AmyOlivia

Last Minute Checks for the K-1!

18 posts in this topic

Having now officially booked both my medical in Knightsbridge, and my Embassy interview appointment, I'd like to just lay out everything that I have just to double-check that it's all in order! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and wish me luck!!

1. The Medical

I have my medical history summary, vaccination records, ACRO, UK & US passport pictures (I know they only need one sort, but I want to make sure that I'll be safe!), the completed medical questionnaire & my passport.

As my fellow Brits will know, and as my nurse today pointed out, we don't offer the Hepatitis B vaccine, nor do we offer flu jabs except to children and the elderly. Yet both are required for the immigration process. I've recently read that these vaccines can be administered before I apply for AOS and therefore after my POE, but would people recommend that I try and get them BEFORE that while still in the UK? My nurse did say that she can administer the Hepatitis B vaccine, but it will have to be paid for. As for the flu jab, I'm unsure if I can get one due to flu season technically ending now. My medical is booked for March 27th, so it is still just within American flu season... oh the conundrum!!

2. The Interview

I have my DS-160 completed and printed, my passport, courier information submitted/ premium delivery paid for, a legal copy of my Birth Certificate, American Visa photographs, proof of my relationship (dated photographs, plane tickets, etc) and the I-134 is being filled out by my sponsor (fiance's sister, due to my fiance being between jobs right now). I've booked it all and paid the fees. The interview date is April 15th!

The general consensus I have from everybody is that London is okay with a sponsor filling out the I-134, even if it isn't the petitioner. My fiance has his records from last year while still employed, but left his job to switch careers last month, so he can't fill out the I-134 completely, nor will his evidence line up how they'll want it. As such, his sister has offered to support me financially and look after us while he gets situated in a new job. Would it be okay to produce an I-134 from only her? And does anybody know how long it will take my passport & Visa documents will arrive with me after the interview, provided I don't have any issues? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

London does allow you to self sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

32 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

Having now officially booked both my medical in Knightsbridge, and my Embassy interview appointment, I'd like to just lay out everything that I have just to double-check that it's all in order! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and wish me luck!!

1. The Medical

I have my medical history summary, vaccination records, ACRO, UK & US passport pictures (I know they only need one sort, but I want to make sure that I'll be safe!), the completed medical questionnaire & my passport.

As my fellow Brits will know, and as my nurse today pointed out, we don't offer the Hepatitis B vaccine, nor do we offer flu jabs except to children and the elderly. Yet both are required for the immigration process. I've recently read that these vaccines can be administered before I apply for AOS and therefore after my POE, but would people recommend that I try and get them BEFORE that while still in the UK? My nurse did say that she can administer the Hepatitis B vaccine, but it will have to be paid for. As for the flu jab, I'm unsure if I can get one due to flu season technically ending now. My medical is booked for March 27th, so it is still just within American flu season... oh the conundrum!!

2. The Interview

I have my DS-160 completed and printed, my passport, courier information submitted/ premium delivery paid for, a legal copy of my Birth Certificate, American Visa photographs, proof of my relationship (dated photographs, plane tickets, etc) and the I-134 is being filled out by my sponsor (fiance's sister, due to my fiance being between jobs right now). I've booked it all and paid the fees. The interview date is April 15th!

The general consensus I have from everybody is that London is okay with a sponsor filling out the I-134, even if it isn't the petitioner. My fiance has his records from last year while still employed, but left his job to switch careers last month, so he can't fill out the I-134 completely, nor will his evidence line up how they'll want it. As such, his sister has offered to support me financially and look after us while he gets situated in a new job. Would it be okay to produce an I-134 from only her? And does anybody know how long it will take my passport & Visa documents will arrive with me after the interview, provided I don't have any issues? 

Have you got your police certificate it’s required at medical 

Just now, GazLisa said:

Have you got your police certificate it’s required at medical 

I do indeed! It's all printed and ready.

Just now, AmyOlivia said:

I do indeed! It's all printed and ready.

Awesome 😎 I think your all set then 👍🏻👍🏻,good luck and best of British 🇬🇧 for your medical and K1 visa interview in April 😊☺️😉 once they are out the way time flies until you’re on the plane with a one way ticket ✈️ 🇺🇸 

21 minutes ago, Boiler said:

London does allow you to self sponsor.

When you mention self-sponsor, does it refer to employment in the US, or monetarily sponsoring myself?

I'm currently employed and the like in the UK, obviously about to give notice when things are all confirmed. And as for future employment in the US, I'm in contact with the local school board about becoming a teacher there when my Eligibility for Work is all processed after I arrive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Showing you have the resources for the 90 days.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
9 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

If you are older than 18 years old, then skip the Hep B shot.

Go get a flu shot at Boots or a clinic in a grocery store. Or pay at the medical exam (£14). Or move your appointment from Wednesday to the following Monday and skip the flu jab.

Absolutely make sure you have your shots needed for AOS before you leave that appointment. Then you have nothing more to do medically for immigration. If you wait, you will have to go pay a doctor in the US to sign you off on shots. Most of them will insist that you have another full medical. You'll spend hundreds of dollars.

