SpaceAge

Unable to drive limbo period - Ohio

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

Thanks,  it could be argued that the way the part about the "unexpired passport showing entry stamp or I-94" doesn't make it entirely clear that it's the I-94 that needs to be within expiry date. 

I'll give the SOS a call tomorrow, we don't have a DMV apparently. 

After a non-immigrant person's I-94 expires, he/she does not have any legal status .  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

After a non-immigrant person's I-94 expires, he/she does not have any legal status .  

....until such time as the green card is issued?  

I do see that they will accept Employment Authorization card, where accompanied with passport & entry stamp. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

Thanks,  it could be argued that the way the part about the "unexpired passport showing entry stamp or I-94" doesn't make it entirely clear that it's the I-94 that needs to be within expiry date. 

I'll give the SOS a call tomorrow, we don't have a DMV apparently. 

Used to be the I 94 was attached to your passport, now it is on line and you get a entry stamp showing when your status expires, in the case of a K1 90 days after entry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

@SpaceAge

I haven't read through absolutely everything, but my husband was in a similar situation. He came here on the K1 in October and I think just the week before we got married he got his licence that was valid through to when his I-94 expired at the end of December. In Missouri, he was able to get a temporary driving privilege that lasts 60 days. He can renew it every 2 months for free and then he'll pay for a full licence once he has his green card or his EAD. We found this information out by emailing the Licence Bureau  and then taking a copy of the email to the DMV so they couldn't tell us we were mistaken or had incorrect information.

Heads up if this is something you're able to get: the auto insurance company is being a bit annoying about it. Since he did have a full licence for about 2.5 months and it expired, our insurance company keeps thinking he's an insured but unlicensed driver. I just faxed off a copy of his temporary driving privilege with a cover letter explaining the situation, which I also explained on the phone to someone about a month ago who said it should be fine. The Licence Bureau also said the driving privilege should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 3/22/2019 at 3:15 PM, RLA said:

Not sure how you define "legal status".  A pending AOS does give you "lawful status", though, according to the Real ID act:

https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/real-id-act-text.pdf

That means that unless a state has different, stricter requirements, a pending AOS should allow you to get a drivers license or state ID.

Agreed. From your link:

(ix) has a pending application for adjustment of status to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States or conditional permanent resident status in the United States.

The I-797 for the AOS is all they need.

• 6 months later...

My saga continues. 
Has anyone else on the K1 where the I94 expired, and you have your I797 had the scenario where you get all the way to passing your test and they can’t verify your immigration status in the SAFE system? 

I now have to wait up to 21 days and keep checking my SAFE status. If approved I get my license, if not I get denied and have to wait for my EAD and SSN. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.