Mrsjackson

Need opinions (AOS and SSN name change)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Elle29 said:

when I went to apply for my Washington State ID, the lady asked me if do I want to start using my married name but I insisted that I’ll stick with my maiden name for the meantime since I haven’t applied for my AOS during that time. Thank God we got a good advise from the guy working at Chase that if I want to start using my married name, I should do it first on any immigration documents that I will be filing. 

Yes, lucky you. I am really hoping I won’t have to pay 89 freaking dollars all over again for the same card just one day later but most likely will haha. Just thankful I get some good advice on here at least!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

From what i've read here.. I can only add this.

If you get SSN in your maiden name, get married, Change name, THEN file AOS. It won't be an issue. Reason? SSofficer explained that the first time you apply, it's then "attached" to your file with DHS, USCIS (hence the SAVE system). In other words, when You apply for your first SSN, they connect those two "cases" and "attach" together. So when you DO a name change, they won't need to manually recheck everything once again.
Now with your situation.. since your AoS is filed already, i'd say as everyone else, revert back to maiden name as i can guarantee having 2 different names on different ID forms will be confusing as hell for anyone handling your case. Wait for EAD.
I believe they will allow you to adjust any data produced on GC during interview, as i imagine they do when you naturalize "whether nothing changed since you filed".

In worst case scenario, you'll still have Naturalization pretty soon, if you choose to be naturalized. Then you can do whatever you want with your name. You probably could even get "Megatron 3000" lol.

In other words, try to keep all paperwork in the same way/names, that you filed AoS. There will be plenty of opportunities to change the name.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We were married on K1 Visa in March 2019. Before we were married I applied for a SSN under my maiden name and after marriage I returned to SSA to apply for married name. 

After this I went to DMV and applied for a temp DL. British Columbia and Washington have an agreement so I brought in MC and other docs. I currently have a paper doc showing DL until it comes via mail. DMV was sticky ,borderline rude but I eventually spoke with a gentleman who knew his job and DL was approved. 

We have been able to open a joint bank account using my MC and temp DL using my married name. I did use my married name on AOS.

Fingers crossed for all this paperwork 🙂

22 hours ago, Mrsjackson said:

Yes, lucky you. I am really hoping I won’t have to pay 89 freaking dollars all over again for the same card just one day later but most likely will haha. Just thankful I get some good advice on here at least!

That is a very expensive ID. Lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.