52 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Does USCIS ( or doctors at the medical) discriminate tattooed people? 

Both me an my USC husband really love that kind of art and have tattooes. Mine are mostly tribals and some are from Nordic mythology . None were made in prison and I am not a gang member. All were made in tattoo studios in Norway and USA ( clean and sterilized) . Will I have big problems? 

Thank you . 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They will do skin tests if they are concerned. You will be fine, though. 

Most likely you will just be asked where and why you got the tattoo(s).

Edited by brandonflude1

We are also both tattooed. I have 10 and my husband (USC) has around 45. At the medical the doctor looked at them for signs of infection and  told him there were all professionally done in studios in the UK. I was worried about one of my tattoos as it is some song lyrics that some might think are pretty violent but it was no problem. 

There was a thread here where a Mexican male beneficiary was denied based on his tattoos as it was believed that they were gang tattoos. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

They will do skin tests if they are concerned. You will be fine, though. 

Most likely you will just be asked where and why you got the tattoo(s).

I will give them printed explanations what my tattoos mean and where I have got them . 

Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

We are also both tattooed. I have 10 and my husband (USC) has around 45. At the medical the doctor looked at them for signs of infection and  told him there were all professionally done in studios in the UK. I was worried about one of my tattoos as it is some song lyrics that some might think are pretty violent but it was no problem. 

There was a thread here where a Mexican male beneficiary was denied based on his tattoos as it was believed that they were gang tattoos. 

To be honest I don’t even know how the gang tattoos look like . 

I have not counted mine but I have around 15 my husband has much more . As I have said before mine are done in professional studios in Norway and here in the US . All these studios have strict health inspections and have to follow the laws. 

I have printed all the meanings from Nordic Mythology so I hope they will not think this is something about the gangs. 

6 minutes ago, RedroseMT said:

I will give them printed explanations what my tattoos mean and where I have got them . 

That is a little much and you have no need to do that.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That is a little much and you have no need to do that.

How to show them that I am not a gang member? 

1 minute ago, RedroseMT said:

How to show them that I am not a gang member? 

Having tattoos in the USA don't mean you are a gang member. If they ask then you tell them what they mean. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Having tattoos in the USA don't mean you are a gang member. If they ask then you tell them what they mean. 

I know that but I thought they are suspicious about anyone and anything. 

Of course I will tell them . Just concerned as I am very cautious about all of that process. I may get a great doctor, or some angry one . 

Edited by RedroseMT

2 minutes ago, RedroseMT said:

I know that but I thought they are suspicious about anyone and anything. 

Of course I will tell them . Just concerned as I am very cautious about all of that process. I may get a great doctor, or some angry one . 

Then don't worry so much about this because it will be fine

If the tattoos are not gang related you will be fine. Only denials we have seen related to tattoos are from countries or areas where gang tattoos are prevalent. Outside of that, you will be fine.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have a tattoo and I never had any issues, never got any questions about it. The doctor just marked down on the paper that I have a tattoo on my right upper arm and that was it. 

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

If the tattoos are not gang related you will be fine. Only denials we have seen related to tattoos are from countries or areas where gang tattoos are prevalent. Outside of that, you will be fine.

I am Croatian citizen , LPR of Norway for over 3 decades. I don’t know anything  about the gangs but have a lot of tattoos. 

Edited by RedroseMT

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.