jg121783

2A GROUPS STUNNED AFTER COURT ALLOWS SANDY HOOK FAMILIES TO SUE GUN MAKERS

65 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

99% of all lawyers give the rest a bad name.

I believe it's 99.999%.

1 hour ago, spookyturtle said:

I think we have plenty of strict gun laws. Unfortunately, most criminals and murderers don’t obey the law.

You hit the nail on the head. NZ has some of the strictest gun laws in the world and look what happened. Do you think the shooter stopped for even one second to think about the strict gun laws? I doubt it. Gun laws don't affect criminals because they don't follow the law. The only thing that stops a criminal with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Unfortunatly gun laws prevent the good guys who actually follow the law from having guns that criminals will still obtain and use in crimes. By putting strict gun laws in place you essentially give criminals a monopoly on gun ownership.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am reasonably certain many guns still change hands informally in Colorado.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

If purchased prior to April 2013, then you are golden.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0198.htm

I wasn’t suggesting you guys are actually lone wolves in not doing background checks.  I never have either, other than when buying from a dealer. Like you (I am guessing), both parties knew and trusted each other, which I think negates the BG check, if you’ve known them for a long time.  But I would never sell a gun to a stranger without going thru a dealer, just to protect myself; but that’s me being worried about a future lawsuit.

The last time I bought a gun, they did not even do a BG check on me, because my CCW permit was less than a year old.

Background checks may or may not be required for a private party sale. However the seller can be held criminally liable if they sell to someone who shouldn't own a gun or the gun is used in a crime. That gives the seller incentive to know who they are selling to.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

10 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

If purchased prior to April 2013, then you are golden.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0198.htm

I wasn’t suggesting you guys are actually lone wolves in not doing background checks.  I never have either, other than when buying from a dealer. Like you (I am guessing), both parties knew and trusted each other, which I think negates the BG check, if you’ve known them for a long time.  But I would never sell a gun to a stranger without going thru a dealer, just to protect myself; but that’s me being worried about a future lawsuit.

The last time I bought a gun, they did not even do a BG check on me, because my CCW permit was less than a year old.

Oh lord no we'd never buy from or sell to a stranger unless that stranger was a registered dealer at a gun store!  I get that other people don't have qualms though. My husband has known both friends since they were in the military together. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

So it is strange to think that a judge might be swayed by their own emotional or political leanings?  In my opinion it is pretty naïve to think that judges are not human.  Now whether they are right or wrong is a matter of opinion.

It strange for someone to think is happening with every judge, every time they don't agree with the decision, yes. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

Might be the fix in your opinion,  but consider for a moment that all the laws we currently have in place didn't prevent the shooting.  It's already against the law to commit murder.  It's not legal to use a firearm against another human unless it is in self defense.   It's illegal to physically assault another, to threaten them.  And yet... people who choose to do these things care not one whit for the law.   It's almost like they don't care.  It's almost like there is something missing from their basic humanity when they decide to end another's life.

The gun laws we currently have in place SHOULD have prevented all killings in the US.  Just as all drunk driving laws SHOULD prevent alcohol-related deaths.  More laws won't fix either, unless you are wanting to bring back the death penalty in all states for taking another's life.

Our current gun laws are a joke. Not all states takes away guns from people who shouldn't have them. Do you think mentally ill people and people who abuse their partners should have guns? 

That's a ridiculous. Death penalty doesn't prevent anything. 

Edited by Unidentified

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Our current gun laws are a joke. Not all states takes away guns from people who shouldn't have them. Do you think mentally ill people and people who abuse their partners should have guns? 

Define mentally ill.

Define abuse.

For this purpose.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just looking at Sandy Hook, I have a hard time seeing what difference any change in the law would have made with the outcome. The shooter didn't own the guns and probably couldn't have ever been able to buy one legally. I would ask his mom why he had access to her guns, but since she was the first victim, we will never know that. In many of these events, parents never seem to have saw the signs. It seems to be a common theme. If the first time you know your kid has a problem is when he blows away a bunch of his classmates or kids at a school, there is something wrong with that scenario that is not fixable through the legal system.

Edited by Steeleballz

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

No, I don't think the mentally ill should have guns, and the majority do not.  But... a sane person 5 years ago who purchased a gun may not be as sane today.  How do you go about proving their lack of fitness to own one now?  And what about the mentally challenged ones who either steal, or "borrow" a gun from a relative to kill?  Pretty hard to shut those down too.

I won't even get into the domestic abuse argument, that's a whole other ball of goodness for another thread.

And yes, the death penalty is a great deterrent, still in use today in countries where crime is lower than ours.  Knowing there are consequences for a crime is a great deterrent.  That's why we as parents spank our kids, to teach them that actions have consequences, and doing the right thing even when no one is looking is the best way.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

Google it. 

ROFL so you have no clue, thought not.

Filed: Timeline
3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Just looking at Sandy Hook, I have a hard time seeing what difference any change in the law would have made with the outcome. The shooter didn't own the guns and probably couldn't have ever been able to buy one legally. I would ask his mom why he had access to her guns, but since she was the first victim, we will never know that. In many of these events, parents never seem to have saw the signs. It seems to be a common theme. If the first time you know your kid has a problem is when he blows away a bunch of his classmates or kids at a school, there is something wrong with that scenario that is not fixable through the legal system.

Precisely. 

As to why he had access, probably for the same reason anyone in my abode who knows where they are kept have access.  I keep them loaded, and they are not locked up.  I'm sure the shooter's mom either didn't lock them up, or the kid knew where the key was.  Either way, locks only deter the honest criminals.

Edited by ALFKAD

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

ROFL so you have no clue, thought not.

No you clearly have no clue about what domestic violence and mental abuse is. I'm not going to give you a lesson. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

No, I don't think the mentally ill should have guns, and the majority do not.  But... a sane person 5 years ago who purchased a gun may not be as sane today.  How do you go about proving their lack of fitness to own one now?  And what about the mentally challenged ones who either steal, or "borrow" a gun from a relative to kill?  Pretty hard to shut those down too.

I won't even get into the domestic abuse argument, that's a whole other ball of goodness for another thread.

And yes, the death penalty is a great deterrent, still in use today in countries where crime is lower than ours.  Knowing there are consequences for a crime is a great deterrent.  That's why we as parents spank our kids, to teach them that actions have consequences, and doing the right thing even when no one is looking is the best way.

It is not a deterrent (scientifically proven) and you're one of the few countries in the world where it's legally okay to abuse your kids. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

It is not a deterrent (scientifically proven) and you're one of the few countries in the world where it's legally okay to abuse your kids. 

I am the recipient of abusive posts all the time, now as long as they do not breach the VJ ToS I let them slide.

And your ability to spot someone who is mentally ill is impressive.