robinthick

F-1 Visa Sponsorship for Girlfriend

42 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm a US Green Card holder. I'm able to apply for citizenship already but it's going to be a while (1-1.5 year) before I receive it. My girlfriend is a Polish citizen. We plan to be together long term.

From my research, I understand that the most time effective way of bringing her to the country is to wait until I receive my citizenship and bring her as my fiance. This way we do not have to wait in extensive waiting periods that apply for spouses of Green Card holders. There is no doubt that we will get married and live together in the US. However, we will not be doing so until I have my citizenship in hand, simply because it's the fastest route.

In the meantime, I hoped to go back and forth: 4-6 months together in the US and 4-6 together in Europe at a time. However, she got denied a tourist visa due to 214(b) of course. She tried twice. Both denials. We are currently in a position where I can't leave the US, due to residency requirements for my citizenship application (was just there for 5 months) and she can't come in any way to the US. Which is obviously horrible for both of us.

My second approach is for her to enroll in an intensive English course on an F-1 visa with my sponsorship. Improving her English and possibly going to college later is definitely a great path for her.

My question for you guys is, do you think it makes sense to go this route or is this doomed to get denied by the Consular Officer during the interview due to 214(b) again?

Edited by robinthick

From what I researched, just the waiting period for spouses of Green Card holders are about 2 years long. Then the processing period starts which is another 1-2 years.

When I'm a citizen applying for her to come as my fiance, there are no waiting periods due to highest priority so there is only processing period - which for fiance visas is reasonably fast.

Also, I'm not very willing to get married under Polish law. I'd much rather get married in the US.

Does it make any sense? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by robinthick

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, robinthick said:

From what I researched, just the waiting period for spouses of Green Card holders are about 2 years long. Then the processing period starts which is another 1-2 years.

When I'm a citizen applying for her to come as my fiance, there are no waiting periods due to highest priority so there is only processing period - which for fiance visas is reasonably fast.

Also, I'm not very willing to get married under Polish law. I'd much rather get married in the US.

You do not have to get married in Poland.  Also, if you apply for an F2A soon after you get married in any country, that gets the clock started at least, and if you gain your citizenship in the interim you can convert the spousal application to CR1/IR1.  Here is a thread that may help.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 minutes ago, robinthick said:

The fiance Visa is currently taking 8-10 months. Spousal Visa for green card holders is about 2 years...not 2 year wait and then its processed.  Its processed, approved and then you wait for your priority date to become current.  So if you become a citizen during the process and already are married with spousal Visa in place then your priority date will not matter. So roughly she could be here shortly after your citizenship.  Not waiting another 8-10 months for fiance 

@EandH0904 @Bill & Katya thanks for your feedback.

Just to make sure I understand. If we get married now and apply for a spouse of GC holder visa, the processing will start and the visa will get approved fairly quickly, but won't be issued until the visa number is available due to the waiting period. However, if I become a citizen in the meantime, thanks to the highest priority, the visa number will be issued immediately. Is that correct?

Also, do you know of any way for her to come to the country in the meantime? Or do you know of any way for me to go to Europe without losing my ability to apply for citizenship?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
14 minutes ago, robinthick said:

Just to make sure I understand. If we get married now and apply for a spouse of GC holder visa, the processing will start and the visa will get approved fairly quickly, but won't be issued until the visa number is available due to the waiting period. However, if I become a citizen in the meantime, thanks to the highest priority, the visa number will be issued immediately. Is that correct?

Also, do you know of any way for her to come to the country in the meantime? Or do you know of any way for me to go to Europe without losing my ability to apply for citizenship?

that is correct, you can get married now start the process, and the moment you have your citizenship certificate you can get it changed and she will be given NVC case number pay fees and an interview will be set up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

To get an F-1 visa, she would have to prove that she has no immigrant intent.........she won't qualify.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, robinthick said:

With a US bf, and being denied twice for a B2, no way for her to come to the US any faster. You do realize immigration takes time, right? 

Best for you to plan a wedding in Europe where she could travel also, travel there for a few days to get married, and start the F2a process once in the US. Would take approx 24 months from that point on. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

1 hour ago, robinthick said:

Understand that while the visa number is available immediately for a USC, the visa itself isn’t - there is processing time involved. Usually around a year from application to green card. Vs the LPR spouse route of a total around 2 years, maybe a few months longer. That’s why people are telling you to apply now.

and no you need to meet the physical presence and continuous residence requirements for citizenship. If you want both marriage and citizenship unfortunately you guys will need to bear a long distance relationship for a while.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Coming for ESL seems very weak, perhaps a Bachelors or Masters, Phd whatever at a name Uni?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You can't sponsor her for an F-1 visa, she would have to apply on her own and show that she has sufficient financial resources to pay for everything, the very high tuition, living expenses, travel expenses, health insurance, etc. with her own financial resources, and show intent to return to her home country following completion of the studies in the US.  If you, as her fiancé, submit a letter of financial support for her F-1 visa application, what do you think the CO would make of that?  Right.  Immigrant intent and denial.  Unfortunately the only way to deal with a long-distance relationship is lots of patience and waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I doubt many F1 Students can pay their own way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.