Jen&Cal

Filed for AOS ( I-485 ) back in December - is it really suppose to take this long before he can work?

23 posts in this topic

We had K1, got married November 27th., filed I-485 Form I-864 Form I-131 Form I-765, in December. In late January they summoned us to the local building where all they did was take fingerprints. We haven't heard anything since then. Is it really suppose to take this long for him to be able to work? Seems like they would want him being a productive member of society not at home for months... also he can't even get his license yet ? ( north carolina ) What do they expect him to do in this time? Are we doing this right?

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Unfortunately, these are negative aspects of a K-1.  As reported by other VJ members, the average time for an initial EAD is 147 days.  I have seen some EAD renewals taking much longer.  There is really nothing you can do except wait and keep busy......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, Jen&Cal said:

We had K1, got married November 27th., filed I-485 Form I-864 Form I-131 Form I-765, in December. In late January they summoned us to the local building where all they did was take fingerprints. We haven't heard anything since then. Is it really suppose to take this long for him to be able to work? Seems like they would want him being a productive member of society not at home for months... also he can't even get his license yet ? ( north carolina ) What do they expect him to do in this time? Are we doing this right?

Thank you

In the meantime you're expected to provide for him. 

He can research jobs already, pick up a hobby, etc. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, Roel said:

In the meantime you're expected to provide for him. 

He can research jobs already, pick up a hobby, etc. 

I see this comment a lot, and a lot of the times I disagree due to the circumstances, but with a K1... That's what you sign up for, unfortunately. 

OP, if your husband gets a job offer in the meantime, you could attempt to expedite, though it's not guaranteed. 

It appears that you live in Wilmington, which is a fantastic place to explore on foot or with minimal Uber. However, if you live outside city center, I get the driver's license issue completely. 

If you're within a walk or a bike ride away, there is stuff to do I'm sure. Volunteering, libraries, what have you. If not, he can look into free online courses to pass the time. All in all, that's the downside of the path you've chosen, so all you can do is make the best of it before the workday grind comes around. If you've always wanted a dog... maybe now's the time. You know. Little things. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey all... I'm in the same boat, applying for my now-wife (yay!) to get her work permission and permission to travel. We received the K1 in January, just got married on 3/16, and are now sending off the I-485, along with the I-765 request to work and I-131 application for travel document. Seeing the wait times is a little disappointing. Fortunately, we do not need to rely on her earning income, so she is going to be doing volunteer work in her field, which will not only keep her busy and help her work on her English, but also will be good networking and establishing contacts in her field. 

My question is, does the permission to travel take as long to receive as the permission to work card? We bought a round-trip ticket for her to come here on the K1 (since it was cheaper than a one-way anyway, go figure) so that she can take a trip back to Colombia in June to visit her family. Is there any chance that she won't be able to travel by June? This entire process is such a grind... but we are so glad to be done with the super long-distance relationship! 

04/12/18 - Mailed I-129F

04/16/18 - USCIS received I-129F

04/19/18 - NOA1 Notice Date

04/23/18 - NOA1 hardcopy received 

10/16/18 - NOA2

11/13/18 - Received Packet 3

01/08/19 - Interview at Embassy in Bogota

01/16/19 - Visa in hand

01/26/19 - Kelly arrives in US

03/16/19 - MARRIED! 

03/22/19 - Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131

09/05/19 - Notice of Approval for I-765 and I-131 Received

09/11/19 - Employment Authorization card delivered to wrong address, still waiting for it...

11/14/19 - Permanent Residence Interview Schedule

5 minutes ago, VegasJohn said:

Hey all... I'm in the same boat, applying for my now-wife (yay!) to get her work permission and permission to travel. We received the K1 in January, just got married on 3/16, and are now sending off the I-485, along with the I-765 request to work and I-131 application for travel document. Seeing the wait times is a little disappointing. Fortunately, we do not need to rely on her earning income, so she is going to be doing volunteer work in her field, which will not only keep her busy and help her work on her English, but also will be good networking and establishing contacts in her field. 

My question is, does the permission to travel take as long to receive as the permission to work card? We bought a round-trip ticket for her to come here on the K1 (since it was cheaper than a one-way anyway, go figure) so that she can take a trip back to Colombia in June to visit her family. Is there any chance that she won't be able to travel by June? This entire process is such a grind... but we are so glad to be done with the super long-distance relationship! 

Yes. If you filed EAD and AP at the same time they will come on a Combo card.

It is taking 4.5 to 6.5 months right now. June is doubtful.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes. If you filed EAD and AP at the same time they will come on a Combo card.

It is taking 4.5 to 6.5 months right now. June is doubtful.

That's what I was afraid of... I recall many months ago while in the K1 waiting months seeing that it was approximately a 3 month wait. I guess it's taking longer now... does anyone know of any circumstances under which these requests can be expedited? I realize that's doubtful, but worth asking I suppose. 

04/12/18 - Mailed I-129F

04/16/18 - USCIS received I-129F

04/19/18 - NOA1 Notice Date

04/23/18 - NOA1 hardcopy received 

10/16/18 - NOA2

11/13/18 - Received Packet 3

01/08/19 - Interview at Embassy in Bogota

01/16/19 - Visa in hand

01/26/19 - Kelly arrives in US

03/16/19 - MARRIED! 

