52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

As I said, it depends on what field you're in. 

Sure, I just am giving an example because the OP doesn’t need to stress over this. Sure not 100% of jobs will hire someone with tattoos but It’s really not the general concensus at all. Immigration is stressful enough and I truly dont feel this is a subject they should be stressing or about or ‘be prepared for’. This is a community for support and there asking about their immigration officers. In which case it 100% will not be an issue :)

Jamie :alien:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 minutes ago, jamiendoucette said:

Sure, I just am giving an example because the OP doesn’t need to stress over this. Sure not 100% of jobs will hire someone with tattoos but It’s really not the general concensus at all. Immigration is stressful enough and I truly dont feel this is a subject they should be stressing or about or ‘be prepared for’. This is a community for support and there asking about their immigration officers. In which case it 100% will not be an issue :)

I am not going to argue with you, not wasting my time on that. I am not stressing anyone out, I am just giving them realistic expectations that I wish someone had given me. Have a wonderful day. 

You're seriously overthinking this. This whole process doesn't care about anything except that we can prove we're in a genuine relationship and everything with us is above board as per Federal law - no drugs, no ties to terrorist organisations, no gangs. 

My tattoos were visible during my medical - we discussed them at length because my doctor's husband apparently is also inked and she wanted to know where my artist is located because she loved the style of one of them and there aren't any local artists that do that style (they don't do it well anyhow) - she looked very disappointed when I told her it was in Melbourne, Australia. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Gang tattoos certainly have been a cause for visa refusal, mainly seems a south of the boarder issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
1 hour ago, jamiendoucette said:

I don’t think you need to worry about this. I immigrated and I have a full body suit including many face tattoos and hand tattoos and I haven’t been asked my tattoos even once. A few officers have told me they like them but I have not had to explain myself at all. My husband is American and he also has a ton of tattoos including face, throat and hands and we have had 0 issues!

That is really a release , thank you! 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Okay, but in that case, haven't you already had your medical?

I will bring my medical at the interview. So I will do that later 

Timeline
54 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Yeah for immigration it is fine, it is 2019. Just be prepared for getting looks and comments when you get a job depending on what field you're in and what the dress code at work says...

I was an archeologist. Not sure that I will work here ( we have really a lot of savings), I am older woman , a few years left till my retirement. So I will possibly stay “ tattooed immigrant housewife “ as we have so much to do at our property. 

Edited by RedroseMT

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, RedroseMT said:

That is really a release , thank you! 

Don’t sweat it :)! And good luck. 

Jamie :alien:

2 hours ago, jamiendoucette said:

I know many that have had to cover up any visible tattoos. If they wouldn't (or couldn't), then they couldn't work there.

Most places don't seem to have a policy so strict, but it certainly does exist. Letting the OP know beforehand is helpful.

Immigration isn't all (or partially) rainbows and unicorns...being supportive comes in many forms.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I know many that have had to cover up any visible tattoos. If they wouldn't (or couldn't), then they couldn't work there.

Most places don't seem to have a policy so strict, but it certainly does exist. Letting the OP know beforehand is helpful.

Immigration isn't all (or partially) rainbows and unicorns...being supportive comes in many forms.

Seems highly unlikely that they are not aware of this, can not believe there is not an issue where they are now. It may not be relevant to their chosen career.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Seems highly unlikely that they are not aware of this, can not believe there is not an issue where they are now. It may not be relevant to their chosen career.

For the OP it turned out to be a non-issue.

But generally speaking, I have found the US to be less accepting of tattoos which have been surprising considering many people here have tattoos. Maybe it depends on where you live. 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I don’t think I will work here ( big property, a lot of things to take care about) .I had zero problems at my old working place in Norway , some of my co workers have  more tattoos, any problems haven’t occurred ever. 

I have been concerned about the AOS process, nothing else. But , reading your comments I feel okay now . Thank you all for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 hours ago, Unidentified said:

For the OP it turned out to be a non-issue.

But generally speaking, I have found the US to be less accepting of tattoos which have been surprising considering many people here have tattoos. Maybe it depends on where you live. 

Pretty much every profession here allows visible tattoos, except for maybe being a lawyer. That is always a little more appearance based.

The upper Midwest, Mountain states, and the Northwest can be a little more accepting in general of appearance. I got hired to do a healthcare job with purple hair and a visible tattoo and I'm getting more.  The bigger issue here is that we aren't the predominate religion. 🤫

Why would anyone want to work somewhere that was so unprogressive as to not allow it in this day and age? 

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.