80 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everybody, 

I have a problem and will try to explain my whole case in a few sentences, hoping someone will be able to help me: 

We applied for the 129f in March of 2018, I was admitted to the US on December 20th as a K1 Visa holder. 

My then fiancé and I got married on the 21st of February and applied for AOS (485) along with AP (131) and EAD (765) on March 1st. Two days ago I received an email stating, that the case was received on March 8th.

We planned our wedding which will take place in Germany on July 6th of 2019 in the beginning of last year, booked our venue, florists, dj, cake, photo-/videographer and sent out our invites in the beginning of this year.

Since it is a destination wedding we are expecting guests not just from America and Germany, but from all around the world. A lot of guests already booked their flights and also booked their hotels. 

Last night I checked, how long the processing times for the i131 are and I got stunned. The uscis website says it will take between 5-7 months. I have to be in Germany in 3 1/2 months. 

The wedding party costs approximately 30k and that just includes the costs me and my wife have. 

Would I be eligible for an expedited AP? 

Is this reason for an emergency, since I would take a severe financial damage of I can't make it to my own wedding? 

Should I just sit and wait and hope that my documents get to me on time? 

Thank you in advance everyone! 

Yeah, I have to agree, this is not an emergency. An example of an emergency would be like a significant loved one got diagnosed with a terminal disease and only has 1 month to live or something like that. A wedding is not an emergency. Weddings generally don't just happen just like that, they require planning. You can get married on a whim, but generally to pull together a wedding need lots and lots of planning.

You can always make a request. Just put in a request. 

Maybe a Skype wedding?

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yeah, I have to agree, this is not an emergency. An example of an emergency would be like a significant loved one got diagnosed with a terminal disease and only has 1 month to live or something like that. A wedding is not an emergency. Weddings generally don't just happen just like that, they require planning. You can get married on a whim, but generally to pull together a wedding need lots and lots of planning.

You can always make a request. Just put in a request. 

Maybe a Skype wedding?

USCIS will expedite an application, including an application for a travel document, Form I-131, in certain situations, which may include:

• Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situations;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: The request must come from an official U.S. Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the Government.); 
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.

This is the criteria to get the AP expedited. 

Also, when we were planning the wedding, the processing times were less than 3 months. Research done, circumstances changed. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mulugulu said:

USCIS will expedite an application, including an application for a travel document, Form I-131, in certain situations, which may include:

• Emergency situations;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: The request must come from an official U.S. Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the Government.); 
  • USCIS error; or

Also, when we were planning the wedding, the processing times were less than 3 months. Research done, circumstances changed. 

To have a wedding you would first need to get divorced

Your loss  is not attending a party. The money would be gone either way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Wonder who pays to go to a party an amount that would constitute a severe financial loss?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Mulugulu said:

• Emergency situations;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • USCIS error; or

I get how being out $30k is a financial loss, but that money is spent whether you go or not.  That’s why everyone is saying you likely don’t qualify under those grounds.  

3 minutes ago, Six29 said:

Why are you and some others being a ####### to this poor guy? He just needs help and wants some sense of direction as to his options.

He clearly says he planned his wedding early last year, so the timelines with this damn shutdown have been affected and how was he supposed to know this was going to happen almost 1.5 years later?

Sheesh... Kindness goes a long way for everyone around here. 

I don’t think anyone is being rude here.  Your mistaking harsh truth with rude.  

It is never advised to plan anything until all ducks are in a row.  Planning their celebration should have occurred when ducks were in a row, even if it meant the party would be 1.5 years after the marriage vs a few months.

2 minutes ago, Six29 said:

He clearly says he planned his wedding early last year, so the timelines with this damn shutdown have been affected and how was he supposed to know this was going to happen almost 1.5 years later?

That is kind of the point, he doesn’t know. So the advice is always “do not plan anything or pay any money until you have that travel document in hand” whether it’s a visa or AP or green card. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.