KMArmenta

Mother in US Illegally- I-130?

118 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Visitor User said:

You mean the mother is not qualified for I-601A nor I-601?

very likely from what I've read here

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Other Timeline

Why are you going through this at this late date?  What do you hope to accomplish? Qualify her for welfare benefits available to a LPR or ...? It has not been important for so many years so why now?

I believe she should leave and reenter according to law subject to whatever reliefs are available  in the law. She has a real mess to deal with.  I feel sorry for you trying to navigate the system for her and your DH.  I suggest an attorney is your best bet for a good outcome.

First, that's a lot of ifs. 

Second, not in this current anti-immigrant political climate. 

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

32 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

What if Immigration Reform passes and she gets amnesty and a chance to apply?

Remember 1986?

It’s been over 30 years, why now? It’s at least as likely that the ability to sponsor a parent for a green card is removed if/when immigration reform happens.

Edited by SusieQQQ

11 hours ago, KMArmenta said:

I can get her certified as a technician fairly quickly and hire her into my tanning salon, or I could hire her in as a bookkeeper for my primary business.

Those are jobs that can easily be filled by Americans.

11 hours ago, KMArmenta said:

Thank you, Susie. That was my main purpose here. 

It seems many many people are angry with me for the actions of my mother in law, even though I agree she’s in the wrong and only want to find out how we can fix the situation. Obviously going back to Mexico isn’t an option on her radar, or she would have gone when we offered to support her financially there.

Not angry.  But her actions impact those of us who go to great pains to do everything by the book, at great financial cost and with long periods of time without our loved ones.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Once hubby gets to a point where he need a security clearance he will be required to truthfully answer question about his immediate relatives and their addresses.  So he will have to out her.   And he will most likely be asked about what sort of aid he has provided for her. Depending on the level he needs it will get nasty and he could be denied the clearance and thus the position.  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

25 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Once hubby gets to a point where he need a security clearance he will be required to truthfully answer question about his immediate relatives and their addresses.  So he will have to out her.   And he will most likely be asked about what sort of aid he has provided for her. Depending on the level he needs it will get nasty and he could be denied the clearance and thus the position.  

Very true.  When my husband was getting his security clearance, they even asked about his nickname that wasn't mentioned.  They found every little detail about his life and questioned even minor things that appeared even remotely like a red flag.  They dig deep.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Having an illegal parent in the US would make him appear to be a potential target for blackmail ..   like give me your secrets or your mother is history ...  so I would not be surprised to see him having issues in any job that he thinks he is going to school for.   

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

56 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Having an illegal parent in the US would make him appear to be a potential target for blackmail ..   like give me your secrets or your mother is history ...  so I would not be surprised to see him having issues in any job that he thinks he is going to school for.   

Exactly. My husband was renewing his security clearance recently and EVERYTHING was vented. My family history back to 1970, etc. OP, what did your husband report to the military about his mother? Because they already need to know the whereabouts of his family.. did he disclose that she's illegal? That's alone already a huge issue. Lying about it is even worse. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Given that the husband recently got citizenship through the military and has a younger brother with American citizenship it sounds to me as if the mother-in-law came to the US with one child (the husband) and then later had another child on American ground. So the children have managed to get US citizenship but not the mother. And, naturally, they want to see if it's possible for her as well to legally stay in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Another noncontributory post has been removed.

OP, contributors here have offered just about all that can be suggested.  Perhaps it's time to seek professional legal advice.  To keep this thread from degenerating, it will be locked now.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.