80 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Mulugulu said:

USCIS will expedite an application, including an application for a travel document, Form I-131, in certain situations, which may include:

• Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situations;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: The request must come from an official U.S. Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the Government.); 
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.

This is the criteria to get the AP expedited.

USCIS also says this on their page for emergency travel --

Your local office may accept an emergency advance parole application if you are experiencing an extremely urgent situation. Business trips, weddings, holiday parties, and other planned events would usually not be considered an emergency situation.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents/emergency-travel

I hope you get your AP soon.  But I suggest making alternate plans, just in case.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
8 hours ago, Mulugulu said:

Guys, thank you for your input.

Also, Six29 is not my account. 

I will seek advise through an immigration lawyer 

You'll be flushing more money down the drain with an attorney. There is nothing a lawyer can do to help your situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Thank you guys for the input and the empathy I am receiving. I will keep you guys posted on how this journey ends. I will keep my hopes up, because everything in my life always ended well. I am prepared to reschedule the wedding celebration, even if it means to take a high loss but I am working towards receiving an advance parole on my preferred time. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
15 hours ago, Mulugulu said:

My fiancee and I are about 1 year behind you in the process. We are also worried that we might find ourselves in a situation similar to yours.

Sent in I-129F in February 2019, hoping to get K1 and be in US by December 2019. Will then get married (officially), apply for AOS, and apply for I-131, so that we can go back to China and have the ceremony with her family in Summer 2019.

Obviously, wedding venues and caterers etc need to be booked in advance, and guests notified in advance.

But since the time it takes to process the I-131 is 5-7 months, we're worried that the timing might be too tight, and we might not be able to hold the wedding in the summer as we'd like. 

This is really frustrating. I'm really sorry you're in this situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Mulugulu said:

Thank you guys for the input and the empathy I am receiving. I will keep you guys posted on how this journey ends. I will keep my hopes up, because everything in my life always ended well. I am prepared to reschedule the wedding celebration, even if it means to take a high loss but I am working towards receiving an advance parole on my preferred time. 

Check with  your wedding vendors, usually something in the contracts regarding postponement/partial refund due to unforeseen circumstances.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

17 hours ago, Mulugulu said:

Hi everybody, 

I have a problem and will try to explain my whole case in a few sentences, hoping someone will be able to help me: 

We applied for the 129f in March of 2018, I was admitted to the US on December 20th as a K1 Visa holder. 

My then fiancé and I got married on the 21st of February and applied for AOS (485) along with AP (131) and EAD (765) on March 1st. Two days ago I received an email stating, that the case was received on March 8th.

We planned our wedding which will take place in Germany on July 6th of 2019 in the beginning of last year, booked our venue, florists, dj, cake, photo-/videographer and sent out our invites in the beginning of this year.

Since it is a destination wedding we are expecting guests not just from America and Germany, but from all around the world. A lot of guests already booked their flights and also booked their hotels. 

Last night I checked, how long the processing times for the i131 are and I got stunned. The uscis website says it will take between 5-7 months. I have to be in Germany in 3 1/2 months. 

The wedding party costs approximately 30k and that just includes the costs me and my wife have. 

Would I be eligible for an expedited AP? 

Is this reason for an emergency, since I would take a severe financial damage of I can't make it to my own wedding? 

Should I just sit and wait and hope that my documents get to me on time? 

Thank you in advance everyone! 

You guys would have used the 6 months waiting time on k1 visa to do the wedding in Germany(remember once you have that visa in your pass u can do anything abroad eg the type of wedding you want then fly to US and 4months would have been enough to plan the wedding out there) then both of you travel to the US and do the court house wedding there with family and friends or just you and your partner and a witness any thing immigration under Trump can not be trusted because of timing recently.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
17 hours ago, Mulugulu said:

Hi everybody, 

I have a problem and will try to explain my whole case in a few sentences, hoping someone will be able to help me: 

We applied for the 129f in March of 2018, I was admitted to the US on December 20th as a K1 Visa holder. 

My then fiancé and I got married on the 21st of February and applied for AOS (485) along with AP (131) and EAD (765) on March 1st. Two days ago I received an email stating, that the case was received on March 8th.

We planned our wedding which will take place in Germany on July 6th of 2019 in the beginning of last year, booked our venue, florists, dj, cake, photo-/videographer and sent out our invites in the beginning of this year.

Since it is a destination wedding we are expecting guests not just from America and Germany, but from all around the world. A lot of guests already booked their flights and also booked their hotels. 

