Zoeeeeeee

Prepping for medical/interview

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I’ve created a bit of a planning timeline for the next few months, with the plan of emigrating on 19th November. I’d appreciate it if you let me know if you spot anything I’ve missed/see any errors/have any recommendations!

• 11 March - saw diabetes consultant, who has agreed to write a letter for Knightsbridge, confirming the details of my condition and that it’s well managed.

• 19 March - booked in to get jabs at doctors (had 2 MMR as a baby, so fine there - and won’t need a flu jab due to the season - so believe it’s just the tetanus jab I’ll need, as my last one was over 10 years ago.

• 22-30 April - NOA2 expected.

• May - send off for ACRO.

• June - get patient health summary from doctor, plus a letter confirming that my anaemia and hypothyroidism are well managed (I collect auto-immune conditions like Pokemon).

• July - have medical at Knightsbridge.

• August - fiancé will complete affidavit of support and provide tax documents and pay slips or employer letter. I will complete DS160. Fiancé will also write new ‘intention to marry’ letter. 

• 11 September (or as close to that date as I can - I’m out the country until the 10th) - have visa interview at the embassy.

• Late September (waiting to hear back from my consultant as to what date) - see diabetic consultant to start switching insulin over to the insulin that’s available in the US (one that I use is - one isn’t) - this will give me around 6 weeks to gradually switch insulins, with my consultant’s support.

• Late October - go to doctors to arrange a 6-12 month supply of medicine to take with me, plus accompanying letter.

•19 November - set sail.

Obviously, this is all based on the application actually being approved and the NOA2 actually arriving - I know nothing can be guaranteed (though we have time in our timeline for delays, so hopefully we’ll be ok).

Please let me know if this looks accurate/suitable to you, re the dates and whether I’ve missed anything. 

Thanks for your help everyone! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Good luck.......The immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money...........it appears you are on the right track.......and your choice of November 19th is perfect........my birthday (67th)............

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

19 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

• Late October - go to doctors to arrange a 6-12 month supply of medicine to take with me, plus accompanying letter.

My husband is from the Netherlands and he didn't need a letter or anything about his diabetes or high blood pressure.  But he did say that at least in The Netherlands the assigned doctor for the medical could access his medical records via database.  Not sure that applies in UK so letter is likely a good idea.   

As for this bullet above - I cannot emphasize enough how critical this is, and the more months you get the better. 

1) In some parts of the US it's harder to get a new patient appointment.   I couldn't get one for my husband with my physician's office for >3 months.  We scrambled to find someone elsewhere that could see him before his medication ran out.  Had I realized, I would have booked his new patient appointment before he arrived so it was on the doctor's schedule.   

2) Medication here can be very expensive.  Bringing what you can will save you money.

Do not forget to put copies of your medical records in your luggage (carry on!).   Since it is in English, it would be useful to your doctors.  

6 hours ago, missileman said:

Good luck.......The immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money...........it appears you are on the right track.......and your choice of November 19th is perfect........my birthday (67th)............

Thanks @missileman - I just don’t want to make any mistakes. 

Happy birthday for 19th November - hopefully I’ll be too busy on that day to wish it you then! The date wasn’t a choice unfortunately - I booked it last year, as it was the first available, transatlantic cruise with a free dog kennel on it - just praying it’s actually my immigration passage, and not just my dog-delivery trip 🙏🏻.

6 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

My husband is from the Netherlands and he didn't need a letter or anything about his diabetes or high blood pressure.  But he did say that at least in The Netherlands the assigned doctor for the medical could access his medical records via database.  Not sure that applies in UK so letter is likely a good idea.   

As for this bullet above - I cannot emphasize enough how critical this is, and the more months you get the better. 

1) In some parts of the US it's harder to get a new patient appointment.   I couldn't get one for my husband with my physician's office for >3 months.  We scrambled to find someone elsewhere that could see him before his medication ran out.  Had I realized, I would have booked his new patient appointment before he arrived so it was on the doctor's schedule.   

2) Medication here can be very expensive.  Bringing what you can will save you money.

Do not forget to put copies of your medical records in your luggage (carry on!).   Since it is in English, it would be useful to your doctors.  

I don’t think they can access our medical records here (possibly due to how the NHS works here), so I’ve read on other threads that the letter is a must for the UK.

Thanks for the advice re the new patient appointment - I’ll use that info to try to negotiate more medicine from my doctor (it’s completely free for me here, so I want to bring as much as possible!).

And yep, definitely want to bring as much of my medical background/notes as I can, as I have a few conditions (unfortunately I have a super over-active immune system, which causes these) and I’m very on the ball at managing them and staying fit and healthy - so I definitely want my new doctor to be able to help me with that!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add an update to this - I discovered last month that I no longer have my birth certificate, so ordered a new one (for UK residents, this is £14 from the official site, without paying to expedite) - I put the order in on 18th February and it arrived yesterday (28th March).

So, for any UK people needing a birth certificate, be prepared for a long wait and order early or pay to expedite (but still be aware they have a backlog).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 3/29/2019 at 8:06 AM, Zoeeeeeee said:

Just to add an update to this - I discovered last month that I no longer have my birth certificate, so ordered a new one (for UK residents, this is £14 from the official site, without paying to expedite) - I put the order in on 18th February and it arrived yesterday (28th March).

So, for any UK people needing a birth certificate, be prepared for a long wait and order early or pay to expedite (but still be aware they have a backlog).

To add to this you don't have to wait and have it sent out via post, you can also go into your local register office where all birth/death/marriage are registered. This was the path I took was in and out in 20 mins, at a cost of £15 

You can find your local office in the below link

https://www.gov.uk/register-offices

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I have my interview tomorrow and just wondering about the appointment email... I have everything else. I'm wondering if this the instructions page to print? and if not, I haven't received an email saying the appointment date/time...I just scheduled it myself...

thank you in advance :)

Timeline
2 hours ago, CharNoel95 said:

Hi, I have my interview tomorrow and just wondering about the appointment email... I have everything else. I'm wondering if this the instructions page to print? and if not, I haven't received an email saying the appointment date/time...I just scheduled it myself...

thank you in advance :)

Did you book the interview yourself or did the embassy schedule it for you? I've just filled in DS160 and wondering where to pay visa fee and if I need to schedule interview myself and if so, how. 

Good luck for tomorrow!! :D 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, VanillaCats said:

Did you book the interview yourself or did the embassy schedule it for you? I've just filled in DS160 and wondering where to pay visa fee and if I need to schedule interview myself and if so, how. 

Good luck for tomorrow!! :D 

I waited until after my medical (over a week to give it enough time to get sent to the embassy), my status changed to “ready” on CEAC and I’d done my DS-160 already so I went ahead and booked the interview myself online. You are able to register your account and it takes you through everything. Remember to print the instruction page, it prompts you to do so. You take it to the interview. Once you book the appointment through there you are able to pay the fee and if you want your passport couried back to your address after the interview you can pay a fee to do so. It takes you through all of that. 

Https://ais.usvisa-info.com 

Thank you! :D 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.