walran

Staying outside the US for more than 6 months out of the year with a green card?

30 posts in this topic

One of my best friends in my husband's country has a green card and has held it for almost 10 years. She lived in Florida for 5 years, and then moved back to Argentina. She only comes to the US twice a year for a month each, usually once in the summer and once in December around the holidays. But she attends college full time in Argentina the rest of the year. She legally works seasonal jobs during those times she visits to help fund her studies in her come country. It seems it is possible. I don't know if there are any extra details or paperwork she has filed, but she never mentioned having any issues when arriving in Miami. I would look further into it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Sarah&Facundo said:

One of my best friends in my husband's country has a green card and has held it for almost 10 years. She lived in Florida for 5 years, and then moved back to Argentina. She only comes to the US twice a year for a month each, usually once in the summer and once in December around the holidays. But she attends college full time in Argentina the rest of the year. She legally works seasonal jobs during those times she visits to help fund her studies in her come country. It seems it is possible. I don't know if there are any extra details or paperwork she has filed, but she never mentioned having any issues when arriving in Miami. I would look further into it.

Sounds like she is possibly abusing her Green Card. A Green Card holder MUST have his/her primary RESIDENCE in the US.  A Green Card is not for visiting.  It is for living in the US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

But she attends college full time in Argentina the rest of the year.

This is an important factor as well - students are generally considered to maintain residence even when studying abroad.

But eventually she will likely hit a problem with CBP if this pattern continues.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

It works for 2-3 times maybe. At some point, CBP will stop her and demand she provides proof of residence in the US, and how many days does she live in the US per year and stuff like that, and they can deny entry, if they deem that she "abandoned" her permanent residence status. It is no joking matter. It will happen, soon or later. See the link I posted about "Abandonment of Permanent Residence"

I want to throw this out there as well, to see what everyone thinks, since OP's wife is eligible for naturalization, but her home country does not allow dual citizenship. There is a common ploy that dual citizens play, when one or both the countries they're citizens of specially do not allow dual citizenship. They typically book the flight to a neutral third country, where they don't need a visa to get into. They then exit immigration to get the entry stamp and re-entered the secured area to get the exit stamp, and then travel to their destination country. That way, it "appears" that they come from the third country, and not from the other country that they are also citizen of.

Not condoning or anything, just try to see if anyone has done that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I want to throw this out there as well, to see what everyone thinks, since OP's wife is eligible for naturalization, but her home country does not allow dual citizenship. There is a common ploy that dual citizens play, when one or both the countries they're citizens of specially do not allow dual citizenship. They typically book the flight to a neutral third country, where they don't need a visa to get into. They then exit immigration to get the entry stamp and re-entered the secured area to get the exit stamp, and then travel to their destination country. That way, it "appears" that they come from the third country, and not from the other country that they are also citizen of.

Not condoning or anything, just try to see if anyone has done that?

Can't a person leave and enter the US via a US passport, but enter/exit his/her home country using that country's passport?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
2 hours ago, arken said:

B visas issued by US embassy In Nepal are generally valid for 5 years.

Thank you that is very useful! 

24 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

It works for 2-3 times maybe. At some point, CBP will stop her and demand she provides proof of residence in the US, and how many days does she live in the US per year and stuff like that, and they can deny entry, if they deem that she "abandoned" her permanent residence status. It is no joking matter. It will happen, soon or later. See the link I posted about "Abandonment of Permanent Residence"

This has been a LOT more than 2-3 times. Probably closer to 20+ times because this has been going on for over 7 years and she is doing it again next month because her mother is having surgery. Again, maybe there is a detail I am missing somewhere or maybe she has just been lucky. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
12 minutes ago, missileman said:

Can't a person leave and enter the US via a US passport, but enter/exit his/her home country using that country's passport?

Sometimes they look for an exit visa from the other country first before giving you an entry visa.. I don't know why but have seen this before.

