MaryDave1992

Detailed Medical Experience at Knightsbridge

19 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, MaryDave1992 said:

Hey guys, I have just been to the medical at Knightsbridge and figure it'd be helpful to leave a detailed account of my experience. I tend to suffer with social anxiety, so I'm going to go into specific detail for anyone else who wants that level of detail before they go. For me, I tend to handle situations a lot better if I have a clear mental picture before heading in to it.

So let's start with getting there. I went by train from the Midlands. I've been in Merseyside for the last few months, but you can save a huge amount by getting a train from somewhere like Stafford or Birmingham. Fortunately, that's where my mum lives, so I could travel from there and save more than a hundred pounds. I also checked "split" the tickets to get them even cheaper. The medical is expensive enough, cut the cost on travel wherever you can.

The clinic is about twenty minutes' walk from London Euston, more or less. If the weather is nice, walk it. The tube only takes you half way anyway. Don't waste the money. Besides, if you're from up north, it's a nice opportunity to see some London architecture on the way to the clinic. Google Maps is going to tell you you need to make a number of turns. Don't wait to get to the corner of your turn to cross the road! Some of the roads are not pedestrian friendly near Euston. Cross whenever you can to get on the side of the road you're turning. Ignore the numbers on the buildings when you get on to Bentinck. Get to the pub and look opposite. The email confirmation they sent you has a photo that you can confirm with.

You need to press a buzzer but there's no awkward chatter, they just press a button inside and the door unlocks. You're not going upstairs, the clinic is ground floor and immediately on your right through the big doors. I was about twenty minutes early, so the receptionist told me to sit down in the waiting room. You don't get the piss cup or give in any paperwork until the exact time of your appointment. So, get a little disposable cup of water and relax. My appointment was mid-afternoon and there was basically no one else there but me. Fairly relaxed and quick processing.

When your watch says it's appointment time, go back to the reception and hand in your paperwork. The list they give you in the email is all you need to go by. Now, I actually lived in Spain for a while and I was confused about all of the criminal record stuff. If you lived abroad, you need a criminal record check for the interview but not the medical. The clinic doesn't even need originals of anything except for your passport. Photocopy everything before you get here. Keep originals for the interview and life after in the US. Don't worry if you give them the four passport photos and you haven't cut them down to individuals yet, they can do that for you. They'll check you've brought everything and then glue each of your pictures to paperwork of their own. You have to check they have your name and DOB right on the stickers they're going to use for all your fluids (blood and the urine you provide). Then, they give you another checklist questionnaire and the piss cup. Bathroom's right behind you and it's more like in your house than a public one with urinals. You can do these whenever. The questionnaire is just a longer version of the one you've done already. Lots of specific medical issues for you to say you do or don't have. Might need to Google some of these. If there's any you're not sure about (there are a couple that are weirdly worded, as if to ask if you've ever had an alcoholic drink) you can leave them blank and ask the nurse/doctor when you get your blood taken, so don't stress about it now. When you've pissed in the cup and filled in the questionnaire, give them back in reception and chill in the waiting room again.

When it's time, someone will come and call your name. Seems like it can be in any order that the do the x-ray and blood, but they'll take turns summoning you. I did blood first, so I was taken into a room just like at your GP (typical doctor's office). You answer some basic questions, as if you're doing the questionnaire again, and sign some paperwork. They measure and weigh you before asking you to lie on a bed. Socks off and sleeve up. Blood pressure and then they take blood. Drink lots of water before you come to make this bit easier. After blood, you will need to lift your shirt up or take it off so your heart and lungs can be tested. The test comes down to just a stethoscope and deep breaths. After that, you find out why your socks are off... they're going poke your feet a bit and maybe tickle them. Well, she didn't intentionally tickle my feet, but I'm really ticklish, so that's all it seemed like to me. It's actually your reflexes and your pulse in your feet. After that, it's socks back on and you're all done. Back to the waiting room.

Next time your name is called (if you also do blood first), it's for the x-ray. Shirt off, chest against a big apparatus while you do the funky chicken pose and the picture is taken. Pretty quick and straightforward. Once you're dressed and back in the waiting room, you're done. You only need to hear your name one last time.

Finally, you're summoned back to reception. You get your passport back, a sheet of paper with your vaccination documentation cleared for the US Department of State and a separate sheet of FAQs. Both of these are just for you. The DoS one will be handy for Adjustment of Status once you're in the US and married. There's a separate copy sent ahead of you for the interview, so you don't need to bring yours.

Then you pay. If you brought all of the right paperwork with you and you've had all the vaccinations you needed, that's it. I can't speak for when something is missing, but that's the whole process. Took me less than an hour. Everyone was quite nice and they try to make it less scary for you. Once you're done, there's only one hurdle left.

It's not as bad as you might think, if you're anxious like I am.

Exactly this, apart from when I had mine 2:30pm on a Friday, everyone seemed to be there and the waiting room was heaving with no water available. Thankfully I'd definitely topped my bladder up before entering so getting the cup and the woman saying "has to be half filled"... that wasn't an issue. 

I'm glad you had a smooth process, this was the most daunting one for me but then I came out thinking "wow, that was it?!" 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is great, I’m currently waiting for my nvc case number to be assigned and then I’ll be booking my medical. This was very helpful.

Also I’m actually from Merseyside myself (even though I’ve been living in Luxembourg for the last few months with my fiancé). 

