AmyOlivia

To Affidavit, or not Affidavit... that is the question!

46 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, AmyOlivia said:

Hello, one and all!

I'm new to this here community, but my fiance directed me to you because I've been plugging away at K-1 paperwork today and the flowchart of Visa progression really helped settle a bit of my anxiety! But of course, I still have a good many questions to ask and not many answers are forthcoming.

As the topic title states, I'm currently struggling with the whole Affidavit of Support section required for my interview with my Embassy in London, UK. It is listed as a required document, but then goes on to state that it MAY be required.

My fiance and I want to be ahead of the game (I already have everything else done and prepared from the checklist; DS-160, ACRO, Birth Certificate legal copy, Evidence of Relationship... you name it!!), so we'd really appreciate it if somebody could clarify whether the Affidavit of Support is required for us to file on the K-1.

As an aside, I'm currently in contact with the school district where I'm moving to in the Lacey/ Olympia area of WA, and have submitted an application to be a Substitute Teacher with them. So, if that proves fruitful, would I be right in saying that they could provide me with the evidence of support?

Thank you all for reading! And wish us luck for a speedy rest of the Visa process.

Hello! I am from the Uk also and when I went to the 'interview' at the embassy, the lady behind the screen did ask for this for my US fiance (now husband) , including his tax transcripts! Hope this helps. 

03/01/2019 - USCIS Chicago lockbox received case  for AOS/EAD/AP

03/21/2019 - NOA1 received hard copy via post (Notice date 03/14/2019)

56 minutes ago, Sailormooon said:

Hello! I am from the Uk also and when I went to the 'interview' at the embassy, the lady behind the screen did ask for this for my US fiance (now husband) , including his tax transcripts! Hope this helps. 

Hiya! Thank you so much, we're currently arranging this specifically for our situation. As a couple others have said is okay, my fiance's sister will be sponsoring the financial end of the process and will be filling out the I-134 with her tax transcripts, proof of employment letter, and other acceptable means of evidencing this, etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
4 hours ago, AmyOlivia said:

Hiya! Thank you so much, we're currently arranging this specifically for our situation. As a couple others have said is okay, my fiance's sister will be sponsoring the financial end of the process and will be filling out the I-134 with her tax transcripts, proof of employment letter, and other acceptable means of evidencing this, etc.

Remember that even if she is filling it out, generally, I think always he must also still fill one out and submit the required documents even if he doesn't meet the criteria.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I know of quite a few in London who did not have one from the fiancé. 

That's the main reason I said I think. London has a lot of different rules than other embassies. If that's the case then ignore what I said.

In that case, to be better safe than sorry, it seems like the best option is for both my fiance and his sister to complete I-134 forms; even if they only require one or the other.

Does the I-134 require last year's tax information and the like? If so, my fiance has that information. It's only at the moment that he's between jobs, which is why we were thinking of his sister supporting us just to ensure that we don't have any issues. 

Sorry to double-post, but I'd like to know as definitively as possible!

Would everybody recommend my fiance also filling out the I-134 even though his sister will be our sponsor due to him currently being between jobs?

He was employed through 2018, and can provide that information, but ended his employment in the last month.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@yuna628  Arent you one of the people who had a joint sponsor and only an I -134 from them, not the fiancé? 

5 hours ago, AmyOlivia said:

Would everybody recommend my fiance also filling out the I-134 even though his sister will be our sponsor due to him currently being between jobs?

He was employed through 2018, and can provide that information, but ended his employment in the last month.

AmyOlivia. I truly believe if you showed up and said "this is all I have" (an I-134 from his sister) it would be just fine because I know it has been allowed a number of times before IN LONDON. But if you have doubts, then it's not that hard for your fiancé to fill one out saying he is unemployed and earns zero income. 

Timeline
On 3/8/2019 at 6:08 AM, AmyOlivia said:

In that case, to be better safe than sorry, it seems like the best option is for both my fiance and his sister to complete I-134 forms; even if they only require one or the other.

