D & T

NAME CHANGE

57 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, D & T said:

Oh sweet! We’re neighbors haha! Did your wife change hers there without any trouble? Will go there tomorrow then!

I’m calling USCIS office now just to have an official answer to tell them tomorrow.

I like the triad! I spent 2 long periods with my old tourist visa with my husband here so I’m pretty used to it! I like the Cat Cafe over there! And the brazilians always get together there for church on Sundays :)

Yeah we had no issue with that office at all when we got her SSN and later on after marriage to change it. 

I am born and raised in Triad so I am used to it, but we recently moved back here from living in Los Angeles. So it's my wife's first time living here and it took alittle bit to get used to since it's so small compared to Los Angeles.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah we had no issue with that office at all when we got her SSN and later on after marriage to change it. 

I am born and raised in Triad but we recently moved back here from Los Angeles. So it's my wife's first time living here and it took alittle bit to get used to since it's so small compared to Los Angeles.

That’s awesome. Will definitely to there tomorrow. I requested my SSN so I’ll take that receipt with me just in case.

I’m glad I came here as a tourist before because the adaptation can be though for those who come from bigger cities. I used to live in Dubai before so for me it was a HUGE difference. Now I’m more used to a low paced life but I still have a thing for big cities haha. My husband and I are opened for moving one day so who knows. So I can definitely relate your wife’s adaptation 

8 minutes ago, D & T said:

That’s awesome. Will definitely to there tomorrow. I requested my SSN so I’ll take that receipt with me just in case.

I’m glad I came here as a tourist before because the adaptation can be though for those who come from bigger cities. I used to live in Dubai before so for me it was a HUGE difference. Now I’m more used to a low paced life but I still have a thing for big cities haha. My husband and I are opened for moving one day so who knows. So I can definitely relate your wife’s adaptation 

I miss Dubai so much.... I used to go to Dubai alot back in the day when I worked in Afghanistan. I actually met my wife when we both were working in Doha, Qatar. 

She does miss living in a big city for the amenities but sure loves the QOL here in NC. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I miss Dubai so much.... I used to go to Dubai alot back in the day when I worked in Afghanistan. I actually met my wife when we both were working in Doha, Qatar. 

She does miss living in a big city for the amenities but sure loves the QOL here in NC. 

I miss Dubai as well. I met my husband there during one of his working trips. He still goes a lot to Qatar for work by the way.

I just called USCIS and they said I should book an infopass with the local USCIS and ask. The lady seemed pretty lost to be honest. I’ll definitely follow your advice and go to Greensboro tomorrow. Should I just take my passport + visa and my marriage certificate or there’s another document I should carry with me as well?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You will have to request a new green card with a marriage certificate as proof for your name change. This is a very expensive process. I went through it with my wife. The new card cost over $500 (I can't remember the exact amount), and with the new GC we went the SSA office and they changed it, new SS card was delivered in the mail.

“I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.”

“I AM NOT ACCREDITED TO REPRESENT YOU BEFORE THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE AND THE IMMIGRATION BOARD OF APPEALS.”

Married: 03September2010

Beneficiary Country: Colombia

CR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 21March2011

USCIS Expedited Approved: 21June2011

NOA2: 21June2011

NVC Expedite Approved: 14September2011

Interview: 21October2011

POE: 28October2011

I-90 (Name Change)

NOA1: 03January2012

Biometrics: 07February2012

Approved: 07February2012

ROC (Approved)

NOA1: 28October2013

Interview: 22November2013

Approved: 11March2014

***Moved back to Colombia to finish graduate studies. Wife filed I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence Status) at the tourist visa interview. After finishing graduate school, we decided to move back to the U.S.***

B1/B2 (Approved)

DS-160: 12June2017

Interview: 12July2017

Filed I-407: 12July2017

IR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 09October2018

USCIS Expedite Approved: 05April2019

NOA2: 09April2019

NVC Expedite Approved: 23May2019

Interview: 10June2019

POE: 29June2019

Timeline
31 minutes ago, ArmyVet said:

You will have to request a new green card with a marriage certificate as proof for your name change. This is a very expensive process. I went through it with my wife. The new card cost over $500 (I can't remember the exact amount), and with the new GC we went the SSA office and they changed it, new SS card was delivered in the mail.

