UKtoUSAsoon

International Driving Permit 1949 doesnt give full driver entitlements

49 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

😂😂.   What country are you from?   My husband is 52 and has had a DL for 35 years, but he had to take both anyway.

I believe it isn’t required for Canadians from Alberta and BC.

Denmark and 57 .. so guess both tests it is ... could of course go to Germany and get a DL there and change that ... but like the idea of a pony too 😂 ... I don't need the DL but guess it would be nice to have ... will they keep my Danish DL when I get a WA one?? Sure would hate to have to do new tests in Dk when we come here 🤔

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 hours ago, AnneA said:

Denmark and 57 .. so guess both tests it is ... could of course go to Germany and get a DL there and change that ... but like the idea of a pony too 😂 ... I don't need the DL but guess it would be nice to have ... will they keep my Danish DL when I get a WA one?? Sure would hate to have to do new tests in Dk when we come here 🤔

In some states they do take your foreign license, I have heard from a couple of Swedes that their Swedish licenses were taken by DMV here in CA when they were approved for their CA license. 

Because of that I didn't even bring my Swedish license to DMV when I took my test, only a copy of it. No way I'll give up my Swedish one that I worked so hard for to get when I was 18 (yes it's hard - and crazy expensive - to get a DL in Sweden, in the US they hand them out like candy so I can understand why a DL isn't as holy here). 

They never asked anything about my Swedish license though. I mentioned that I had a foreign license since many years but I still had to take both written and driver's test. Not a big deal, they're both ridiculously easy. TOO easy, if you ask me. You barely need to know how to drive to pass the test, no wonder why Los Angeles is so full of horrible, horrible drivers.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Scandi said:

In some states they do take your foreign license,

Texas will allow certain immigrants to trade their home-country license for a Texas DL without taking any tests whatsoever.  But the immigrant has to agree to give up the foreign license.......that's what my wife did.....and her Texas license was valid for 7 years (she has a 2 year GC)....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

11 minutes ago, Scandi said:

In some states they do take your foreign license, I have heard from a couple of Swedes that their Swedish licenses were taken by DMV here in CA when they were approved for their CA license. 

Because of that I didn't even bring my Swedish license to DMV when I took my test, only a copy of it. No way I'll give up my Swedish one that I worked so hard for to get when I was 18 (yes it's hard - and crazy expensive - to get a DL in Sweden, in the US they hand them out like candy so I can understand why a DL isn't as holy here). 

They never asked anything about my Swedish license though. I mentioned that I had a foreign license since many years but I still had to take both written and driver's test. Not a big deal, they're both ridiculously easy. TOO easy, if you ask me. You barely need to know how to drive to pass the test, no wonder why Los Angeles is so full of horrible, horrible drivers.

Yes, it is very expensive in Denmark too and it's valid for another 20 years so no way I'll give that up.

I have done the written tests on the internet and they are very easy ... not so worried about the tests it's more the amount of repeated paperwork, waiting, bureaucracy and so on that's rather overwhelming and I really appriciate the Danish system now 😂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
10 hours ago, missileman said:

give up the foreign license

This requirement has always made me uneasy.  The surrendered license isn't the state's to take at will; it's the property of the foreign government that issued it.

I wonder what kind of arguments have erupted on the scene at the DMV when someone has brought that up.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:40 AM, AnneA said:

Washington DMV did not take Alec's NZ license.  He will need it when he goes home to visit!

Welcome to WA, btw.  When you arrive, you will have to go to the Nordic Museum in Seattle's Ballard neighborhood.  It is fantastic, and has recently received the designation of being the national Nordic museum.

Big upgrade from the days when it was housed in an abandoned school, and we kids in the neighborhood would sneak in and hide amongst the dusty 19th century immigrant trunks!

Edited by Jorgedig

Timeline
11 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

This requirement has always made me uneasy.  The surrendered license isn't the state's to take at will; it's the property of the foreign government that issued it.

I wonder what kind of arguments have erupted on the scene at the DMV when someone has brought that up.

The lady at DPS told us that they send it back to the home country.  I guess it is just part of the agreement.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Certainly in the UK once you emmigrate then your UK license is not longer valid, well you are required to update your address and can not have an overseas address.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

The lady at DPS told us that they send it back to the home country.  I guess it is just part of the agreement.

There are agreements between States not Countries, well generally. Might be some really odd exceptions.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There are agreements between States not Countries, well generally. Might be some really odd exceptions.

This is a reciprocity agreement between Taiwan and Texas....

"So far, 21 states have adopted reciprocal driver's license agreements with Taiwan, including Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Oregon, Arizona, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Nevada, Tennessee and Colorado"

Edited by missileman

Timeline
4 minutes ago, missileman said:

This is a reciprocity agreement between Taiwan and Texas....

"So far, 21 states have adopted reciprocal driver's license agreements with Taiwan, including Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Oregon, Arizona, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Nevada, Tennessee and Colorado"

Not the UK, seem to remember Germany has the odd one and no doubt Canada. A clue would be if you get any benefits due to where you are from getting a US license.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Not the UK, seem to remember Germany has the odd one and no doubt Canada. A clue would be if you get any benefits due to where you are from getting a US license.

Some countries drive on the wrong side of the road....😀

I really don't know why only certain states....

Edited by missileman

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

Some countries drive on the wrong side of the road....😀

Like New Zealand?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As you are moving to Florida on a IR1 you are a resident right off the bat. As others have said you will need a FL DL there is no way around it. 

They took my Canadian DL my husband did try to argue with them but it seems they do have Permission from the other countries to do so. I guess the other countries do the same🤷‍♀️. I wasn't going to argue with them it was a pain for them to verify my status. (10 yrs ago we could get them while just on our 90 days K1)  I got the full 7 yrs, I like they are now 10yrs. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Do not take your license with you, problem solved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.