KMArmenta

Mother in US Illegally- I-130?

118 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

@KMArmenta

Don't take the response here personally or that people are angry. It is that we deal with so many aspects of situations here that most times the responses are quite curt and to the point with no sugar coating. Sometimes when people start asking about possible other things they can do after being told the only option, members feel that the legal options they advised are simply disregarded by the poster.

There are a lot of harsh truths that comes with this system. You will have to break the news to your MIL. It sounds like she may not like it and choose to remain here anyone. But that is her life. You have done your part.

To be fair most people on here are pretty clueless about situations like this.There is certainly not enough information to be certain about everything to do with this case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

To be fair most people on here are pretty clueless about situations like this.There is certainly not enough information to be certain about everything to do with this case.

I think it’s pretty widely known that EWI means there is no legal path to adjustment for this case, and that ban periods have to be served outside the US. Everything after those facts is detail. 

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I think people may have seemed “angry” because it didn’t seem like you were understanding , or wanted to understand, but I think it’s clear you do now. 

also bear in mind most people here have jumped through all the hoops to do everything legally - and get naturally angry when they see someone trying to beat/cheat the system. 

Good luck with your MIL. Hope she does the right thing.

I do understand. I just wanted to make sure I was clear on every aspect. We too, have gone through the hoops of doing things legally. 

I’m sure many people here can understand and relate to the pressures parents put on their children who become naturalized.

Pre AOS

Brought Illegally to USA in 1996

Gained DACA in October 2013

Applied for advanced parole February 2014

First child born US citizen March 2014

Approved for advanced parole June 2014

Travelled to Mexico July 2014

Returned to USA July 2014 with Stamped I-94

Married US Citizen September 2014

AOS (I-485 & I-130)Mailed to Chicago Lockbox 13February15

Stated delivered on 17February15 (USPS tracking #)

Email and Text G-1145 confirmations 24February15

Hardcopies of receipts arrived 02March15

USCIS website updated to RFE mailed 11March15

Hardcopies of RFE received 16March15

RFE mailed back 26March15

USCIS Status updated to RFE received 1April15

Notice of bio apt arrived, apt was for same day. 10April15

Completed bio apt 10April15
Received interview notice in mail 15June15
Interview scheduled for 16July15

Awarded conditional 2 year residency 16July15

Joined US Navy DEP with a leave date of 15Sept16

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

I have to say it, even though I am SURE there will be backlash about it but whatever. I won't reply to it.

I think sometimes we forget that when we are talking about people's situations especially illegals, we are talking about other HUMANS. Family members. People that are very meaningful to others. We are all here on visajourney because somewhere along the way, we were separated from our loved ones so if anything, we should be understanding. It isn't easy. Do people make mistakes or poor decisions? Yes. Are they aware this was not a smart idea? Yes. But the OP's mother-in-law is still a person---a human being. And as far as we know, she isn't a murderer or did any type of dangerous criminal activity that hurts someone. Sometimes I feel like people act like those who crossed/overstayed did the WORST possible thing imaginable. 

We know immigration is a hot topic and there are millions of illegal immigrants who have crossed/overstayed  in the US. But each one is a person with a story, family, etc.  But when these people want to try to fix it and do the right thing, there are literally ZERO options. If this country created some type of path to citizenship, these people could come out of the woodwork and  also become taxpayers. We could reunite families the right way. 

For those of us who did it legally, that is great. We have nothing at all to worry about. I can sleep at night knowing my husband is not at risk for deportation and that is great. I'm glad we went the route we did and we were guided well. My husband was not in any type of oppressed situation and never once felt like he had to leave due to bad circumstances in his country. My husband's immigration status is not effected by anyone else. But it just drives me crazy when people who gained status through marrying in or whatever all of a sudden act like they are better and more deserving than anyone else. No, they were just lucky they met the right person. It is situational. 

OP, I do not know enough about the system to advise you on how to fix your mother-in-law's situation. But I just want to say that I feel for you and your family and wish you the best of luck! 

Thank you! 

Pre AOS

1 minute ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

But it just drives me crazy when people who gained status through marrying in or whatever all of a sudden act like they are better and more deserving than anyone else. No, they were just lucky they met the right person. It is situational. 

Well, this is true and certainly how all sorts of things like overstays and illegal work are forgiven for IRs of citizens seems unfair and is a hot topic for other immigrants, not to mention being another incentive for illegals to enter green card marriages and deceive USCs. But that’s a different topic.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I think it’s pretty widely known that EWI means there is no legal path to adjustment for this case, and that ban periods have to be served outside the US. Everything after those facts is detail. 

Of course there is, CoR and PiP most obviously. Amnesty have happened.  Technically a Private Bill which seems unlikely, there may be other things I do not know.

The potential 9C is the complicating factor.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Of course there is, CoR and PiP.

How realistic is this for the OP? 

Give USEFUL help.  Don't just answer to show how much smarter you are than the rest of the people here who you consider clueless.  

You've been known to give the wrong answer every once in a while.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Of course there is, CoR and PiP most obviously. Amnesty have happened.  Technically a Private Bill which seems unlikely, there may be other things I do not know.

The potential 9C is the complicating factor.

What are COR and PIP?

Pre AOS

Timeline
Just now, aaron2020 said:

How realistic is this for the OP? 

Give USEFUL help.  Don't just answer to show how smarter you are than the rest of the people here who you consider clueless.  

Parole in Place would be the obvious option, IR and son in Military.

But no way would a Lawyer make absolute statements knowing no details, it is absolute statements on very little information I object to.

1 minute ago, KMArmenta said:

What are COR and PIP?

Cancellation of Removal

Parole in Place

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Parole in Place would be the obvious option, IR and son in Military.

But no way would a Lawyer make absolute statements knowing no details, it is absolute statements on very little information I object to.

How can we find out for sure what type of ban she has? FOIA returned nothing.

Pre AOS

Timeline
Just now, KMArmenta said:

How can we find out for sure what type of ban she has? FOIA returned nothing.

The only way for certain would be to apply for a benefit, if you get together all the information, dates she entered and left and how, any other issues she may have, interactions with the law, then you can get an opinion from a Lawyer or otherwise.

I have seen people with simple cases who forgot to mention something and were totally screwed, and those with complicated cases who surprisingly had a simple route.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.