Boiler

Tripadvisor should stop covering up sexual assaults

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

The overall tone of the reviews is probably going to be slightly more negative than the reality just because of that.

Isn't this the truth.  More often than I can count, I've read reviews on TA that seem to indicate a roach motel that should be torn down, but the place is actually fine.  In such instances, I take pains to write reviews to the positive contrary.

On the other hand, I saw one roach motel on TA for which the manager had obviously recruited positive reviews.  Her name was mentioned positively in each; her stellar service was talked about more than the facility itself was; and each review was posted from mobile sources by one-time posters who had ethnic names associatable with that of the manager.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know people setting up short term rentals will usually get friends to do a few good reviews to get them going.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I know people setting up short term rentals will usually get friends to do a few good reviews to get them going.

And that is the fallacy of these review tools (i.e. TA, Yelp, Home Advisor, Angie's List, etc.).

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Isn't this the truth.  More often than I can count, I've read reviews on TA that seem to indicate a roach motel that should be torn down, but the place is actually fine.  In such instances, I take pains to write reviews to the positive contrary.

On the other hand, I saw one roach motel on TA for which the manager had obviously recruited positive reviews.  Her name was mentioned positively in each; her stellar service was talked about more than the facility itself was; and each review was posted from mobile sources by one-time posters who had ethnic names associatable with that of the manager.

That's why when I do use TripAdvisor I am very thorough in regards to what I read and what places to stay at. Some reviews are complete BS because that person was not happy about one little thing. But overall I have been quite happy with them. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That's why when I do use TripAdvisor I am very thorough in regards to what I read and what places to stay at. Some reviews are complete BS because that person was not happy about one little thing. But overall I have been quite happy with them. 

Even being thorough does not guarantee accuracy in my opinion.  I have read reviews on these sites at times, but honestly, I find opinions of people that have actually experienced something more reliable than something I read on the internet.

Timeline

Some people are thorough most are not.

I have a friend who rents a house out short term, he says his business is mainly pot heads and skiers.

His listing shows exactly where he is, a long drive from a ski resort.What seems to happen is that they search by the ski resort and by price and the ski resort is expensive so he pops up despite being an hour and whatever drive away, so they book. And then give him a bad review for location.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

29 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Some people are thorough most are not.

I have a friend who rents a house out short term, he says his business is mainly pot heads and skiers.

His listing shows exactly where he is, a long drive from a ski resort.What seems to happen is that they search by the ski resort and by price and the ski resort is expensive so he pops up despite being an hour and whatever drive away, so they book. And then give him a bad review for location.

That's what I mean when people leave BS reviews. When I am researching a place I tend to do extensive research. So it irks me to see when people do not do research about a place then complain about it. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That's what I mean when people leave BS reviews. When I am researching a place I tend to do extensive research. So it irks me to see when people do not do research about a place then complain about it. 

I need to have a look at his listing, I know he has only being doing this a year or so but he started cheap so has been very busy, he might be approaching 100?

Hardly anybody is going to go through all those, they might read the more recent.

His issue is that what most people do notice is his Star rating. Basically he is marked out of 5 and if your average goes down to 4 or less then you are at risk of being booted of the system.

8 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Yeah, I will also usually leave a review if my experience is contrary to what I have come across. If I expected a great place and had a poor experience I will describe that, but also if I stay in a place that did not have great reviews and I thought it was good, I try to make a point of writing about that too.

Sometimes it's a one off thing maybe like noisy neighbors or something that I don't really review. It sucks, but it's hard to say based on one night that something is a ongoing issue. Often it comes down to the attitude of the staff. We stayed at a highly recommended and well rated place once that ended up being infested with mice. We asked for a different room but they were full and the person at the desk then described to us where the mice were getting in and suggested we plug the gap with a pillow. To which my response was if you already know all that, why is it still an issue. Then I had to wonder if the pillow I was currently using had been previously used to plug a mouse hole. We ended up leaving the place at 0100 and driving home in the middle of the night. Well that was all in my review.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Yeah, I will also usually leave a review if my experience is contrary to what I have come across. If I expected a great place and had a poor experience I will describe that, but also if I stay in a place that did not have great reviews and I thought it was good, I try to make a point of writing about that too.

Sometimes it's a one off thing maybe like noisy neighbors or something that I don't really review. It sucks, but it's hard to say based on one night that something is a ongoing issue. Often it comes down to the attitude of the staff. We stayed at a highly recommended and well rated place once that ended up being infested with mice. We asked for a different room but they were full and the person at the desk then described to us where the mice were getting in and suggested we plug the gap with a pillow. To which my response was if you already know all that, why is it still an issue. Then I had to wonder if the pillow I was currently using had been previously used to plug a mouse hole. We ended up leaving the place at 0100 and driving home in the middle of the night. Well that was all in my review.

Plugging a mouse hole may have been the most innocent thing the pillow was used for.

:devil:

3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Plugging a mouse hole may have been the most innocent thing the pillow was used for.

:devil:

Probably. That's why I hate staying in hotels in the first place. Normally I like to shower at night, but when I stay in hotels I have to have one in the morning too. And I don't even want to think about what might have happened in the shower previously.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

If a service or place was decent,  one should always leave feedbsck.

I always look at reviews before O buy on Amazon. 

One of my pet peeves is people who are jerks to service staff.

Went out with a couple the other night. The guy berated the waiter, who did a good job, becuse he did not ask if we wanted dessert at the time he thought he should have. The waiter apologies and gives him the dessert menu. The guy replies he didnt want dessert he only wanted to know why he didnt offer it. I apologized for the jerk, have not dined with them since then 

On 3/20/2019 at 11:40 AM, Bill & Katya said:

I like to experience life and not through the eyes of someone else that very well may be a crazy person.

this made me laugh at how true it is....

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson