SJordanS

Engagement Photos with K1 petition?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I am curious as to where is proof of engagement is required evidence for the petition?

My understanding is that the letters requested to indicate an intent to marry constitutes proof of engagement. That is precisely what an engagement is: an intent to marry. I can't remember whether or not these letters were required or if it was just something that was strongly recommended. In either case every material used to supplement the I-129f packet is meant to illustrate the authenticity of a serious relationship that will lead to marriage (an engagement). To be clear, since it looks like OP misunderstood my post, I did not participate in an engagement ceremony. I just proposed with an engagement ring. That said, I did look into engagement ceremonies and apparently they are a separate event from a wedding. Perhaps this will confuse the case and damage OP's chances of success but I don't know; someone more knowledgeable than me should be making that prediction. Anyways, I've never heard of "too married" anywhere outside of this site. So if OP is maybe-sorta-kindaish-married and would therefore be ineligible for a k1 visa does that mean they would need to get a divorce to prove they are 'divorced enough' to reapply for a k1? Or should they get all-the-way-married and apply for a spousal visa?

32 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I am curious as to where is proof of engagement is required evidence for the petition?

Its not 🤭

the only requirement is that you’ve met in person in the last two years and that you have enough relationship evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to say you’ll probably get married and you like each other.

people can’t seem to understand that USCIS runs this show and if they believe you are religiously or legally married then yes they can deny you. This visa is to become fresh married, not get married a second time or to become married legally after being married in the eyes of your religion.

You cant prove that you’re not married (aside from the countries that actually do provide that info), with USCIS you’re guilty until proven innocent.

The intent to marry letters aren’t as much a letter saying that you’re engaged, but that you are free to marry and are promising the government you will do so within 90 days of the foreign finance coming into the US. It’s just an agreement to uphold your end of the deal with the government, not your agreement to actually marry. That’s why this visa gets so abused.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thank you all for your comments and feedback.  I just might be a new case study for this group. I know that in Russia a lot of engagements take place in church and those petitions are not denied. So if it does come up during the CO interview My fiancé will give the honest explanation and hopefully they would have seen this before  because I’m not going to be the first doing  this in the country of Jordan or the last. NOTE:  for those who asked me why I did it this way and who not aware if I can just give a little bit of background.  In Jordan and even here in the states if a Christian arab girl ir arab-american is going to get engaged the family ALWAYS invites the priest of the church to the home or banquet hall to do the blessing of the rings and a prayer for them. So a lot of people choose to do it in their home or venue to accommodate the families who want to attend then they follow up with a big party.  My fiancé’s apartment is too small to invite all those people so we settled to do it in the church.  Normal to have a family and friends gathering at an engagement. We did not have a party afterwards as soon as we were done we all went home and we had a barbecue. I noticed a lot of the examples here or with people who did a ceremonial engagement in Pakistan or India. That could be a different case. So let’s wait-and-see what happens to me and hopefully I’ll be able to help us all out. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

3 hours ago, Tyler26 said:

You're either married or you're not; I don't understand the concept of being "too married" or "too engaged". Since when are there degrees of it?

USCIS has had to learn how to determine this as a fine point, as many married couples have tried to use the K-1 to expedite the process (particularly when K-1 was so much faster).

Also, FYI:  "engaged" is not a legal status.  A ring and a formal engagement are personal choices, but are in no way required for petition approval.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Tyler26 said:

My understanding is that the letters requested to indicate an intent to marry constitutes proof of engagement. That is precisely what an engagement is: an intent to marry. I can't remember whether or not these letters were required or if it was just something that was strongly recommended. In either case every material used to supplement the I-129f packet is meant to illustrate the authenticity of a serious relationship that will lead to marriage (an engagement). To be clear, since it looks like OP misunderstood my post, I did not participate in an engagement ceremony. I just proposed with an engagement ring. That said, I did look into engagement ceremonies and apparently they are a separate event from a wedding. Perhaps this will confuse the case and damage OP's chances of success but I don't know; someone more knowledgeable than me should be making that prediction. Anyways, I've never heard of "too married" anywhere outside of this site. So if OP is maybe-sorta-kindaish-married and would therefore be ineligible for a k1 visa does that mean they would need to get a divorce to prove they are 'divorced enough' to reapply for a k1? Or should they get all-the-way-married and apply for a spousal visa?

FYI, it is recommended to show proof of intent to marry when submitting an I-129 for a K1 visa with something along the lines of a "letter of intent". It's basically a (well) written letter affirming yours and your partner's intent to marry one another, upon entry into the US with a K1 visa for the beneficiary, signed by the aforementioned parties. Engagement photos, proof of an engagement party, or proof of an engagement ring being offered is not required.

Also - if one becomes denied for a K1 visa based on evidence leading the officer(s) to believe the couple is already married ("too married"), then they would need to fulfill any remaining legal requirements for marriage, if applicable, and then file for a CR1 as a married couple.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

I hope this thread will be updates when OP gets a decision. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hopefully it will work out in your favor, but one thing to keep in mind is that it is very difficult to "prove" you are not married. This is why officers err on the side of caution and will deny K1 petitions for appearing to be married. It's a very American mindset to say "you are either married or your not!". That's not how it works with immigration; there are shades of grey. Many countries have traditional marriages that would not be considered a legal marriage here in the U.S., but they will cause K1 visa denials. There are also countries where having multiple spouses is perfectly legal and accepted, whereas in America it is a crime and will cause denials of any marriage-based visa.

The fact you included a lot of detail and explanation into what was actually taking place may help, but only time will tell.

