Dobbie

K1 visa photo and signature requirements

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I am applying for the K1 visa to be with the love of my life this year. We filled up the document with our basic information, but a few little issues came to light:

1. I'll need to sign a letter confirming we're going to legally do what is required. Can I do it electronically via a word/drive document with my name and personal information (SIN)?

2. I need 1-96 papers. Not sure how I get these...do I call the airport?

3. I need a picture with my signature and A-number (which I am assuming is my SIN?) that is dated from the past 30 days.

3a. Is this required?

3b. Can I use my passport photo and scan it for this task? I am young, so I am not sure if this has any effect in the long run.

I am Canadian if you are wondering!

28 minutes ago, Dobbie said:

Hello, I am applying for the K1 visa to be with the love of my life this year. We filled up the document with our basic information, but a few little issues came to light:

1. I'll need to sign a letter confirming we're going to legally do what is required. Can I do it electronically via a word/drive document with my name and personal information (SIN)?

2. I need 1-96 papers. Not sure how I get these...do I call the airport?

3. I need a picture with my signature and A-number (which I am assuming is my SIN?) that is dated from the past 30 days.

3a. Is this required?

3b. Can I use my passport photo and scan it for this task? I am young, so I am not sure if this has any effect in the long run.

I am Canadian if you are wondering!

Have you read the guides here, and printed out the optional I-129F checklist on the USCIS website?   Please, please do this.  And FYI: the USC/petitioner is the one who petitions for the alien fiance, and eventually the alien fiance is invited to apply for the K-1 at the embassy in their country.  I strongly recommend that your fiance also register here at VJ, so that you can both read and learn.  This is a DIY site full of wisdom and experience.  By reading and researching, you can save yourselves a world of hurt and wasted time and money.  

You need your I-94 (record of arrivals and departures), which you can find online and print.  Some VJ member who is less lazy than me will probably post a link here.

You need recent passport photos (per US standards).  Just go to a drug store for them, and yes, you can send them electronically to the petitioner for submission.  Do not unearth the leftover photos from your current passport.  Spring for a brand new one.  It's meant to be taken within 30 days of filing anyway.

I am assuming the SIN is the Canadian version of our US SSN?  If so, you will not need that for any documentation.  It has no meaning to the US government.  You likely will not have an A# until after the petition is filed and processed.  If I recall correctly, my husband got his A# on the NOA2.

You both need to write letters of intent to marry within 90 days of your entry into the United States on the K-1 visa.  Yours can be sent electronically to your fiancé to be included in the petition.

You need to provide evidence of having met in person within the past two years.

If either one of you has been married previously, you will need to send certified copies of divorce decrees as part of the supporting documentation.

The guides here and the USCIS checklist are great resources.  Please read and read some more.  You don't get a do-over with US immigration.

Best of luck!  You got this!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Links to go with Jorgedig's comprehensive reply --

Official site for I-94, Travel Records for US Visitors:  https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

US visa application photo standards:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/photos.html

Official site for I-129F:  https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

K1 visa guide - USCIS:  https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/visas-fiancees-us-citizens

K1 visa guide - VJ:  https://www.visajourney.com/k1-fiance-visa/

VJ Canada regional sub-forum:  https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Thanks to you both! I will look into with the pharmacy about the picture. I still have two questions.

1. Would saving this new picture on my laptop/phone as a file hurt its credibility or is that perfectly fine?

2. The letter of intent - can I write it down via a Word document? Or does it have to be handwritten?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Dobbie said:

Thanks to you both! I will look into with the pharmacy about the picture. I still have two questions.

1. Would saving this new picture on my laptop/phone as a file hurt its credibility or is that perfectly fine?

2. The letter of intent - can I write it down via a Word document? Or does it have to be handwritten?

Image file is what is needed to upload to the Visa application 

The letter of intent needs to be legible.   Most prepare in an app and sign after printing 

YMMV

2 hours ago, Dobbie said:

Alright we're moving steadily through this process. Only a few things here and there to do.

Two more questions:

1. Is it wise that I ship my signature of intent + photo to my girlfriend in America?

2. Do they check your credit/card usage? Not sure why I am asking this, but just curious.

1. You can, although both of those things can be sent to her electronically.

2. Do you mean are they concerned with the beneficiary's debt?  If so, no. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Dobbie said:

1. I used HelloSign just now. Hope they don't think it's her who did it!

2. No as in my credit/usage.

1. I personally would mail the letter with a wet signature. I have seen them except photocopies of the beneficiary intent to marry letter and then also issue an RFE for the photocopy. I have also seen an RFE issued for a fine black pen wet signature because it looked like a photocopy. A blue wet signature it what I always do. 

2. They will check your credit card usage if you include that in your petition. I always include credit card history and banking account documents in the proof of bona fide relationship piece to show that you were together on the same dates in the same locations. 

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline
1 minute ago, Dobbie said:

Got a small issue: She didn't write the date of the photo when it was taken. Can she write the date it was taken retrospectively today without being considered fraudulent?

I never dated the photos.  Instructions do not require this.

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dobbie said:

I'm told that the USCIS online form states that you do?

When in doubt read the instructions.   It says to write the name on the back.  It only says that the photo must be within the last 30 days but no instructions to date it 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.