helen83

Interview question..

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Has anybody been asked to provide additional relationship evidence at interview? I just wondered if it's worth preparing more than what they are actually asking for as everyone just seems to be asked for the documents from the list. Just curious if its worth having just in case?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Personally, I would prepare everything you can think of.  Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cryssiekins said:

Personally, I would prepare everything you can think of.  Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I figured as much just in my final days before interview panic stage lol So overthinking, over stressing and basically worrying about nothing 😂

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Daniela M_______ said:

I didn't get asked for a single piece of evidence at my interview BUT I was feeling really confident because I was prepared. It buys you piece of mind.

I need to find my confidence because I know there's no reason it can go wrong but I'm super worried what if I made a mistake somewhere...these next few days can't go quick enough because I want this to all be over!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Just now, helen83 said:

I need to find my confidence because I know there's no reason it can go wrong but I'm super worried what if I made a mistake somewhere...these next few days can't go quick enough because I want this to all be over!

I understand you so much I was so nervous and overthinking about the interview... But I promise you don't have to worry, your relationship is real, you are well prepared and your interview will be in UK which seems to be a very easy going embassy. Everything will be fine!

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Timeline
1 minute ago, Daniela M_______ said:

I understand you so much I was so nervous and overthinking about the interview... But I promise you don't have to worry, your relationship is real, you are well prepared and your interview will be in UK which seems to be a very easy going embassy. Everything will be fine!

Thank you! I know we all spend the last few days here worrying and looking out for support, then a few days later telling the next person don't fret, it's easy and not worth over stressing lol the vicious cycle of before and after will always continue!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We weren’t - but just have a few copies of chat logs, skype, whatsapp calls that shows the relationship has continued throughout the K1 process. No need to provide a entire novel. If you two have visited a couple recent pics. That’s all

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
6 minutes ago, helen83 said:

Thank you! I know we all spend the last few days here worrying and looking out for support, then a few days later telling the next person don't fret, it's easy and not worth over stressing lol the vicious cycle of before and after will always continue!

haha just like that! I can tell you one thing for sure, you'll see most CO are very determined to make a good call on your case. I heard here in Mexico a lot of people being interviewed who didn't have all the documents, or people who crossed ilegally etc, and the CO were friendly-enough to not look intimidating and were doing questions to understand every circumstances. That made me feel confident. 

When I took the oath my hand was shaking so bad and I saw the CO looking at my hand so I kind of freaked out. But from there I was alert, I did answer very straight forward and to the point and I always looked her at the eyes. This is important. Body language says it all. 

Edited by Daniela M_______

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Daniela M_______ said:

haha just like that! I can tell you one thing for sure, you'll see most CO are very determined to make a good call on your case. I heard here in Mexico a lot of people being interviewed who didn't have all the documents, or people who crossed ilegally etc, and the CO were friendly-enough to not look intimidating and were doing questions to understand every circumstances. That made me feel confident. 

When I took the oath my hand was shaking so bad and I saw the CO looking at my hand so I kind of freaked out. But from there I was alert, I did answer very straight forward and to the point and I always looked her at the eyes. This is important. Body language says it all. 

Thank you so much for the advice. Makes perfect sense, eye contact is definately key to being confident!! I'm preparing a few photos and chat pics just incase just to help feel more confident I'm covered now!

We toted all sorts of extra photos and chat logs to the interview. Didn't ask us for anything but it made the boss feel better. It also gave me lots of stuff to carry so I looked important walking around))) As the previous poster said...take as much as you need to make you feel comfortable but don't be surprised if they don't ask to see anything.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

18 hours ago, helen83 said:

Has anybody been asked to provide additional relationship evidence at interview? I just wondered if it's worth preparing more than what they are actually asking for as everyone just seems to be asked for the documents from the list. Just curious if its worth having just in case?

I interviewed in London.

I don't know how much relationship evidence you've provided so far. In my case there were several trips (by both of us) plus a few photos of us with each other's families etc. Not a whole lot compared to some. I took a couple of additional print outs to the interview - facebook posts of our engagement, family and friends comments on them, etc.