6 minutes ago, missileman said:

Yes, I actually do that all the time. Problem is, some countries are more "rigid" than others, as far as checking the passports particularly at exit immigration. The problem arises when the person departs from a country that specifically bans dual-citizenship, say Nepal in this case. So they would expect to see a US visa in her Nepali passport, which of course, she does not have because she has a US passport, which is problematic, because as soon as Nepali immigration sees her US passport, they will raise all kind of hell and probably denounce her Nepali citizenship right there. To avoid that, as I mentioned, someone has to choose to make a transfer at a third neutral country, say China, so it "appears" to Nepal that she is going to China, and not the US. 

PS: I just use Nepal and China as example. I have no idea how Nepali or Chinese immigration procedure is or anything like that. 

9 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

This has been a LOT more than 2-3 times. Probably closer to 20+ times because this has been going on for over 7 years and she is doing it again next month because her mother is having surgery. Again, maybe there is a detail I am missing somewhere or maybe she has just been lucky. 

She's playing with fire....

I am quite sure there is nothing that allows a LPR to live permanently in a different country and only enters the US once or twice a year, 1 month at a time. If that is the case, there are already hundreds of thousands, if not millions LPRs doing that. 

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
30 minutes ago, missileman said:

Not in Nepal. I do that in Nepal and I’ll be arrested at the immigration while exiting the country. Visa fees will be much cheaper than the fines and probably few days in a cell.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

26 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes, I actually do that all the time. Problem is, some countries are more "rigid" than others, as far as checking the passports particularly at exit immigration. The problem arises when the person departs from a country that specifically bans dual-citizenship, say Nepal in this case. So they would expect to see a US visa in her Nepali passport, which of course, she does not have because she has a US passport, which is problematic, because as soon as Nepali immigration sees her US passport, they will raise all kind of hell and probably denounce her Nepali citizenship right there. To avoid that, as I mentioned, someone has to choose to make a transfer at a third neutral country, say China, so it "appears" to Nepal that she is going to China, and not the US. 

PS: I just use Nepal and China as example. I have no idea how Nepali or Chinese immigration procedure is or anything like that. 

Sure it can be done (and people actually do this). But they're not doing so in compliance with any of their country of origin's laws...they're just hoping they don't get caught.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

22 minutes ago, arken said:

Not in Nepal. I do that in Nepal and I’ll be arrested at the immigration while exiting the country. Visa fees will be much cheaper than the fines and probably few days in a cell.

Exactly! That's what I was trying to get at. 

And some countries, they just don't care, like mine (Vietnam). All I need is just show up with a Vietnamese passport, and they don't even ask a question.  Not where you come from or where you going. 

23 hours ago, walran said:

My wife has a green card and we have been together married for 3 years in the US. We just filed for the renewal that would give it ten years.

That said we intend to move to Nepal in 2021 permanently but with yearly visits to the US to see family, friends, check on our business and fund raise  for our charity. My wife will not seek US citizenship for a variety of reasons

1- Nepal will not recognize dual citizenship and we could no longer live there together.

2- Taxes ( there are advantages to having businesses owned by a non-US citizen that has no FATCA obligations.

3- She and her sisters own considerable amount of property together in Kathmandu and her portion would be in jeopardy along with other business interests.

We plan on visiting the US every year to see my children an parents/family.

My question is what is the best way to accomplish that? I was under the impression that a green card holder could only spend six months outside of the US before losing it?

Yet another site says you can spend up to just under a year..

My cousin says just give it up and apply for visitor's visa (10 year) like he did.  I don't like that one much as we worked hard for this one..

If we come back for 30-60 days a year (spending 10-11 months abroad) as we intend how is the best way to do that?

I keep praying for Nepal to recognize dual citizens...

Open to any options.. Thanks in advance!

CBP knows when people are doing "touch-down" visits into the US in attempts to meet the bare minimum residency standards. They do not appreciate such behavior. Best to relinquish the GC completely right when you're about to move and then hope for the best with a B visa application.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.