crono_clone

How Important is Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage?

56 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Naes said:

I know what they’re referring to, but as you pointed never heard of k1 getting rfe for lack of evidence of bonafide evidence at that stage.

I know you did. I viewed your post as a shoulder shrug🤷‍♀️ and I wasnt done getting mad about the misinformation the other poster posted so I bounced off of your comment like an "oh and another thing" type of response. Didnt mean for you to take it any other way.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I know you did. I viewed your post as a shoulder shrug🤷‍♀️ and I wasnt done getting mad about the misinformation the other poster posted so I bounced off of your comment like an "oh and another thing" type of response. Didnt mean for you to take it any other way.

Oh I didn’t ♥️

Im laughing at “ I wasnt done getting mad about the misinformation” 😂

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, stacyt said:

I'm applying for AOS right now....sadly, seen some denials and RFE's for lack of evidence. Multiple sources have advised that I attach these things, so I figured I'm better off overdoing it now than wasting time replying to RFE's or re-applying later :) 

They recently had a new law implemented that allows denying "empty" or "placeholder" petitions without RFE's. There were a lot of people sending in almost no evidence and then working on collecting evidence while waiting, then receive RFE and submit all their stuff. USCIS put an end to this. 

I thought this only applied to the initial I-130 

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

8 minutes ago, Apple Bee said:

I thought this only applied to the initial I-130 

It applies to ppl who file for immigration benefits that they are ineligible for. If you are eligible for that immigration benefit and you forget/dont send a required document, you will still be issued an RFIE/RFE

This policy has no bearing here because proof of bonafide marriage are not a required documents for the initial I485 filing. 

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
6 hours ago, crono_clone said:

For a K1 visa holder applying for AOS, how important is it to have the evidence of bona fide marriage? I have everything else I need now (like the certified copy of marriage certificate that I was waiting on) except for that.

We applied for his SSN almost a month ago and it still hasn't come in, so I haven't been able to put him on my lease, bank account, insurance, etc. And without those, my only evidence would be photographs of our wedding and of living together, which from experience is just "secondary" evidence.

And because of how long this process is currently taking, we'd like to file as soon as possible to get the clock started, but not if it means a possible RFE or rejection. So what have other people in here done? Do we absolutely need that evidence, or is it really only important for applying for Removal of Conditions?

The only proof you need at time of filing is the certified copy of your marriage certificate (you can send a photo copy of the certified MC) 

Best to file before her I-94 expires, since she'll be out of status and at that point they're allowed to deport her (it doesn't happen, but it's not beneficial to be out of status)

Since it usually takes 1+ year to get an interview (depending on your local office) you have enough time to collect evidence to take to the AOS interview.

If it happens that you get your interview sooner, just take whatever you have at that moment. USCIS understands if you don't have a ton of evidence when she doesn't have SSN etc yet.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
53 minutes ago, C90 said:

The only proof you need at time of filing is the certified copy of your marriage certificate (you can send a photo copy of the certified MC) 

Best to file before her I-94 expires, since she'll be out of status and at that point they're allowed to deport her (it doesn't happen, but it's not beneficial to be out of status)

Since it usually takes 1+ year to get an interview (depending on your local office) you have enough time to collect evidence to take to the AOS interview.

If it happens that you get your interview sooner, just take whatever you have at that moment. USCIS understands if you don't have a ton of evidence when she doesn't have SSN etc yet.

Maybe you all will laugh at me now but we have decided to send all we have collected in 1 month of our marriage ( except photos which we don’t have so much) .Better safe then sorry , I simply don’t believe them .But we will be collecting proofs all the time of course and hopefully will have enough proofs for the interview. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
3 minutes ago, RedroseMT said:

simply don’t believe them .

You simply don't believe who?

In the end, do whatever makes you most comfortable. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 minutes ago, RedroseMT said:

Maybe you all will laugh at me now but we have decided to send all we have collected in 1 month of our marriage ( except photos which we don’t have so much) .Better safe then sorry , I simply don’t believe them .But we will be collecting proofs all the time of course and hopefully will have enough proofs for the interview. 

No one is laughing at you, you're free to send whatever you want and file whenever you want to after marriage. Totally up to you.

We're just pointing out that it's important to know that no evidence of bonafide marriage is required, so that people who're contemplating filing asap vs. collecting evidence don't waste their time because of misconceptions. Especially now that some AOS timelines are long enough as they are.

