lucy 242

Marriage Green Card Income Requirements

30 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

Ultimately, it'll be up to the consular officer to make a decision on whether or not your husband earns enough for him to not be concerned that you will become a public charge. He is above the 125% poverty guideline, but by a couple thousand. If you're unsure if the CO will accept this, it might be on the safe side to seek out the possibility of getting a joint sponsor.

Yes I know this, but my question is if it's before or after business deductions? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 minutes ago, lucy 242 said:

Yes I know this, but my question is if it's before or after business deductions? 

My guess, is that they won't care much about the deductions. I might be wrong, but I think the CO cares more about what actually goes into his bank account month by month rather than what he can get back once a year.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline

I could be wrong so anyone who knows more feel free to correct me. But that would be my assumption, the steady income most likely matters most

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

Filed: Other Timeline

There is no way that someone with an income of $24000 and business expenses of over half that is existing on less than $1000 per month without some additional unreported income or non-monetary support.  Ther is something strange about the numbers.

4 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

There is no way that someone with an income of $24000 and business expenses of over half that is existing on less than $1000 per month without some additional unreported income or non-monetary support.  Ther is something strange about the numbers.

I 100% agree, and I am also self employed. Those numbers will probably show red flags somewhere.

From my understanding, it would be the number AFTER deductions. In theory, business deductions are for the BUSINESS and things you spent money on FOR BUSINESS. Therefore this is not money you can live on, which means you can not also claim it to use yourself simultaneously. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Gross business revenue is not income.  If self-employed, income is AFTER business deductions, but before personal exemptions like married filing jointly.  You will need a co-sponsor or assets to meet the requirements.

And frankly, $24,000 is very hard to live on, for one person, much less two, in a lot of places in America. There definitely many places that it is impossible to live on $24,000, even if that is income, and not gross revenue. 

The poverty guidelines are just that, guidelines or suggestions. It is not a magic "passed" if the income is over that. There have been many cases were denied even of income is over the guidelines. The CO looks at the totality of circumstances and make a determination. 

Filed: Other Timeline

Money problems is a significant reason for marriages to fail. your husband needs to get a "real" job. His self employment can be an after hours activity. 

You are obviously unaware of how much it costs to simply exist in the US. IMO, the required level of income for sponsorship is far too little. Do a budget and see what it requires after taxes and then take his income less taxes and see how it fits.  There are many websites with lists of what should be included in a budget.

My wife (sponsor) is self employed and after deductions earns circa $20,000.00pa, taking advantage of taxable deductions. To make matters more difficult, she joined me aboard for the last year so we've had to put her current earnings as $0 pa. We filled out our I864 and added in both our assets which comes to well over the three times the poverty figure. 

We have documentarily qualified (case completed) and await an interview date, in addition we received a note advising us it is precautionary/advisable to obtain a co-sponsor as my wife's income is below the requirement, however the decision is ultimately at the discretion of the CO on the day. They consider your whole file in determining the likelihood of you becoming a public charge, I will take a completed co-sponsor form and evidence on the interview day just as a back up. My wife has headed back to the States early to return to work ensuring we can show an income (albeit bank statements of deposits and outgoing) on the interview day. 

It may be worth considering using any assets you have in addition to the income. 

20 hours ago, lucy 242 said:

So I'm not sure if my husband makes enough money to be my sponsor. he is doing his taxes now and we a confused.

He made $24000 in 2018, that is the gross income, but he also has deductions of $13500 (self employed)

Now my question is, the number they look at is before or after deductions? I could not find the answer for this online. 

I know it's before taxes but what about deductions? 

You're heading down a slippery slope.  25 grand a year, minus 13k take home less SOCIAL SECURITY(15%) and personal income taxes of ?  Can't even provide for one person let alone two.  Not even sure how he's surviving alone.  You may want to reconsider.

Sorry my mistake, I didn't understand what he told me, apparently it's $24000 income, expenses are $1500, and he said there is $12000 standard deduction that he said is not same as expenses and doesn't lower the total income for immigration purposes, from what he says the total income will be $22500, it's very confusing to me.

Anybody knows if we qualify with this income? is everything he says correct?

Timeline
4 hours ago, lucy 242 said:

Sorry my mistake, I didn't understand what he told me, apparently it's $24000 income, expenses are $1500, and he said there is $12000 standard deduction that he said is not same as expenses and doesn't lower the total income for immigration purposes, from what he says the total income will be $22500, it's very confusing to me.

Anybody knows if we qualify with this income? is everything he says correct?

$22,500 is just barely over the requirement. This could become a concern to the CO. You should find a joint sponsor.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.