Also just to reiterate a couple of points based on other posts - having professional engagement photos taken is a common occurrence in the US. It is also a common occurrence for the person proposing to give their partner a ring. It is not, however, a normal tradition in the U.S. for both parties to exchange rings and have a ceremony in a church. The USCIS employee(s) reviewing these petitions cannot be expected to know what may be considered normal for the beneficiaries' country, but they will know what a typical American engagement entails. On the flip side, the CO at the embassy/interview stage will be aware of local customs and will take this into account, regardless of whether it affects the visa application positively or negatively. These are things that everyone needs to take into consideration at each stage of the visa process.  

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Every case is a 'one-off.' Even if your case gets through it does not set a precedent for cases that follow...

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

USCIS has had to learn how to determine this as a fine point, as many married couples have tried to use the K-1 to expedite the process (particularly when K-1 was so much faster).

Also, FYI:  "engaged" is not a legal status.  A ring and a formal engagement are personal choices, but are in no way required for petition approval.  

This ^^^^

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, SueSaed said:

Please don’t respond if you’re going to make comments not related to the subject matter. Thank you.  

Thank you so much Nicole. 

Just a word of caution, telling someone not to post is against the terms of service of this site.  You may or may not like what a person posts, but they are free to post it and you are certainly free to ignore it.

Apart from that, thank you for the education you have provided in this thread.  I look forward to hearing the outcome and hopefully it is in your favor.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Ash.1101 said:

USCIS considered ceremonial/religious ceremonies to be almost one in the same as legal.

Only if the ceremony is considered as legal under the law of the place where it's performed.

According to USCIS Manual( https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter2.html#footnote-1)

"The applicant must establish validity of his or her marriage. In general, the legal validity of a marriage is determined by the law of the place where the marriage was celebrated (“place-of-celebration rule”). Under this rule, a marriage is valid for immigration purposes in cases where the marriage is valid under the law of the jurisdiction in which it is performed."

I think, the CO at the embassy will have the final say if it's legal or not because they know the custom of the host country better. If under Jordan law, it's a legal ceremony, then your K1 visa would be likely denied.

K1 VISA: Done in 346 days

Spoiler

Jan 5, 2018: Preparation Started                                                                                   October 31, 2018: Medical Check Up                                                           

Jan 19, 2018: I-129F Packet Sent                                                                                  Nov 2, 2018: Consulate Received                                                                              

Jan 22, 2018: Electronic NOA1 Received                                                                     Nov 6, 2018: Packet 4 Received

Feb 1, 2018: Hard Copy NOA1 Received                                                                       Dec 6, 2018: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

Oct 2, 2018: NOA2 (254 DAYS after NOA1) ***No RFE                                             Dec 11, 2018: Visa Received

Oct 16, 2018: NVC Received                                                                                           Dec 17, 2018: POE (11 Months and 12 days since Starting K1)

October 30, 2018: NVC Left

AOS | SF Local Office: Done in 357 days

Spoiler

Dec 17, 2018: POE                                                                                                                March 5, 2019: Biometrics at ASC in SF

Dec 27, 2018: Apply for SSN                                                                                               March 5, 2019: I-485 and I-765 Status Changed to Fingerprint Review Was Complete 

Jan 11, 2019: Wedding                                                                                                        May 15, 2019: I-485 Status Changed to Case Is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview (New Site Only)

Jan 14, 2019: AOS Preparation Started (1 Year 9 Days Since Starting K1)                May 23, 2019: EAD/AP Approved (97 days since NOA1)

Jan 15, 2019: SSN Card Received                                                                                     December 6, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal sent

Jan 29, 2019: Marriage Certificate Picked Up                                                                 December 9, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal NOA1

Feb 5, 2019: AOS Package Sent                                                                                         December 23, 2019: I-485 Case is Scheduled for Interview (Old Site Only)

Feb 11, 2019: NOA1                                                                                                             January 27, 2020: Interview in San Jose Field Office (Approved)

Feb 19, 2019: NOA1 Received by Mail                                                                              February 3, 2020 : Green Card in Hand

Feb 22, 2019: Biometrics Notification Received by Mail

ROC | California Service Center: Done in 410 days

Nov 2, 2021: ROC Package Sent

Nov 5, 2021: Package delivered

Nov 8, 2021: Text received (WAC)

Nov 9, 2021: Check cashed

Nov 12, 2021: Hard copy of NOA1 received

April 20, 2022: Biometric is waived

Dec 9, 2022: Card is being produced (No interview)

Dec 13, 2022: Case was approved

Dec 16, 2022: GC on hand

📊 I-751 November 2021 Filers Google Sheet 📅

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vonQCJgs9HODO2Y1DdSs3HNyL_FRnMfenlIeDQAUpWg/edit#gid=806913795

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
14 hours ago, SueSaed said:

Hi VJers,

I’ve been reading a few posts this evening and got a little nervous. As I am waiting for my NOA2, I’ve been reading that USCIS can see formal engagement photos as being too engaged or almost married. My fiancé and I got engaged in our Orthodox Church in Jordan. I sent a few photos with my petition and its on our FB. Of course I’m wearing a simple red dress.  Not white! I included a certificate from the priest who stamped it who blessed our rings, and he wrote the date, our names and that he commenced our engagement. Will this be a problem with USCIS? I’m so confused now! All we wanted was a beautiful engagement ceremony! 

it seems like a red flag to k1 petition.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

You should save the money on a lawyer and do it yourself.  It's not that hard.  Cr1 is really better imo wish I had chose to go that way. I am sorry to say it is very close to a wedding.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
7 hours ago, Najee & Maan said:

I APPRECIATE ON YOU EXPLAINING THE INSTANCES TO EVERYONE HERE. I also love how you respond to the opinions and negative reactions that might come your way per your story. Please know we all want the best for your situation as we all want for everyone here ❤️

Thank you so much ❤️❤️❤️🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 i appreciate YOU for that. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.