K1 NOA1: 9/12/2017. NOA23/10/2018. Case # Assigned: 3/28/2018. Embassy Received: 3/29/2018. Medical: 4/18/2018. Interview: 5/3/2018. VOH: 5/8/2018. US Entry (POE JFK): 5/24/2018.

AOS Package Sent: 6/4/2018. NOA1/Received Date: 6/5/2018. Biometrics Appt: 6/28/2018. I-765/I-131 Combo Card Received: 9/25/2018. I-765/I-131 Renewal Sent: 4/2/2019. NOA1/Received Date: 4/3/2019. GC Interview: 9/19/2019. GC Approved: 11/5/2019. 

ROC Package Sent: 9/20/2021 NOA1/Received Date: 9/22/2021 NOA1 In Mail: 10/2/2021 

N-400 Applied Online: 8/22/2022 NOA1/Received Date: 8/23/2022 Interview Date: 11/30/2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Like others have said, you don't need to send any proof of bonafide marriage, that's not a requirement for the i-485. Just send the marriage certificate and the other required documents.

We didn't send any proof but brought some to the interview. The IO didn't want to look at any of it though.

They know you haven't been married long and won't have an issue if you don't have any proof yet. Start collecting for the ROC step, that's where it will be very important.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful! Now I feel better about getting our application out instead of waiting.

***K-1 Visa***

NOA1:         03/01/18 (old site)

03/06/18 (new site)

NOA2:         09/04/18

Interview:   12/27/18

Visa Rcvd:   01/09/19

POE Date:    01/27/19

Married:       02/22/19

***Adjustment of Status***

Sent:             03/07/19

NOA1:           03/15/19

Biometrics:  04/11/19

Ready:           04/24/19

EAD/AP:        08/20/19

Card Rcvd:    08/26/19

***Removal of Conditions***

Sent:             11/17/21

NOA1:           11/20/21

24-month Extension: Received

48-month Extension: Received

***Naturalization***

Sent:             10/05/23

NOA1:           10/05/23

============================================

Case Status Online: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus

I wouldn't hold up applying over this. As already said, the wait times are long. 

I can only speak from my personal experience. We got a RFIE for the marriage certificate even though we sent it in - it was either lost or someone made a mistake. Included in the RFIE was bona fide marriage evidence (we didn't include any in the original AOS package because it is not in the instructions to send it in). We then sent in a boatload of evidence in the RFIE response and our interview was waved. Just a little tangent about my experience....

Moral of the story: Don't wait! 

Really important as brought up by another member: K1 to AOS interviews are not being waived anymore. - Save up your documentation for the interview. 

Edited by ronniebreda
Confusing statement

10 minutes ago, ronniebreda said:

I wouldn't hold up applying over this. As already said, the wait times are long. 

I can only speak from my personal experience. We got a RFIE for the marriage certificate even though we sent it in - it was either lost or someone made a mistake. Included in the RFIE was bona fide marriage evidence (we didn't include any in the original AOS package because it is not in the instructions to send it in). We then sent in a boatload of evidence in the RFIE response and our interview was waved. Just a little tangent about my experience....

Moral of the story: Don't wait! 

Note (not for your ronniebreda but for others reading, just tying in on your experience) that they no longer waive the AOS interview for K1s effective May 15th, 2018.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

1 minute ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Note (not for your ronniebreda but for other reading, just tying in on your experience) that they no longer waive the AOS interview for K1s effective May 15th, 2018.

Thank you for bringing that up (and reminding me)! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

You don’t need all that evidence to file AOS, I provided it anyway but it was a waste of time and printed paper.

Save all that stuff for the ROC interview.  

Edited by Rocko20

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
13 hours ago, stacyt said:

I was denied SSN, yet we were able to put my name on almost everything:

- Joint insurance 

- Joint bank account (Chase doesn't require SSN)

- Joint T Mobile account (my husband is the primary holder)

- My name on utilities 

Looks like you're in Cali too, so that shouldn't be a problem.

We also attached pictures, hotels, plane tickets from before and after marriage, and I also had 4 affidavits from friends and family confirming they are aware we are a real couple and have a bona fide marriage.

Hope it helps!

What documents did Chase bank asked for to open a back account for beneficiary who came with K1 visa? Did u open an Individual account or joint account?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.