canadavisa22

Blood test for missing vaccines/immunity?

20 posts in this topic

I had my chickenpox vaccine done in my mid 20s around 10 years ago but can't find a record of it and trying to track down adult immunization records from 10 years ago is incredibly difficult.

Can my family doctor just do a blood test to show if I've gotten it done and then use that as proof at the medical exam?

If you can't present a record that you had the vaccine you will be vaccinated for it again.

Edited by GreenGem

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I’m assuming you never had the chickenpox as a kid?  If you did, you just need to declare that you had it.

For missing vaccinations, you’ll have to get from your doctor again. 

side story: I was about 3-ish weeks too late of tracking down my childhood records.  The doctor who administered all my vaccinations had retired, but kept records at a storage facility.  When I called, they sent over the destruction notice.  3 weeks.  I was so mad. Haha

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

In Ontario I called Public Health and they mailed me a a list of all the vaccinations I have had! It didn't take long for me to get it either was in the mail in about a week. In regards to Chickenpox, I had it as a child, my doctor still made me go get a blood test to show that I was immune. When I go to my medical I'm going to bring all my records including proof that I am immune to chickenpox and do not require the varicella vaccine.

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
12 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

In Ontario I called Public Health and they mailed me a a list of all the vaccinations I have had! It didn't take long for me to get it either was in the mail in about a week. In regards to Chickenpox, I had it as a child, my doctor still made me go get a blood test to show that I was immune. When I go to my medical I'm going to bring all my records including proof that I am immune to chickenpox and do not require the varicella vaccine.

^^ Where were you 3 years ago when I thought I had exhausted all avenues to obtaining my records, and just a shot of everything again!?

Timeline
Just now, Cryssiekins said:

^^ Where were you 3 years ago when I thought I had exhausted all avenues to obtaining my records, and just a shot of everything again!?

I was gallivanting somewhere around Ontario, hadn't re-connected with my now USC fiance... I'm Sorry 😅

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

1 hour ago, sweethrtt said:

I was able to get my immunization record from when I was a kid, but when I was young there was no varicella vaccine. I got that vaccine in my mid 20s before I went to work overseas. So, public health doesn't track that since I was past school age.

I know that I'm out of date for my Tetanus shot and I know I've gotten the chickenpox vaccine (I never had the chickenpox as a child) I just don't have proof of it. So my question is, can I get a blood test to show that I'm immune to the chickenpox now and present that at my medical or does the doctor who does the medical need to see proof of the vaccination?

Edited by canadavisa22

Timeline
2 hours ago, canadavisa22 said:

I was able to get my immunization record from when I was a kid, but when I was young there was no varicella vaccine. I got that vaccine in my mid 20s before I went to work overseas. So, public health doesn't track that since I was past school age.

I know that I'm out of date for my Tetanus shot and I know I've gotten the chickenpox vaccine (I never had the chickenpox as a child) I just don't have proof of it. So my question is, can I get a blood test to show that I'm immune to the chickenpox now and present that at my medical or does the doctor who does the medical need to see proof of the vaccination?

I believe that showing you are immune to it will suffice. From what I read on Dr. Ian Zatzmans website (heath1stmedical.ca) it states either get the varicella shot or provide evidence that you are immune. 

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

19 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

I believe that showing you are immune to it will suffice. From what I read on Dr. Ian Zatzmans website (heath1stmedical.ca) it states either get the varicella shot or provide evidence that you are immune. 

I just checked my immunization record and I got the MMR when I was a year, but only got a measles one when I was just over 10 years old.

On that site, it says you need proof of 2 immunizations for MMR. Did you also have the same immunization history?

Timeline

4 hours ago, GreenGem said:

If you can't present a record that you had the vaccine you will be vaccinated for it again.

Not all medical offices in Canada will give vaccines. Many of them send you home to do it with their doctors.

Titers tests is the best way to go. The last thing you want is to be getting vaccines you do not need and have to wait to finish the series. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
2 hours ago, canadavisa22 said:

I just checked my immunization record and I got the MMR when I was a year, but only got a measles one when I was just over 10 years old.

On that site, it says you need proof of 2 immunizations for MMR. Did you also have the same immunization history?

Seems like I do lol! I am actually getting my mmr in a weeks time as I only had the one immunization! 

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

On 3/19/2019 at 11:19 PM, sweethrtt said:

Seems like I do lol! I am actually getting my mmr in a weeks time as I only had the one immunization! 

Damn, and here I thought I'd only have to get one vaccine.

Looks like I'll need the MMR, Varicella and Tetanus then. I guess I could get the titre test though and possibly skip out on the Varicella.

Do you just ask your family doctor for a referral for the titre test? Or can you just call up a Life Labs or whatever and request it? How much is the cost if any?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.