Does on your marriage certificate shows the name change? Mine doesn’t. It only shows my maiden name. Would it be possible to change with USCIS like this?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
36 minutes ago, D & T said:

Does on your marriage certificate shows the name change? Mine doesn’t. It only shows my maiden name. Would it be possible to change with USCIS like this?

it depends to your state..some state allow automatically name change of a female spouse who wants to use their husband name..as what my husband told me before some state dont allow name change through marriage and they have to do it in court(i have no idea how to do it). My situation is different than mine as i came here with k1 visa.. My marriage certificate only showed my maiden name but during our aos we indicate that i use my married name because it is allowed and legal in my husband state to use his name via marriage.

You should follow what USCIS told you.

Do the infopass then tell them your concern and what can you do to fix it.

Timeline
45 minutes ago, D & T said:

Mine only showed my wife's maiden name. However, with your first SS card proof of legal status is required (GC or Passport) and the SS will be issued in that name. A marriage certificate is enough to change your name, some more info here:

Marriage - Change Your Maiden Name

If you are recently married and would like to change your maiden name, you don't need to file a petition with the court. Instead, your marriage certificate serves as your "proof," and you just need to update the Department of Motor Vehicles, banks, credit cards, etc.

First, you need certified copies of your marriage certificate. A photocopy will not be sufficient. Call the office where your marriage certificate was issued, and ask to get about three certified copies. These will typically have a raised seal on them.

Next, you should use the certified copy of your marriage certificate as proof to change your name with the following government agencies:

Social Security Administration

You will need to complete Form SS-5 and send it by mail (or deliver it in person) to the Social

Security Administration. There is no cost. You can download the form, as well as instructions on how to complete it, by following this link:
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

The Social Security Administration will also notify the Internal Revenue Service on your behalf, so you do not need to file anything directly with the IRS.

Department of Motor Vehicles

Bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate to the nearest Department of Motor Vehicles office, and let them know that you've changed your name. Oftentimes, you will need to personally appear at the office, so make an appointment if possible. You can change the name on your driver's license, as well as the title to any automobile that you own.

Passport

If your passport was issued one year or less from the date of your marriage, then you will need to complete Form DS-5504 and send it to the US Passport Agency, along with two color photos, a certified copy of your marriage certificate and your old passport:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

If your passport was issued more than one year from the date of your marriage, then you will need to complete a different form - DS-82.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html

Other Institutions

Once you have your new social security card and driver's license, changing your name with other institutions should be fairly straightforward. Some will want proof of marriage, others may want a copy of your new social security card or driver's license. You should contact them individually to see what they require:

Banks and other financial institutions
Credit cards
Post Office
Employer (payroll and retirement plans)
Voter registration
Mortgages / Deeds
Insurance policies
Utilities
State tax authority

The above process is the same if you would like to use a hyphenated last name (with both your maiden name and husband's last name). However, you will need a formal name change petition, filed with the court, if the husband would like to change his name, or if you would like a new last name which is completely different from either your maiden name or the husband's last name.

“I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.”

“I AM NOT ACCREDITED TO REPRESENT YOU BEFORE THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE AND THE IMMIGRATION BOARD OF APPEALS.”

I-90 (Name Change)

ROC (Approved)

***Moved back to Colombia to finish graduate studies. Wife filed I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence Status) at the tourist visa interview. After finishing graduate school, we decided to move back to the U.S.***

B1/B2 (Approved)

Timeline
1 hour ago, ArmyVet said:

Mine only showed my wife's maiden name. However, with your first SS card proof of legal status is required (GC or Passport) and the SS will be issued in that name. A marriage certificate is enough to change your name, some more info here:

Marriage - Change Your Maiden Name

If you are recently married and would like to change your maiden name, you don't need to file a petition with the court. Instead, your marriage certificate serves as your "proof," and you just need to update the Department of Motor Vehicles, banks, credit cards, etc.

First, you need certified copies of your marriage certificate. A photocopy will not be sufficient. Call the office where your marriage certificate was issued, and ask to get about three certified copies. These will typically have a raised seal on them.

Next, you should use the certified copy of your marriage certificate as proof to change your name with the following government agencies:

Social Security Administration

You will need to complete Form SS-5 and send it by mail (or deliver it in person) to the Social

Security Administration. There is no cost. You can download the form, as well as instructions on how to complete it, by following this link:
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

The Social Security Administration will also notify the Internal Revenue Service on your behalf, so you do not need to file anything directly with the IRS.