03/22/19 - Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131

09/05/19 - Notice of Approval for I-765 and I-131 Received

09/11/19 - Employment Authorization card delivered to wrong address, still waiting for it...

11/14/19 - Permanent Residence Interview Schedule

2 minutes ago, VegasJohn said:

That's what I was afraid of... I recall many months ago while in the K1 waiting months seeing that it was approximately a 3 month wait. I guess it's taking longer now... does anyone know of any circumstances under which these requests can be expedited? I realize that's doubtful, but worth asking I suppose. 

You could expedite AP but it's based on strict grounds. A dying, immediate relative would suffice but you'd need letters from doctors stating that was the case. A simple family visit would not.

4 hours ago, VegasJohn said:

does anyone know of any circumstances under which these requests can be expedited?

USCIS reviews all expedite requests on a case-by-case basis and requests are granted at the discretion of the office leadership. The burden is on the applicant or petitioner to demonstrate that one or more of the expedite criteria have been met.

USCIS may expedite a petition or application if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

-Severe financial loss to company or person;

-Emergency situation;

-Humanitarian reasons;

-Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;

-Department of Defense or national interest situation (These particular expedite requests must come from an official U.S. government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the government.);

-USCIS error; or

-Compelling interest of USCIS.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

Note: those are just the criteria to apply for an expedite. Whether or not a request is granted is at the discretion of the "office leadership".

6 hours ago, eckoin said:

I see this comment a lot, and a lot of the times I disagree due to the circumstances, but with a K1... That's what you sign up for, unfortunately. 

OP, if your husband gets a job offer in the meantime, you could attempt to expedite, though it's not guaranteed. 

It appears that you live in Wilmington, which is a fantastic place to explore on foot or with minimal Uber. However, if you live outside city center, I get the driver's license issue completely. 

If you're within a walk or a bike ride away, there is stuff to do I'm sure. Volunteering, libraries, what have you. If not, he can look into free online courses to pass the time. All in all, that's the downside of the path you've chosen, so all you can do is make the best of it before the workday grind comes around. If you've always wanted a dog... maybe now's the time. You know. Little things. 

Thank you - he is doing fine and we are staying busy but I just wanted to make sure we did everything correctly and that its normal to not hear anything for this long and such ! Didn't want to wait 6 months then find out we did something wrong... ! ( we relied on rapidvisa this time ) 

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. 

20 hours ago, Jen&Cal said:

What do they expect him to do in this time?

Create some projects for him to do: clean the garage, fix the bathroom, remodel the house, start a garden .... I don't know. 

And you live in Wilmington, NC. If he can't find things to do in a college town located at a beach, he has issues... I used to go to Wilmington all the time when I lived in Raleigh.

Try living in Iowa like I do now, we had snow last Saturday, 3 inches.... 

Edited by USS_Voyager

58 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Create some projects for him to do: clean the garage, fix the bathroom, remodel the house, start a garden .... I don't know. 

And you live in Wilmington, NC. If he can't find things to do in a college town located at a beach, he has issues... I used to go to Wilmington all the time when I lived in Raleigh.

Try living in Iowa like I do now, we had snow last Saturday, 3 inches.... 

As the spouse at home, lists and projects have helped a LOT.   It also helped that we moved the week after filing AOS so I got to do all the fun stuff like painting, unpacking, picking furniture, hanging pictures and so on. Kept me busy all day every day for a few weeks.  

Now that the snow is finally starting to melt, I'm planning out the vegetable garden I'll plant when the ground isn't frozen (or a mud puddle) and we'll get a puppy in May so that will need training.   Also learning how to cook new dishes and do a lot of higher-end baking (I always wanted to be a Pastry Chef so I'm slowly learning how to make some of the things I'd have learned had I gone to culinary school) to send to work with hubby.   As soon as the weather is good enough, I'll be able to get out and go for long walks and bike rides again - right now where there isn't snow/ice there's mud so I'll wait a few more weeks. 

It's a grind for sure. I'm 34 and I've been working full time since I was 18, so it's a huge mental shift for me to go from being totally independant to being a house-wife.  We knew this was a downside of the whole process so there's nothing to do but try to keep busy and enjoy being together.   Thankfully we're in a very fortunate financial position of me not NEEDING to work since we both have significant savings and Hubby gets paid very well and we live in an area where cost of living is exceptionally low - but one of these days I'd like to have a job just to give me a reason to get out of the house and so I can feel like I'm financially contributing as well as emotionally. 

5 hours ago, VegasJohn said:

My question is, does the permission to travel take as long to receive as the permission to work card? We bought a round-trip ticket for her to come here on the K1 (since it was cheaper than a one-way anyway, go figure) so that she can take a trip back to Colombia in June to visit her family. Is there any chance that she won't be able to travel by June?

Yes it does.

If you don't make the return flight, be sure to cancel it at least a few days beforehand. Sometimes the carrier will submit the flight manifest beforehand, resulting in an RFE/NOID/Denial letter from USCIS saying they left the US without AP and therefore abandoned AOS. Instead of dealing with that hassle and delay, avoid it altogether by cancelling beforehand.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.