nitad3

Applying to Grad School

41 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, nitad3 said:

Thank you so much for your response, I'm glad to have found someone who was in the same situation as I am currently!

I found a few programmes I like the sound of, so perhaps I'll follow your advise and contact some of them to enquire about all your aforementioned point. But it's beginning to look like I might either have to wait or attend some for of a community college in between. 

I didn't think of checking that, so I'll definitely plan on asking if there are any scholarships available for some of the programmes I looked at! 

No problem. If I may add a few more pointers: since you started bachelors degree back in your home country, you may transfer credits. Inquire on the school's Office of Admissions which Credentials Evaluation Agency (eg WES, FACSA, etc)  they would accept and recommend. Do shopping on that too for best rates and less hassle on requirements. Some of the credential evaluation agencies do require sealed transcript of records from the school you attended mailed directly to them. While other agencies are more lenient and they would just accept scanned copies of your transcript of records.

Saves both time and $$$ if you can transfer credits :)

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, SB5130 said:

No problem. If I may add a few more pointers: since you started bachelors degree back in your home country, you may transfer credits. Inquire on the school's Office of Admissions which Credentials Evaluation Agency (eg WES, FACSA, etc)  they would accept and recommend. Do shopping on that too for best rates and less hassle on requirements. Some of the credential evaluation agencies do require sealed transcript of records from the school you attended mailed directly to them. While other agencies are more lenient and they would just accept scanned copies of your transcript of records.

Saves both time and $$$ if you can transfer credits :)

I'm not sure I fully understand the point about transferring credits. I will have finished my degree and graduated before I make my move to the US. 

So do you mean I can use my preexisting credits from my completed bachelor for a masters degree? I'm a little confused sorry! 

7 hours ago, samuelam said:

Most Grad School in US require GRE from applicate from other country. You might want to plan on take the exam and get the score before applying to the University.. 

Even if they would require it, GRE scores can still be waived. You can contact the department head (eg dean/director of college of business, etc) of the program you intent to enroll to have it waived.

The school I attended required GRE scores but I had mine waived.

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

4 minutes ago, nitad3 said:

I'm not sure I fully understand the point about transferring credits. I will have finished my degree and graduated before I make my move to the US. 

So do you mean I can use my preexisting credits from my completed bachelor for a masters degree? I'm a little confused sorry! 

Yes. You can use some of them. Depending on your program. Like mine for example, I got 5 courses in the program (accounting, algebra, computer basics, statistics and economics) that I didnt need to enroll anymore since i had completed those during my bachelor's.

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Timeline
1 minute ago, SB5130 said:

Yes. You can use some of them. Depending on your program. Like mine for example, I got 5 courses in the program (accounting, algebra, computer basics, statistics and economics) that I didnt need to enroll anymore since i had completed those during my bachelor's.

Fantastic, I wasn't aware that I could do that! Thanks a lot. 

I'll write that down as another question to ask the admissions office! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think you should wait until Spring 2020 because too much paper works IMPO. Here is my recommend:

1. Apply to the school first, after that you have to get your degree evaluation.

2. Talk with Grad Advisor at University you want to study and see which class you need to take before get into Grad program.

3. If any required class you can take at community college, go and take it because it will save you a ton of money.

17 hours ago, nitad3 said:

Thank you for letting me know, definitely reassuring that in general most places seem to be fine with accepting students without AOS!

Perfect, I think I'll start trying to gather more information about all schools. I'm glad at least one of the processes appears simple enough then! Haha 

Definitely! And I suppose it depends on the school as to whether or not you can start with in-state tuition. My husband's school has been charging us in-state tuition the whole time. We just could not apply for financial assistance at all without him being a permanent resident. He just received his green card so looking into financial aid for the remainder of his time in college is our next project!

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Filed: Other Timeline
15 hours ago, nitad3 said:

Most of the graduate programmes I've looked at are actually enrolling between now and end of Spring (like U of Michigan and Michigan state), so hopefully not very late for me. 

I'm not sure I understand your point about transfer of cradit. I'm not currently in a graduate programme, I'm finishing my bachelor. Do you mean that I shouldn't apply somewhere and then transfer to another grad programme? 

Many limit the number of credit hours/courses that can be taken at another university for a masters to 6 CH/2 courses. IMO, it is best to get admitted to the university in which you plan to complete the program.

Admission is one thing and enrolling in courses is another. What are you planning to study?  Enrolling in classes often begins in the middle of the prior semester. The admission process begins in Septermber.

Many degrees assume someone has a competency in specific area or require enrollment in courses not normally accepted in a graduate program.  Others (especially an MBA) requires competency in courses often in an undergraduate business degree but not in others. Once yo are admitted, you will meet with an advisor who will go over you previous study and help you plan a program.

Edited by CEE53147

Timeline
2 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

Many limit the number of credit hours/courses that can be taken at another university for a masters to 6 CH/2 courses.

Admission is one thing and enrolling in courses is another. What are you planning to study?

What I meant to say is that most of these schools are accepting applications between now and end of May (some even up to first week of June). Wrong terminology used on my behalf. 

I'm looking at both integrative physiology and pharmacology. But I'm leaning more towards pharmacology, as physiology shares very similar content to my undergrad. 

However, I would be looking at attending a single institution, I don't really want to transfer credits from one place to a other. 

Also.....start saving up now if you really want to go to medical school.  It is very expensive, and most end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt after graduating.

Filed: Other Timeline

Your choice of universities is going to be very limited. Under no circumstances enroll in one of the for-profit colleges that target international students.  Look at the undergrad program at the institutions of choice and compare  those with your preparation.  You want to be really strong in the prerequisites for the required majors courses. It is better to take a course you already have taken as a review and to get used to the expectations of the US university system than to struggle in you major.

(P.S.  I speak from a lot of experience because between DH, myself and kids we have 21 degrees including, some with multiple masters, 2 PhDs and a JD.) from 11 different universities.  Higher degrees do not guarantee more money. Don't laugh but one kid with just an MS received a quarterly bonus from his company several years ago that nearly equaled his PhD sibling's annual salary.)

Edited by CEE53147

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.