happydoctor

URGENT. I-751 with waivers,and a vindictive letter from my ex against me

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, LizM said:

If the consequence of violating a protection order is jail time, I really hope it's not that easy to get. You'd have to show credible evidence of abuse or stalking to get one, surely?

Well that is what I have been told by people going through messy divorces. And from what I have seen on here seems to back it up.

Admittedly I only know what happens in CO and the bar seems pretty low.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

55 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well that is what I have been told by people going through messy divorces. And from what I have seen on here seems to back it up.

I would say tho that while a protection order may be easy to get, I think the fact he did some jail time for violating the order could help in the OPs favor when showing that he may be a crazy ex.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Jail may help.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

It is par for the course during a messy divorce and a messy custody battle as well. 

It depends on how long the jail time was and how did he violate the order. I have seen people violate a order by sending a text to that person. 

3 hours ago, xillini said:

I would recommend to have a good lawyer on I 751, but on the mean time, dont trap on VAWA waiver case unless you have multiple evidences that you are physically and mentally abused by your EX (such as police reports and medical reports, if any), which will charge you a lot of money with attorney fees and USCIS will review this more closer look, which takes much longer scrutiny and waiting time. 

As a technical note, VAWA doesn't apply here at all. VAWA would be for AOS, not ROC. There is an abuse waiver option for ROC, but it's different than VAWA.

3 hours ago, LizM said:

If the consequence of violating a protection order is jail time, I really hope it's not that easy to get. You'd have to show credible evidence of abuse or stalking to get one, surely?

My wife and I watch Live PD pretty often. There's a few cases where a protection order was issued against the clear victim...the LEOs acknowledged that it's pretty much "whoever gets to the court first" gets one.

Actually getting a conviction (not just arrest) for violation of the order would mean that a judge upheld the the order, which at least adds some credibility that it was requested in good faith.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

8 hours ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

This happens all the time. Unless he has concrete evidence, USCIS will most likely see through this. Vindictive exes send in fake letters accusing their immigrant ex of fraud ALL THE TIME, USCIS is used to it.

BTW, no need for the abuse waiver, even if you were abused.

Divorce waiver: you have to prove bona fide marriage (while it lasted) plus divorce.

Abuse waiver with divorce waiver: you have to prove bona fide marriage (while it lasted) plus divorce PLUS abuse. No legal sense in putting the burden on yourself of proving an extra thing (even if it happened).

The lawyer from domestic violence office told me that these two waivers are fine for my case . I’m not sure what is the best way to do , especially, I already sent my I-751, but they returned it, because they said I need to send it in 90 days period before my GC expire... very weird. But the point is, they already saw my package of documents.

02/08/2019 - Package was received .

10 hours ago, Boiler said:

A Protection Order is pretty easy to get and is part of the play book so I seriously doubt that would be convincing.

7 hours ago, geowrian said:

As a technical note, VAWA doesn't apply here at all. VAWA would be for AOS, not ROC. There is an abuse waiver option for ROC, but it's different than VAWA.

My wife and I watch Live PD pretty often. There's a few cases where a protection order was issued against the clear victim...the LEOs acknowledged that it's pretty much "whoever gets to the court first" gets one.

Actually getting a conviction (not just arrest) for violation of the order would mean that a judge upheld the the order, which at least adds some credibility that it was requested in good faith.

That's what my ex thought ( it would easy to get an order ) when he told me that if I don't give him proof that I was at work, or will not give him passwords from all my  accounts, he will put OP against me :). After that, I realized I need to listen workers from a DV shelter and get an OP against him and do not feel  bad about that.  It was easy for me, because I have a lot of evidence , and included many days and episode of abuse in my verified petition ( I had his text messages, videos I took when he did not know etc). However, I knew women who wasn't able to get even a temporary OP.

02/08/2019 - Package was received .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

It's a common practice for U.S. citizen abusers "feeling hurt" and sending vindictive letters to USCIS against their beneficiary spouses.

In practice their letters carry no weight unless there is a clear evidence present of misrepresentation/crimes (like bigamy for example) on behalf of the beneficiary.

In other words, your I-751 based on abuse is a separate issue from your husband's letters to USCIS. Let him write all he wants; the fact is he cannot do anything to impede your immigration status.

P.S. As to I-864 affidavit, you cannot "give it up" as it's not up to you, it's a contract between the USCIS and the petitioner. You have no say in this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.