Does the I-134 require last year's tax information and the like? If so, my fiance has that information. It's only at the moment that he's between jobs, which is why we were thinking of his sister supporting us just to ensure that we don't have any issues. 

I don't really see any reason not to. It's no as if it takes a significant amount of effort. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, Wuozopo said:

@yuna628  Arent you one of the people who had a joint sponsor and only an I -134 from them, not the fiancé? 

AmyOlivia. I truly believe if you showed up and said "this is all I have" (an I-134 from his sister) it would be just fine because I know it has been allowed a number of times before IN LONDON. But if you have doubts, then it's not that hard for your fiancé to fill one out saying he is unemployed and earns zero income. 

That is correct. At the time London only wanted an I-134 and evidence from the joint sponsor. There was certainly nothing that I could have provided London of interest. :thumbs: The officer did ask questions related to the joint sponsor, such as what she did etc and they did ask iirc the nature of the circumstances of why we needed one. I didn't work at the time as I was busy dealing with my mom's cancer and her care. They had no problems with any of it and it was a pleasant and quick experience.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Other Timeline

Seeing as your NVC received date is in January, you may find additional help and experiences in this subforum:

Additionally, we have a few UK filers there that are currently going through the exact same processes and can serve as a walk-through on the next steps.

Note: I saw your case was received by the NVC, but you haven't received notification that it shipped or anything from the embassy that it has arrived with them? Based on your timeline, it should have shipped in one of the February shipments. Sorry if I missed the response to this in earlier comments.

Edited by celie&joseph

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Fantastic, thank you all for the continued responsiveness and guidance!

My fiance will fill out an I-134 just in case, so I can produce it and the joint sponsor I-134 with the story as to why. Our hope is that my fiance will have a new job any time now, so I can showcase to the London Embassy at my interview that he was simply changing jobs and his sister was ready to assist us due to her high income.

I've since updated my timeline since the Visa status changed yesterday to READY, so the Embassy has received everything and I'm ready to get along with booking my Medical!

Will the Embassy be in touch regarding the booking of my interview, or should I look into getting that booked, too?

Timeline
1 hour ago, AmyOlivia said:

Will the Embassy be in touch regarding the booking of my interview, or should I look into getting that booked, too?

The embassy will send you one letter only and it's the K1 instructions found on their website which you have been given before. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/. Later you may be given the interview day info  link https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/IVK-preparingforyourappointment.pdf but it's up to you to schedule your interview when you are ready.

Find the four steps on the instruction page that look like this and follow Step 4 when you have gotten your ducks in a row for the other steps.

IMG_1700.thumb.PNG.4adb4acabe471b16a08fd1c453fb7299.PNG

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
On 3/6/2019 at 5:54 PM, AmyOlivia said:

Thank you so much for the speedy response!

Would you recommend for my fiance, the USC, to file for the Affidavit in that case and is therefore required? I'm confused by all of the "may require", "may need" and all the rest of it in the instructions/ lists of required documents regarding this document.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:01 AM, AmyOlivia said:

Thank you for these helpful steps on how to sort out the I-134!

Just a further question regarding this process:

My fiance, the USC, is wondering whether he is supposed to show himself as the support of my application AND a joint sponsor, or only the joint sponsor. He will be receiving assistance from his sister in the sponsor/ I-134 process.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:24 AM, Wuozopo said:

This is specific to London and not other consulates. 

If he doesn't make enough to meet the support guidelines, then he doesn't do an I-134. London will accept his sister as the sponsor. She does an I-134 with proof that her income meets the requirement. 

She should mail her original signed form and proof of income to you. London likes employer letters as proof or one tax return, three returns are not needed.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:49 PM, ThomasNC1988 said:

Remember that even if she is filling it out, generally, I think always he must also still fill one out and submit the required documents even if he doesn't meet the criteria.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:36 AM, AmyOlivia said:

As a follow up to the question whether a fiancé has to provide an I-34 for LONDON if he doesn't qualify on income. Here is yet another example (from yesterday 22 Mar 2019) where only the I-134 from the joint sponsor was required.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/701969-k1-interview-experience/?do=findComment&amp;comment=9634390

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.