Timeline

Yeah, I meant to mention that water should be brought with you to make sure you've enough fluid in you to half-fill the urine cup! It's really nowhere near as bad as I was anticipating. I had more reason to be anxious about weather interfering with the travel, but it was fortunately clear yesterday.

Bunch of Merseysiders in the US... it's the sixties all over again! I'm going to Boston and I have to say that it seems like Americans are more into The Beatles these days than even we are. Do you get the constant Beatles talk where you've been? Spain was the same, but I wonder if Luxembourg is too. Might just be the rest of the world.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi!

What did you take as proof of case number?

we were thinking of just taking a print out of the CEAC website with our LND case number, as opposed to the official letter to save some time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, brandonflude1 said:

Hi!

we were thinking of just taking a print out of the CEAC website with our LND case number, as opposed to the official letter to save some time

There are three things that will have your LND number printed on it. the clinic is okay with any of them.

1. Notice from NVC to American fiancé saying the approved petition has gone to consulate in London.
  2. Instruction letter from London to British fiancé saying they have received the approved petition. 
  3. Your CEAC online status

Timeline
21 hours ago, brandonflude1 said:

Hi!

Hey!  So when we booked the medical, we had an email from NVC telling us our number.  If you email them, they usually respond within one week.  So, we got our number via email response from them and that's when we booked the medical!  By the time we had the medical, though, we had the official email from NVC saying that it was shipped to London!  You can definitely book it as soon as you have the number.  

just keep in mind that the medical is good for 6 months from the date you take it, so your clock is going to start running as soon as you have it, which is fine if you know youre going to be ready to move and get married and apply for AOS well within that period.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, skjourney said:

just keep in mind that the medical is good for 6 months from the date you take it, so your clock is going to start running as soon as you have it, which is fine if you know youre going to be ready to move and get married and apply for AOS well within that period.

I though the visa was issued for 6 months out from your medical date, but for AOS it’s good for 1 year from the medical date?

Thats what it says in the I-693 instructions anyhow.

hm thats strange, you could well be right, but on my cover letter from Knightsbridge it literally says "YOUR MEDICAL WILL BE HELD VALID FOR 6 MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF YOUR MEDICAL"

Also reading something about the I-693 updated validity, it says its 2 years now ? but must be filed within 60 days of the applicants benefit. Im guessing that means its 60 days maximum between medical and K1 visa being approved ? If its for AOS, thats a very tight window for many id assume.All this can be very confusing when you get into the weeds of it.

Maybe someone can explain what that all means

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Updates/20181016-I-693Validity.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Your visa is issued for 6 months from the medical date. If you should get stuck in AP for example and your visa has not been issued but it's more than six months since your medical, you have to return to the clinic and get the medical updated. I think it is the TB clearance that is only good for six months and so new chest x-ray. Then your medical is valid for the consulate to issue your long awaited visa. This all falls under the Dept of State rules because they issue visas.

AOS is back to USCIS (you're done with Dept of State when you get the visa) and USCIS has their own immigration rules about accepting a K1 medical. As long as you apply for AOS within a year of the K1 medical exam, they will accept it as a valid exam for AOS purposes. 

1 hour ago, skjourney said:

Not exactly.

Note about the terms of your K1 visa:

Travel before the visa expires

The visa is invalid the day you enter the US. It's over when you use it one time.

Marry within 90 days of POE. Visa issue date has nothing to do with this.

There is no requirement to file for AOS within a certain period of time, meaning it is not dictated in law be within 90 days, or before you visa expiration date. Bad idea to wait though.

Edited by Wuozopo

On 3/19/2019 at 6:05 PM, MaryDave1992 said:

Yeah, I meant to mention that water should be brought with you to make sure you've enough fluid in you to half-fill the urine cup! It's really nowhere near as bad as I was anticipating. I had more reason to be anxious about weather interfering with the travel, but it was fortunately clear yesterday.

Bunch of Merseysiders in the US... it's the sixties all over again! I'm going to Boston and I have to say that it seems like Americans are more into The Beatles these days than even we are. Do you get the constant Beatles talk where you've been? Spain was the same, but I wonder if Luxembourg is too. Might just be the rest of the world.

I think it's the rest of the world, Greece/Norway/Sweden is similar also! But I'm kinda' swamped with it as my step-dad loves the Beatles also. But it is definitely one of the bands that people always seem to mention.

Sorry I only just saw this trawling back through the UK forums on a new PC. 

Hope you've had your interview or it's coming close? Genuinely, the easiest part of this whole process 

Summary:

Timeline
On 4/14/2019 at 8:44 AM, LukeU said:

I think it's the rest of the world, Greece/Norway/Sweden is similar also! But I'm kinda' swamped with it as my step-dad loves the Beatles also. But it is definitely one of the bands that people always seem to mention.

Sorry I only just saw this trawling back through the UK forums on a new PC. 

Hope you've had your interview or it's coming close? Genuinely, the easiest part of this whole process 

He had it on the 2nd!!  And he;s flying in TOMORROW! 😄 We are so excited

31 minutes ago, MaryDave1992 said:

He had it on the 2nd!!  And he;s flying in TOMORROW! 😄 We are so excited

Wooohooooo! Congratulations and enjoy your time. 

11th May cannot come soon enough for me :D

Summary:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.