LukeU

Flights

58 posts in this topic

We decided to go southern, rather than northern, as whilst it takes a little longer, it should be less icy 🙃.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

We decided to go southern, rather than northern, as whilst it takes a little longer, it should be less icy 🙃.

This looks like an amazing trip!! I'm sure it will be long but wow what a memory for you both!! :) You'll have seen more of the US than most of us in your first week moving here 😅

12 hours ago, MaryDave1992 said:

This looks like an amazing trip!! I'm sure it will be long but wow what a memory for you both!! :) You'll have seen more of the US than most of us in your first week moving here 😅

Absolutely - just wish we had a bit more time to explore the places too 🙃.

Our plan is to get up early and take my dog for a 30 minute walk...then drive for around 4 hours and stop for lunch and another 30 minute walk (I have a cool-bag backpack that we’re going to fill with Tofurkey, hummus, carrot sticks etc - we’ll also fill up the boot with bread, crisps, trail mix, water etc - so we can just make lunch and not need to find somewhere, as we’ll have my dog with us, which makes finding somewhere to eat a little more difficult)...we’ll then swap drivers and continue to our resting point for the night - another short walk with Gunner, before going to a restaurant, wolfing food (we’ll likely need leave Gunner at the hotel whilst we eat)...then hopefully finding a dog friendly pub!

The daily drive will be 6-8 hours - and we’ll stop at my uncle’s in Cincinnati on one night and my friend’s in Phoenix on another night 🙃.

42 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Our plan is to get up early and take my dog for a 30 minute walk...then drive for around 4 hours and stop for lunch and another 30 minute walk (I have a cool-bag backpack that we’re going to fill with Tofurkey, hummus, carrot sticks etc - we’ll also fill up the boot with bread, crisps, trail mix, water etc - so we can just make lunch and not need to find somewhere, as we’ll have my dog with us, which makes finding somewhere to eat a little more difficult)...we’ll then swap drivers and continue to our resting point for the night - another short walk with Gunner, before going to a restaurant, wolfing food (we’ll likely need leave Gunner at the hotel whilst we eat)...then hopefully finding a dog friendly pub!

The daily drive will be 6-8 hours - and we’ll stop at my uncle’s in Cincinnati on one night and my friend’s in Phoenix on another night 🙃.

That's awesome though, to be fair we do 6 hour drives relatively often (to the UP in MI, across to Wisconsin/Chicago), it's not that bad on their roads at least and who doesn't love road snacks! :D

It's a similar length trip we've looked at (Michigan - Oregon) if we were to decide to move there, I'd drive it with our car. 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Timeline
4 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Wow that sounds so amazing!!! :) I'd love to take a road trip like that someday!  I've barely left the East Coast!

3 hours ago, LukeU said:

That's awesome though, to be fair we do 6 hour drives relatively often (to the UP in MI, across to Wisconsin/Chicago), it's not that bad on their roads at least and who doesn't love road snacks! :D

It's a similar length trip we've looked at (Michigan - Oregon) if we were to decide to move there, I'd drive it with our car. 

I love road trips and feel the snacks play an integral role in this - like, I don’t remember a lot of the roads in northern AZ, but I distinctly remember the Trader Joe’s herb popcorn we ate whilst driving there 😆😆.

We’re a 6 hour drive from Vegas, 6 hour drive to Phoenix and 8 hours drive to San Fran, so used to those kind of trips - and we both enjoy driving, so are happy to do the whole stretch or split it.

How come you’re thinking of moving to Oregon?

6 minutes ago, MaryDave1992 said:

Wow that sounds so amazing!!! :) I'd love to take a road trip like that someday!  I've barely left the East Coast!

Do it! You could hire a camper van and visit beautiful landmarks and state parks over a three week stint 🙃

13 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

I love road trips and feel the snacks play an integral role in this - like, I don’t remember a lot of the roads in northern AZ, but I distinctly remember the Trader Joe’s herb popcorn we ate whilst driving there 😆😆.

We’re a 6 hour drive from Vegas, 6 hour drive to Phoenix and 8 hours drive to San Fran, so used to those kind of trips - and we both enjoy driving, so are happy to do the whole stretch or split it.

How come you’re thinking of moving to Oregon?

Haha! Thankfully the roads heading up to the Upper Peninsula and the scenery was just out of this world for me. But we definitely had chocolate popcorn for the trip which was amazing. 