Last night I checked, how long the processing times for the i131 are and I got stunned. The uscis website says it will take between 5-7 months. I have to be in Germany in 3 1/2 months. 

The wedding party costs approximately 30k and that just includes the costs me and my wife have. 

Would I be eligible for an expedited AP? 

Is this reason for an emergency, since I would take a severe financial damage of I can't make it to my own wedding? 

Should I just sit and wait and hope that my documents get to me on time? 

Thank you in advance everyone! 

Like everyone is saying, this scenario is not considered an emergency.  A suggestion would be to simply get family from both sides to call everyone who was invited & cancel for now.  People might not get all their money back from booking flights & etc, but at least they will not show up at an event that will not be taking place.  Never plan anything like this until you have your documents on hand.  Good luck to you.  

3 hours ago, Henky said:

You guys would have used the 6 months waiting time on k1 visa to do the wedding in Germany(remember once you have that visa in your pass u can do anything abroad eg the type of wedding you want then fly to US and 4months would have been enough to plan the wedding out there) then both of you travel to the US and do the court house wedding there with family and friends or just you and your partner and a witness any thing immigration under Trump can not be trusted because of timing recently.

1) CBP can deny entry if they believe the visa was improperly issued or the holder no longer qualifies for the benefit. Even a non-legal wedding can and has resulted in being denied entry.

2) An actual wedding/marriage would make using the visa fraud - it is only permitted to be used by a fiance/fiancee. One must remain free to marry until entry into the US. These are the terms of the visa.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Henky said:

You guys would have used the 6 months waiting time on k1 visa to do the wedding in Germany(remember once you have that visa in your pass u can do anything abroad eg the type of wedding you want then fly to US

Not legally, they can't.  A K-1 visa REQUIRES marriage INSIDE THE US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Ironic how someone who joins a week prior suddenly becomes an immigration expert :)

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

my take is, an immigration lawyer is an unnecessary expense because of all the weird and sad things i heard about them. also i witnessed a lawyered-up couple during my AoS interview that... didn't do so good.

but anyway, i think OP should just start calling up family and friends and warn them about the cancellations. i fly a lot, so i don't think there will be an issue with postponing all the flights and hotel stays. and i think start now better than later. i mean honestly, sometimes, if you explain your immigration woes to your suppliers and organisers, you'll be surprised how understanding and accomdating they can be.

i know it looks easier to expedite, but the honest truth is that the AoS/AP/EAD process don't give a flying f*** about your personal plans......

i also had to cancel a destination wedding because i thought that i would have my visa on hand by December, my K1 NOA1 was June?, and i booked something for February. turned out my approval was February. not even the transfer to NVC yet.

but oh wells. 

16 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Looks like OP took a gamble with not good odds and is going to be paying the house on this one ( I love Las Vegas references). I took a gamble myself and booked a trip back to Thailand in the Middle of November this year ( I couldn't pass up 2 round trip tickets for $657 and change). I just did Biometrics today for AOS, but I bought tickets in February, so I now have 8 Months for the AP/EAD card to arrive, when I booked the tickets I was 9 months out, and I was still thinking I might not get the EAD/AP card in time, and I was 9 months out. I think my odds are better than yours, but I could still end up paying the house also, but only to the tune of $657 dollars, I can take that loss, no way 30k, that hurts and I wish you the best of luck.

Hope it works out!   I filed Jan 25th, biometrics on Feb 18th and I'm hoping my AP is approved by mid September for a wedding I'd like to go to - thankfully my tickets are changable though, so at worst I'm out $300 change fee. I can't imagine losing 30k because of no AP! 

Filed: Timeline

This thread is already 4 pages long! I guess everyone loves anothers misfortunes...

Anyway processing times for the EAD/AP have been over 3 months for over a year now, and even if it wasnt that long I also do not have much sympathy for someone that makes plans during the process and then has issues. You need to ask for an expedite for the 131. Lately because of the delay in processing times everyone has been asking for EAD or AP expedites and at first USCIS was handing them out like candy. They have since wised up and now almost every expedite request is being declined. 

You should try to expedite anyway. Use your congressperson for assistance. Best of luck, and remember do not leave the US with out your AP or else you will have to return to the US with out your spouse and they will have to apply for the CR visa. If you really cant afford to lose your money then thats what you might have to do- be separated for another 12+months to do the CR.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They are spending the money on a party, may be a lot to many on here but I assume most budgets for a party and somewhat less.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.