UKtoUSAsoon

International Driving Permit 1949 doesnt give full driver entitlements

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It was a bit of a joke about the number of Spanish speakers in Florida.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, UKtoUSAsoon said:

going to try to get DL asap, as coming in on IR1 visa.

Pretty simple as you have gathered from all the comments--once you arrive on an IR-1 you are considered a resident immediately on day of arrival as a LPR of the US and Florida.  So you will have 30 days to get your FL driver's license or risk getting stopped and fined for driving without a FL license.  The IDP won't help you after 30 days because you'll be a resident.  IDP is for tourists, in the US temporarily.  

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Yep, a year in most cases, Commercial is different and I seriously doubt there is any allowance there.

In many states it is only 30 days if you have moved there.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

In many states it is only 30 days if you have moved there.

Reference to visiting

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, UKtoUSAsoon said:

i did research , and my undertstanding is you need to get DL within 30 days in FL once resident. Become resident by taking employment, register to vote, etc.  Im obviously going to try to get DL asap, as coming in on IR1 visa.

Just wondered why US use 1949 permit rather than the 1968 that other countries use and include the CR1 and DR1 entitlements

Although just checked if you are non resident can drive on IDP and DL from home country.

Only become resident If principle domicile in FL for more than 6 months, registered to vote or takes employment

There is no overall US driver's license of any type.  It is overseen by each state.  I do not know Florida's laws, but Washington state does not recognize any type of "international driving license."  Drivers from foreign countries may drive for up to 30 days on their license, whether they are visiting or intending to move on an immigrant visa.  My husband had to take both the written and road tests here as well.

Timeline

Visiting is different, see replies above.

21 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

There is no overall US driver's license of any type.  It is overseen by each state.  I do not know Florida's laws, but Washington state does not recognize any type of "international driving license."  Drivers from foreign countries may drive for up to 30 days on their license, whether they are visiting or intending to move on an immigrant visa.  My husband had to take both the written and road tests here as well.

Hopefully moving to WA soon ... my fiancé says I wouldn't need the road test since I've had DL for 30+ years just the written test (which is bad enough with all the weird signs and driving out on red 😱) ... think I might try to convince him to get me a pony instead of a car 😂

1 hour ago, AnneA said:

Hopefully moving to WA soon ... my fiancé says I wouldn't need the road test since I've had DL for 30+ years just the written test (which is bad enough with all the weird signs and driving out on red 😱) ... think I might try to convince him to get me a pony instead of a car 😂

😂😂.   What country are you from?   My husband is 52 and has had a DL for 35 years, but he had to take both anyway.

I believe it isn’t required for Canadians from Alberta and BC.

1 hour ago, AnneA said:

Unfortunately even experienced drivers from all but a few countries have to take both the written and road test.

CF6D63FF-5820-4E5A-B468-0D2672349369.png

Edited by Jorgedig

23 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

The Department of State Office of Foreign Missions does issue "US" driver's licences, so at least one type is existing.

Visitors can drive using their foreign licences, for the duration of their stay, usually.

1 hour ago, Lemonslice said:

The Department of State Office of Foreign Missions does issue "US" driver's licences, so at least one type is existing.

Visitors can drive using their foreign licences, for the duration of their stay, usually.

Well yes, but not to the general public.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.