Jump to content

Canadian getting married to Green card holder

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,


My fiance is a Canadian citizen with a US green card. He lives and works in the US.

I am a Canadian citizen. We are hoping to get married in Canada early next year and then him sponsoring my move to the US.


I know the process may be long, however, I am hoping to work in the US while waiting for the green card process to be completed. How would that be possible please?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You would need to qualify fir a visa that allows you to work. maybe a TN for example.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As Boiler mentioned, the only way for you to work in the US during the process is to have a work visa like your fiance. Or  if your spouse is on an L1 for example you can obtain an L2 visa for spouses that allows spouses of L1's to enter and obtain work authorization. It depends on what time of visa your spouse has.


 Other than that, you will have to wait it out in Canada.


The timeline for spousal visa for LPR's is roughly 2 years.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...