Department of Motor Vehicles

Bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate to the nearest Department of Motor Vehicles office, and let them know that you've changed your name. Oftentimes, you will need to personally appear at the office, so make an appointment if possible. You can change the name on your driver's license, as well as the title to any automobile that you own.

Passport

If your passport was issued one year or less from the date of your marriage, then you will need to complete Form DS-5504 and send it to the US Passport Agency, along with two color photos, a certified copy of your marriage certificate and your old passport:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

If your passport was issued more than one year from the date of your marriage, then you will need to complete a different form - DS-82.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html

Other Institutions

Once you have your new social security card and driver's license, changing your name with other institutions should be fairly straightforward. Some will want proof of marriage, others may want a copy of your new social security card or driver's license. You should contact them individually to see what they require:

Banks and other financial institutions
Credit cards
Post Office
Employer (payroll and retirement plans)
Voter registration
Mortgages / Deeds
Insurance policies
Utilities
State tax authority

The above process is the same if you would like to use a hyphenated last name (with both your maiden name and husband's last name). However, you will need a formal name change petition, filed with the court, if the husband would like to change his name, or if you would like a new last name which is completely different from either your maiden name or the husband's last name.

I was reading the USCIS website and it asks for a proof that you’ve changed your name before, e.g., SSA, Driver’s License, etc. It states I need ro have another document to prove the legal name change to then change on my green card. I’m a bit confused 😕

I guess my wife and I did this the easy way.  We were married in Philippines.  Her first name is Zoila Mae, yes two first names.  She kept her mothers maiden name as is customary in the Philippines and I think most of the Spanish countries.  She then added my name as her last name. So her name is:   Zoila Mae AXXXX OLSXXX.  This way she could keep her family name which I respected but at the same time she took my last name as an honor.  When she arrived in US her green card and social security came within a few weeks with the same names as were on our wedding certificate from the Philippines.   We didn't have to change anything once she was here.  And no hyphen.  That can make your life miserable having to explain everything over and over again.  Keep it simple.  Good luck and Aloha from Maui, david

Edited by David & Zoila
Typo

5 hours ago, Greekwife said:

I talked about this to my husband when he raised this issue of surname change.

I wish to keep my family name for sentimental reasons too and always reminding me my roots and the country I come from.

Best of luck to you.🙂

I am sure you will find a solution through USCIS.

The great thing is that we all have this choice :-)

3 hours ago, D & T said:

Most, if not all, marriage certs are recorded using both spouses previous names.  In some states, the certificate alone is enough to change it to the other spouse's name without involving the court.  

Changing mine with the SSA (I'm the USC) was actually easier than doing so with my work, which apparently requires an act of god for that!

Timeline
1 hour ago, D & T said:

I was reading the USCIS website and it asks for a proof that you’ve changed your name before, e.g., SSA, Driver’s License, etc. It states I need ro have another document to prove the legal name change to then change on my green card. I’m a bit confused 😕

Nope, all that is needed is a marriage certificate (even of IT has maiden names).  That is all we sent for a replacement GC for my wife and they approved it. It is nearly impossible to change SS and DL without a GC updated.

I-90 (Name Change)

ROC (Approved)

B1/B2 (Approved)

Timeline
8 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

I guess my wife and I did this the easy way.  We were married in Philippines.  Her first name is Zoila Mae, yes two first names.  She kept her mothers maiden name as is customary in the Philippines and I think most of the Spanish countries.  She then added my name as her last name. So her name is:   Zoila Mae AXXXX OLSXXX.  This way she could keep her family name which I respected but at the same time she took my last name as an honor.  When she arrived in US her green card and social security came within a few weeks with the same names as were on our wedding certificate from the Philippines.   We didn't have to change anything once she was here.  And no hyphen.  That can make your life miserable having to explain everything over and over again.  Keep it simple.  Good luck and Aloha from Maui, david

We made our wedding ceremony in Maui! What a place to live 😍

Timeline
7 hours ago, ArmyVet said:

Nope, all that is needed is a marriage certificate (even of IT has maiden names).  That is all we sent for a replacement GC for my wife and they approved it. It is nearly impossible to change SS and DL without a GC updated.

I will go to the SSA of the neighborhood city today to try. If it doesn’t work I’ll try this way 🙏🏻

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.