Mrdanks

USCIS is asking me to fill I751 (CRI-89) but I never got married....?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Mrdanks said:

Hi so I was told by USCIS to fill the I751 form but I never got married to no one here in the USA i was granted permanent residency through the Jay Treaty.. (being over 50% Native American blood) 

Im very lost at this point.. 

@Mrdanks

If what you said is true, then you are not a conditional resident and therefore I-751 does not apply to you.  Your green card is the first place to look, your category for Jay Treaty is "S13".  if you are a conditional resident through marriage, the category will either be CR1 or CR6.  If you have S13, you are an unconditional permanent resident, and your green card should be valid for 10 years or have no expiration date (if you get it a long time ago).

Edited by GBOS

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mrdanks said:

When I went to the border and provided all the documents to establish my native heritage I received a temporary I551 stamp on my passport and received an I181 (Creation of Record of Lawful Permanent Resident)  

but I never received a green card from USCIS. 

If you receive a temporary I-551 stamp, that is your proof of permanent resident status.  Here are relevant regulations.

You are entitled to an actual green card, and you should request one.  Again, I-751 does not apply to you, assuming that everything you said is true.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/american-indian-born-in-canada

11 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

Are you seeking permanent residency in the US for a spouse or unmarried child under the age of 21?

26 minutes ago, GBOS said:

@Mrdanks

If what you said is true, then you are not a conditional resident and therefore I-751 does not apply to you.  Your green card is the first place to look, your category for Jay Treaty is "S13".  if you are a conditional resident through marriage, the category will either be CR1 or CR6.  If you have S13, you are an unconditional permanent resident, and your green card should be valid for 10 years or have no expiration date (if you get it a long time ago).

Problem is the stamp is only good for a year...  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mrdanks said:

Yes, that is why it is called “a temporary stamp.”  That is not a problem, that is a regulation.  A permanent resident should carry a card, not a stamp, given a normal circumstance.

You should schedule an infopass to speak with an immigration officer at your local office to see how you can get a green card properly issued to you.

Edited by GBOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mrdanks said:

I got the I181 when I went to the port of entry same day as when I told them I was native 

When was this? Recently or years ago? 

10 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

hen did you receive the I181?

7 minutes ago, GBOS said:

Yes, that is why it is called “a temporary stamp.”  That is not a problem, that is a regulation.  A permanent resident should carry a card, not a stamp, given a normal circumstance.

You should schedule an infopass to speak with an immigration officer at your local office to see how you can get a green card properly issued to you.

7 minutes ago, GBOS said:

Do you think I should just fill an online application for a replacement card? I do have an alien number and all that stuff. 

Timeline
Just now, Mrdanks said:

Do you think I should just fill an online application for a replacement card? I do have an alien number and all that stuff. 

I-90 sounds logical but you are the first case of S13 I have been asked.  I would consult the USCIS 1-800 number or a local office to make sure you get the accurate advice and to save your time and hassle.

1 hour ago, Mrdanks said:

59 minutes ago, GBOS said:

I-90 sounds logical but you are the first case of S13 I have been asked.  I would consult the USCIS 1-800 number or a local office to make sure you get the accurate advice and to save your time and hassle.

I’ve talked to immgrantion officers on the phone and they seem to have no knowledge of what s13 class is what I did was pay the fee for replacement card I submitted all my proof so they should be issue me something... There shouldn’t be anything stopping that simply i didn’t marry anyone in USA it’s kind of ironic an immgrantion officer who makes desions don’t have a clue about s13 class

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.