That's a pretty amazing spot to be in isn't it. We generally split it and by split it....Courtney starts off, we get fuel she asks if I'll drive (happily, all the time) and she wakes up when we're there 😂😂

It's somewhere we've spoken about quite a lot, out on the west coast but not like right on the West Coast, great scenery also and it has a lot of Aviation work too for me to eventually look towards getting back in to once I can work 

Summary:

3 minutes ago, LukeU said:

Haha! Thankfully the roads heading up to the Upper Peninsula and the scenery was just out of this world for me. But we definitely had chocolate popcorn for the trip which was amazing. 

That's a pretty amazing spot to be in isn't it. We generally split it and by split it....Courtney starts off, we get fuel she asks if I'll drive (happily, all the time) and she wakes up when we're there 😂😂

It's somewhere we've spoken about quite a lot, out on the west coast but not like right on the West Coast, great scenery also and it has a lot of Aviation work too for me to eventually look towards getting back in to once I can work 

You work in aviation (planning I recall)? What airport/company are you with? My brother was at EMA but is now at Doncaster...and annoyingly, I can’t remember the name of the company, except that they begin with a T...he buys and sells planes for people and advises them on what to get (he started off being some sort of assessor of the safety of aircrafts)...wondered if your pathes might have crossed!

42 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

You work in aviation (planning I recall)? What airport/company are you with? My brother was at EMA but is now at Doncaster...and annoyingly, I can’t remember the name of the company, except that they begin with a T...he buys and sells planes for people and advises them on what to get (he started off being some sort of assessor of the safety of aircrafts)...wondered if your pathes might have crossed!

That's the one yup, maintenance planning. 

Textron Aviation? There's also "2excel" so that sounds like a T :P 

I'm about 45 minutes away from Doncaster, I'm at Humberside, we don't work too closely with Doncaster but we used to operate into and out of EMA (Eastern Airways, but we're franchised with FlyBe now). 

Summary:

25 minutes ago, LukeU said:

That's the one yup, maintenance planning. 

Textron Aviation? There's also "2excel" so that sounds like a T :P 

I'm about 45 minutes away from Doncaster, I'm at Humberside, we don't work too closely with Doncaster but we used to operate into and out of EMA (Eastern Airways, but we're franchised with FlyBe now). 

Textron Aviation, that’s it! 👍🏻

Timeline
On 3/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, LukeU said:

I am still toying with the idea of Norweigan into Chicago and just renting a car to be honest but by the time I rent a car the £300 saved will be spent on that and fuel and food on the road I'm sure. Plus 6 hours after an 8 hour flight doesn't sound too great. 

Coming East is definitely worse than going West, but yeah, uncomfortable at best 

Not sure if you've booked your flight yet Luke, but if you haven't, I've flown Gatwick - Chicago via Norwegian a few times and then had to make my way to Michigan! The price difference between Chicago and Detroit is definitely huge, so if you really want to spend as little as possible it is a great option. 

Not sure where in Michigan you have to get to, but there are a few possibilities to get there without the need to drive the gruelling 8 hour round trip or renting a car:

Hopefully this helps you a little bit, sorry for the delay in my response if you've already booked your flight! 

Edited by nitad3

12 minutes ago, nitad3 said:

Not sure if you've booked your flight yet Luke, but if you haven't, I've flown Gatwick - Chicago via Norwegian a few times and then had to make my way to Michigan! The price difference between Chicago and Detroit is definitely huge, so if you really want to spend as little as possible it is a great option. 

Not sure where in Michigan you have to get to, but there are a few possibilities to get there without the need to drive the gruelling 8 hour round trip or renting a car:

Hopefully this helps you a little bit, sorry for the delay in my response if you've already booked your flight! 

Definitely no need to apollogise! Thank you. I've looked at the Gatwick - Chicago trip a few times. The Amtrak from Union Station to Flint (Detroit viable too) leaves a little too late for me to make it on the flight, but I'm going to price up the different options and worse case scenario I'll just surprise her with an earlier trip by a few days and spend an evening in a hotel. The drive itself wouldn't be bad at all, I thoroughly enjoy driving but it's the cost on top of the flights :)

Thank you, will be spending the rest of the night checking all this out for sure! :D

Summary:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.