Voila

221(g) for insufficient funds

32 posts in this topic

I was in your shoes when my husband filed for me and my kids. Got a 221(g) for insufficient funds and the need for a joint sponsor right at the end of my interview. Difference is, I was told by the very nice lady who took my docs to sort them that I'd need one by the looks of the financials that was included in my packet. My interviewer even said to me that it wasn't a denial, I had 12 months from my interview date to produce a sponsor or my case would be denied and returned. My husband was able to find a sponsor within 1 month of my interview and we submitted the docs back to the embassy. Was approved 2 weeks later :D

It's like everyone else said....give USCIS what they ask for...not what YOU think they need. Remember, these officers have been doing this for a long time, are trained to scope docs for particular things and any missing items get your files flagged for RFE, etc.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Just find a sponsor. Ask friends/family, beg them, sell your soul, whatever you need to do. Make sure they make enough money. Collect their bank statements from the last 12 months, paystubs from the last 3-4 months, employment letter signed in blue, passport/birth certificate, i-134 filed in correctly (if the person filed taxes with a spouse check info on that and make sure you send in the right form) and tax transcripts from the past three years. I also put in my bank statements from the last 12 months, tax letter and tax transcript just in case. Print out their cover letter and send it in. You’ll be fine, it’s almost done.

Edited by Roxy and Emmy

Same boat. My hubby was given 221(g) to provide a joint sponsor. I filed a joint sponsor (my best friend), along with her citizenship naturalization certificate), her tax transcript, her pay stubs for the past 6 months, and her bank statements, etc. I provided more than what they asked for. 2 weeks later, he was approved. Good luck! 

13 minutes ago, CJlove said:

Same boat. My hubby was given 221(g) to provide a joint sponsor. I filed a joint sponsor (my best friend), along with her citizenship naturalization certificate), her tax transcript, her pay stubs for the past 6 months, and her bank statements, etc. I provided more than what they asked for. 2 weeks later, he was approved. Good luck! 

Thats is so much of a relief to hear. 

7 hours ago, Amadia said:

I was in your shoes when my husband filed for me and my kids. Got a 221(g) for insufficient funds and the need for a joint sponsor right at the end of my interview. Difference is, I was told by the very nice lady who took my docs to sort them that I'd need one by the looks of the financials that was included in my packet. My interviewer even said to me that it wasn't a denial, I had 12 months from my interview date to produce a sponsor or my case would be denied and returned. My husband was able to find a sponsor within 1 month of my interview and we submitted the docs back to the embassy. Was approved 2 weeks later :D

It's like everyone else said....give USCIS what they ask for...not what YOU think they need. Remember, these officers have been doing this for a long time, are trained to scope docs for particular things and any missing items get your files flagged for RFE, etc.

Thankuuu so mcuh for sharing your experience. 

I have found a joint sponsor but he didn’t work in 2017 so his IRS for 2017 are not available, however 2018 IRS are well above the levels.  The embassy has aked for 2017 IRS.

will that be an issue if we sent 2018 and not 2017 as asked. 

15 minutes ago, Voila said:

Okey then plz suggest me one more thing

I have a joint sponsor but not his 2017 tax returns, however 2018 IRS are well above the levels.  The embassy has aked for 2017 IRS.

If the USCIS asked for 2017 tax return, then send it. Like everyone else suggested, submit what they ask for. For me, I submitted MORE THEN what they asked for. Personally, if this was me, I would send in both 2017 and 2018. I rather submit enough to feel safe and secure. 

I submitted both both the tax return and the tax transcript. Again, her retirement savings, her bank statements, pay stubs, naturalization. Better safe than sorry. Hahahaha I understand the anxiety. I was there once too. 

3 minutes ago, CJlove said:

If the USCIS asked for 2017 tax return, then send it. Like everyone else suggested, submit what they ask for. For me, I submitted MORE THEN what they asked for. Personally, if this was me, I would send in both 2017 and 2018. I rather submit enough to feel safe and secure. 

I submitted both both the tax return and the tax transcript. Again, her retirement savings, her bank statements, pay stubs, naturalization. Better safe than sorry. Hahahaha I understand the anxiety. I was there once too. 

I would have but he just started working in 2018 😖

8 hours ago, Voila said:

Thankuuu so mcuh for sharing your experience. 

I have found a joint sponsor but he didn’t work in 2017 so his IRS for 2017 are not available, however 2018 IRS are well above the levels.  The embassy has aked for 2017 IRS.

•  

Hi @Voila,

Maybe this link would help you to better understand what you need to do and to help you make a solid decision and clear up any confusion about the process:

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

11 hours ago, Voila said:

Okey then plz suggest me one more thing

I have a joint sponsor but not his 2017 tax returns, however 2018 IRS are well above the levels.  The embassy has aked for 2017 IRS.

Yes.  You must provide exactly what the embassy requests.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.