swhang

Can my fiancée do some of the K1 steps from within the U.S.?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

So I sent in my application in early Oct 2018. I was thinking it's going to take a really long time 9-12 months. 

So we thought she can come over to the States and use her ESTA (she's Korean) and stay up for 90 days as we wait... meaning she can stay here until early May 2019. But what a surprise. I got a NOA2 approval in mid Feb 2019. That's less than 5 months! 

I think the next steps will be for her to do an interview and medical tests. So can she do that while she is currently here in the States? Or will I need to send her back to Korea and do all the steps there? We're trying to minimize the time apart as much as possible.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, swhang said:

So I sent in my application in early Oct 2018. I was thinking it's going to take a really long time 9-12 months. 

So we thought she can come over to the States and use her ESTA (she's Korean) and stay up for 90 days as we wait... meaning she can stay here until early May 2019. But what a surprise. I got a NOA2 approval in mid Feb 2019. That's less than 5 months! 

I think the next steps will be for her to do an interview and medical tests. So can she do that while she is currently here in the States? Or will I need to send her back to Korea and do all the steps there? We're trying to minimize the time apart as much as possible.

Everything is done abroad for the Visa application 

YMMV

1 minute ago, swhang said:

She can try and gather documents while here but the medical and interview are abroad and cannot be done inside the US

There is no US embassy within US.

That should answer your question.

(in case it didn't, NO she cannot do medical or interview in the US. She NEEDS to go back)

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

5 minutes ago, swhang said:

I think the next steps will be for her to do an interview and medical tests. So can she do that while she is currently here in the States?

As others said, she cannot do interview or medicals in the US. 

Also, one thing I want to point out is admitting someone on ESTA is at the discretion of the CBP at the port of entry. So there is a possibility (may be a small one) that she might not be able to come because of the approved K-1 petition. They may tell her to go back to finish the K-1 and come. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, swhang said:

Or will I need to send her back to Korea 

Time to send her packing

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.