At the interview they didn't really ask for much at all. The lady interviewing me asked almost casually while she was looking through my documents whether we'd visited  each other since we first met (she obviously hadn't seen all the docs for these trips). I said I'd made about 5 or 6 trips to the US, and one to Canada after US immigration gave me a bit of a hard time for making so many trips (she laughed). She also asked whether we'd met each other's parents (we had). She asked a couple of questions about my fiancees family (does she have any brother's and sisters, etc). I imagine they are trained to see how relaxed people are to these kind of questions, as much as what the answers are.

London like most western countries is a relatively easy embassy unless you have any glaring red flags. You really don't need too much evidence, but I'd suggest that quality is better than quantity - pictures of you with each other's families is worth more than endless print outs of online chats.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Timeline
57 minutes ago, Limey said:

I interviewed in London.

I don't know how much relationship evidence you've provided so far. In my case there were several trips (by both of us) plus a few photos of us with each other's families etc. Not a whole lot compared to some. I took a couple of additional print outs to the interview - facebook posts of our engagement, family and friends comments on them, etc.

At the interview they didn't really ask for much at all. The lady interviewing me asked almost casually while she was looking through my documents whether we'd visited  each other since we first met (she obviously hadn't seen all the docs for these trips). I said I'd made about 5 or 6 trips to the US, and one to Canada after US immigration gave me a bit of a hard time for making so many trips (she laughed). She also asked whether we'd met each other's parents (we had). She asked a couple of questions about my fiancees family (does she have any brother's and sisters, etc). I imagine they are trained to see how relaxed people are to these kind of questions, as much as what the answers are.

London like most western countries is a relatively easy embassy unless you have any glaring red flags. You really don't need too much evidence, but I'd suggest that quality is better than quantity - pictures of you with each other's families is worth more than endless print outs of online chats.

That's great thank you for this! I'm relaxing a bit more now. All paperwork is ready just need to redo my photos tomorrow as not sure these first ones will pass. Then probably check over my paperwork a million times tomorrow before trying to get some kind of sleep!

21 hours ago, helen83 said:

I brought my entire folder full of relationship evidence with me including dated/timed photos and various chat logs. I went into my interview knowing I would not need it, but I brought it for my own self assurance - especially considering it was a 4-5 hour drive from my house to the embassy. 

The London embassy is actually very relaxed, don't stress yourself too much at this point. You can expect the usual 'airport style' security screening when you enter, if you have anyone who wants to go with you then security will allow this - they must however, provide some form of ID such as a passport or drivers license. I took my mom with me because she wanted to take a look around.

During my interview, I was not asked for any evidence whatsoever. They requested only the documents that I was advised to bring. I was called up and the guy asked me a short series of ordinary questions, had me leave the paperwork with him whilst he reviewed it and took copies. I then got called up 10mins later by a different person, a lady. She returned my documents, gave me a big smile and said 'Congratulations, you're approved and free to move and get married!'. All in all, it took me an hour from when I walked through the doors, to back outside.

PS: If you're driving, there is a Waitrose directly next door to the embassy which has underground parking. We left the Jag there for about 2 hours with no problem whatsoever. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JunkTardis said:

I brought my entire folder full of relationship evidence with me including dated/timed photos and various chat logs. I went into my interview knowing I would not need it, but I brought it for my own self assurance - especially considering it was a 4-5 hour drive from my house to the embassy. 

The London embassy is actually very relaxed, don't stress yourself too much at this point. You can expect the usual 'airport style' security screening when you enter, if you have anyone who wants to go with you then security will allow this - they must however, provide some form of ID such as a passport or drivers license. I took my mom with me because she wanted to take a look around.

During my interview, I was not asked for any evidence whatsoever. They requested only the documents that I was advised to bring. I was called up and the guy asked me a short series of ordinary questions, had me leave the paperwork with him whilst he reviewed it and took copies. I then got called up 10mins later by a different person, a lady. She returned my documents, gave me a big smile and said 'Congratulations, you're approved and free to move and get married!'. All in all, it took me an hour from when I walked through the doors, to back outside.

PS: If you're driving, there is a Waitrose directly next door to the embassy which has underground parking. We left the Jag there for about 2 hours with no problem whatsoever. 

Thank you :) ..the more reviews I'm hearing the more relaxed I'm getting! I'm coming up from the Isle of Wight so it's an early train into Waterloo and then straight out on another to the Embassy so hopefully time for a cup of tea before having to head over!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.