Can you verify the dates you had shots? Or post a photo of your record?  

MMR and diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis 

9 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

If you are older than 18 years old, then skip the Hep B shot.

Go get a flu shot at Boots or a clinic in a grocery store. Or pay at the medical exam (£14). Or move your appointment from Wednesday to the following Monday and skip the flu jab.

Absolutely make sure you have your shots needed for AOS before you leave that appointment. Then you have nothing more to do medically for immigration. If you wait, you will have to go pay a doctor in the US to sign you off on shots. Most of them will insist that you have another full medical. You'll spend hundreds of dollars.

Can you verify the dates you had shots? Or post a photo of your record?  

MMR and diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis 

I'll head into my local Boots in the next week or so while my arm heals following my Meningitis vaccine from today! That way, I'll be all set and ready for my Medical Exam. I'd rather not move the exam day simply because I want to try and get everything sorted ASAP, while also allowing for plenty of processing time in between medical and interview.

I have MMR, Dip, Polio and Tetanus all on my record with the required boosters done. Trying to attach a photo of my vaccination record isn't going as planned, but I'll try to get that uploaded for clarity.

Timeline
53 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

proof of my relationship (dated photographs, plane tickets, etc) and the I-134

I know of literally hundreds of London interviews for K1 and they all take evidence then write up afterward that it wasn't needed. Nobody ever needs that in London. It's not on their list so don't worry too much about it.

14 minutes ago, GazLisa said:

I have my DS-160 completed and printed

It's the confirmation, not a print of the whole thing. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

have MMR, Dip, Polio and Tetanus all on my record with the required boosters done. Trying to attach a photo of my vaccination record isn't going as planned, but I'll try to get that uploaded for clarity.

P does not stand for polio in Tdap. Do you have 2 MMR? And the date is important on Tdap/Td. Just checking because a lot of people say they have everything and don't.

7 hours ago, AmyOlivia said:

1. The Medical

2. The Interview

1: Sounds pretty set there for sure. With regards to the flu vaccine pop to a boots pharmacy and it's generally around £9 or something, plus we're getting towards the end of the flu season so the stock shouldn't be too low. Apparently this batch of Flu Jabs were running low back in January...that pesky American Flu season ;) 

2: The DS-160 just the confirmation page, someone took their full one and the lady wasn't best please....something about the big red writing on the front saying "DO NOT BRING THIS, THIS IS YOUR COPY" didn't twig :P 

I took proof of ongoing relationship and what not and it didn't even get mentioned. I took x3 brown paper envelopes in my docs bag, 1. Originals, 2. Copies, 3. Evidence (Photos, call logs and updated intent to marry letter), folders 2 & 3 are still sealed in my docs bag.

As long as you have a sponsor you will be good to go and only the sponsor form from his Sister is required. It isn't required to be the petitioner and just have the sponsors financial evidence, I took W2, bank statements, letter of employment. They were happy after the W2 and letter.

They advised me (Interview 11th Mar) it would take 1-2 working weeks to receive the visa. 

I have now realised Wuozopo has replied already and I've just wasted 5 minutes writing this ;) 

Goodluck, this stage is the least painful part I've done yet.

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
13 hours ago, AmyOlivia said:

2. The Interview

So glad you put this together - very helpful! Are you able to tell me how/where you submitted your courier information? This is the first place I'm seeing that listed as something to bring! Thanks! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
15 hours ago, AmyOlivia said:

I'll head into my local Boots in the next week or so while my arm heals following my Meningitis vaccine from today! That way, I'll be all set and ready for my Medical Exam. I'd rather not move the exam day simply because I want to try and get everything sorted ASAP, while also allowing for plenty of processing time in between medical and interview.

I have MMR, Dip, Polio and Tetanus all on my record with the required boosters done. Trying to attach a photo of my vaccination record isn't going as planned, but I'll try to get that uploaded for clarity.

If it helps when I had my medical done they are looking for 2 entries of vaccines for all 3 on MMR so like 2 x mumps 2 x measels etc I was missing a second mumps one so got a second mmr done there which cost £40 which was annoying because I had had a mmr booster done months ago for free and had I known i would have had a second done with my GP.

Plus they were out of the flu vaccine so I couldn't get it done but she said as long as she had a valid reason for the paperwork it was ok.

Edited by helen83

Thank you guys so much! Amazingly helpful as ever!!

Yes, I have the DS-160 confirmation page all printed; not the whole thing! I can imagine how the lady at the desk wasn't best pleased with the whole document! :P

Yeah, I've seen overall that people aren't asked or scrutinised about proof of relationship, etc. Nevertheless, I'll be taking along my dated photographs, plane tickets and the biggest piece of evidence of all; the engagement ring on my finger!

Regarding the flu jab, I've been all over to every Boots in my area and they're all out of the private jabs! I'll be calling around pharmacies today to try and pin down one somewhere, but I am just thinking of calling the GP in Knightsbridge to explain the situation to them. Not being in the 'risk' categories for the flu season is a real pain!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.