robinthick

F-1 Visa Sponsorship for Girlfriend

42 posts in this topic

F1 unlikely due to a US bf and two previous b2 denials.  F2a best scenario. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
2 hours ago, robinthick said:

@EandH0904 @Bill & Katya thanks for your feedback.

Just to make sure I understand. If we get married now and apply for a spouse of GC holder visa, the processing will start and the visa will get approved fairly quickly, but won't be issued until the visa number is available due to the waiting period. However, if I become a citizen in the meantime, thanks to the highest priority, the visa number will be issued immediately. Is that correct?

If you marry her soon and petition for her,  she may get the visa in around 2 years even if your citizenship gets delayed. If you get the citizenship before that, she may get visa within few months of of you becoming the citizen. 

Also, do you know of any way for her to come to the country in the meantime?

Highly unlikely

Or do you know of any way for me to go to Europe without losing my ability to apply for citizenship?

You can travel to Europe for ahorter duration like few weeks or 1-2 months once a while. As long as you have been or will be physically present in the US for at least 30 months out of 60 months including 3 continuous months before filing N400, you can keep make shorter trips. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Got it. I appreciate everybody's input. This is outstanding feedback ❤️ 

I believe all of my questions have been answered :) I think in the short term I need to get a better understanding of what are my possibilities of travel. I've just been there for about 5 months and came back before the 6 months mark to not cause any problems during the citizenship application. However, I'm not exactly sure when and for how long I can travel again.

Edited by robinthick

Just remember that your travel in this circumstance is necessitated in order to marry your gf. You have to prioritize what's more important to you.. getting your gf into the US as a wife/fiance, or getting your citizenship. 

I-751 journey

2 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Just remember that your travel in this circumstance is necessitated in order to marry your gf. You have to prioritize what's more important to you.. getting your gf into the US as a wife/fiance, or getting your citizenship. 

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. How do the two exclude each other?

Edited by robinthick

25 minutes ago, robinthick said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. How do the two exclude each other?

Oops, I missed one work. That should've read:

"..You have to prioritize what's more important to you.. getting your gf expeditiously into the US as a wife/fiance, or getting your citizenship. .."

I-751 journey

11 minutes ago, robinthick said:

Still don't understand how the two conflict.

They conflict in practice if not in principle. You can spend lots of time with your new wife but that has to be overseas so would end up delaying your citizenship.

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

They conflict in practice if not in principle. You can spend lots of time with your new wife but that has to be overseas so would end up delaying your citizenship.

How? As long as I'm not breaking the physical presence and continuous residence requirements, I don't understand how it could be an issue.

5 hours ago, robinthick said:

In the meantime, I hoped to go back and forth: 4-6 months together in the US and 4-6 together in Europe at a time. However, she got denied a tourist visa due to 214(b) of course. She tried twice. Both denials. We are currently in a position where I can't leave the US, due to residency requirements for my citizenship application (was just there for 5 months) and she can't come in any way to the US. Which is obviously horrible for both of us.

1 hour ago, robinthick said:

I believe all of my questions have been answered :) I think in the short term I need to get a better understanding of what are my possibilities of travel. I've just been there for about 5 months and came back before the 6 months mark to not cause any problems during the citizenship application. However, I'm not exactly sure when and for how long I can travel again.

Well, you expressed concerns..

I-751 journey

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

This link will be handy in terms of the definitions of continuous residence.  https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter3.html

An officer may also review whether an applicant with multiple absences of less than 6 months will be able to satisfy the continuous residence and physical presence requirements. In some cases, an applicant may not be able to establish that his or her principal actual dwelling place is in the United States or establish residence within the United States for the statutorily required period of time.

Edited by EmilyW

1 hour ago, robinthick said:

How? As long as I'm not breaking the physical presence and continuous residence requirements, I don't understand how it could be an issue.

Because in order to qualify for citizenship you have to be residing in the US for a certain amount of time. Like @EmilyW just posted from the official USCIS website, your extensive time outside of the US can be considered. You don't want to give them any reason to delay or deny you naturalization.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

All good, but be aware that the two US visa denials may factor in the Canadian decision. The US and Canada do share data. 

Hope you two are able to meet up. Good luck!

I-751 journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.