LukeU

What's missing

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
41 minutes ago, LukeU said:

See I'm still currently studying through open university so I need to find out how that'll all pan out, although I believe due to me being a UK resident continously previously to starting studying I'll be able to get funding. I just hope they do the same with me regarding the repayments. 

I guess in Vegas it's between hot and painfully hot 90% of the time? We're going to be getting married there so I'm excited to visit. 

Yeah I think it's going to change my outlook on a lot of things :)  I'm glad over all that you would do it again! You made the right call. 

Vegas has been relatively cold and mild all winter. Nothing special. It is starting to heat a little at the moment - 65+

Definitely keep the studying for the Open Uni. It's all worth it! When is your interview Luke? :) 

6 minutes ago, jakejon said:

Vegas has been relatively cold and mild all winter. Nothing special. It is starting to heat a little at the moment - 65+

Definitely keep the studying for the Open Uni. It's all worth it! When is your interview Luke? :) 

I'm hoping in late June, early July it has a cooler spell...but I'm not holding my breathe for sure haha! 

Absolutely, I'm pretty sure I'm able to get student funding too so, fingers crossed. 

My interview is March 11th, week on Monday :) Hopefully I have everything in hand by the time Courtney arrives (28th March) as I want to surprise her with it during our London trip. 

Looking to fly out May 11th. We've played everything on the conservative end of average timelines so, here's to hoping! 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

There is nothing I miss. I am settled in, and Texas is my home...for better or worse. I would never entertain the thought of moving back to England. I think the key is accept your new place for what it is and don't keep trying to recreate the UK in the US. Jump in and find new things to eat and do. I'm in an area of big wide roads, cheap petrol,  and acres of free parking. I embrace it and have forgotten about walking to the shops and having pavements.

Yes, that limbo period when you are a K1 and can't do much can be difficult for some. I drove on my UK license and spent my wife's money. Get over thinking "my money" and "your money" and think "our money". Your fiancé/spouse agreed to support you.  That early period won't last forever.  

Edited by Wuozopo

I always have Marmite in the cupboard. Branston Pickle too, but at this stage that's just because one of my kids likes it.
I like my detached house with acreage. But I also still miss walking and so on. Maybe when the kids are grown I will get a city bedsit as a second home. 😆

So, we spoke at length about this on another thread, so I won’t bore you with the teabag/Branson pickle lament again @LukeU!

I lived in LA for 6 months in 2017 and I think the only thing I didn’t stop missing was getting malt vinegar with chips (food-wise) and lush green grass (LA is fairly briwn as opposed to green, though currently they’re having an El Niño year, so that’s not entirely accurate right now!). However, as @Wuozopo said, for everything you ‘lose’, you gain something else instead - like, rather than doing ParkRun through green grass on Saturday, I’d run the Griffith Observatory hills on Wednesdays, as the sun rises over the Hollywood sign 😍.

My dog is coming with me, that was a non-negotiable factor. 

I know I’ll miss my mum, so I moved in with her in December, so we could spend my last year here together (I’m expecting/hoping to move in November - we’ve had to delay stuff to wait for an available kennel on the Queen Mary 2, as my dog is too old to fly). I’m really glad I made that decision as I get to have real, quality time with her before I go - cook each other dinner etc, walk the dogs together, do yoga together 🙃.

Re money, I like to be independent, so am working my behind off to save - however, me and my fiancé already work as a joint operation when it comes to money - it doesn’t matter who pays what, because we’re a team. So, we both know that Herschell will be supporting me for many months and we’re cool with that. But I have made it clear that I don’t do hoovering and Herschell’s accepted that’ll always be a solo mission 😂😂.

Edited by Zoeeeeeee

I’m not looking forward to being cooped up whilst we await my green card and documents allowing me to work and drive, however, we’ve made some plans re that. Herschell is buying me a car that will be delivered when we get off the ship in New York - we are then going to road trip from NY to LA - and he’s adding me to his insurance, which means I’ll be able to drive the car, but only when he’s in it too - and if I commit any offences (speeding etc), he would get the points/fines. So, when we go to places together, he’s said I can drive as much as I want, so I don’t forget how.(We’re in negotiation re who will get our apartment’s car parking space though 😆)

When he’s not there, I’m going to use a bike and the metro system - I won’t be able to get everywhere, but I’ll be able to get to key places and all my friends drive, so will carpool with them 🙃

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

me and my fiancé already work as a joint operation when it comes to money - it doesn’t matter who pays what, because we’re a team.

I like the team attitude you have already adopted. 

I don't like mowing so my wife hired lawn guys. She was tired of hoovering and mopping, so hired maids. Laundry is each man for himself. When it comes to putting out the garbage, she says "That's why I married you." 😂 

14 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I like the team attitude you have already adopted. 

I don't like mowing so my wife hired lawn guys. She was tired of hoovering and mopping, so hired maids. Laundry is each man for himself. When it comes to putting out the garbage, she says "That's why I married you." 😂 

Ha! I actually really like doing laundry, which I know is a weird thing to say...

Herschell was raised in Japan, so is super on it when it comes to keeping everywhere immaculate (they did cleaning as part of the school day)...and I tell him I was raised by wolves, so don’t understand how the Hoover works...😆

Moved to USA in October 2018, a lot has happened back home since the short amount of time I moved here.. I miss my mum & my sister most. My mum made a heartbreaking call to me on Feb 3rd to say my childhood dog of almost 12 years had suddenly become poorly & had to be put to sleep ... absolutely devastated; It never crossed my mind when i said bye to my dog on moving day that i wouldnt see her later on this year when i can visit.. :( My mum's been feeling low as my sister started University in Sept 2018 then me moving..I'm so so soo sooooo happy to be with Jake after 4 years long distance but it hasn't been easy being far away from my mum with devastating news like that.

I just found in Stop & Shop that they sell a small selection of British food.. I got my hands on a small jar of Marmite & a pack of Mcvities rich tea biscuits 😋

Just had a lovely marmite sandwich hahaha, my taste buds are buzzin!

Edited by Meisha&Jake

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

6 hours ago, Meisha&Jake said:

Moved to USA in October 2018, a lot has happened back home since the short amount of time I moved here.. I miss my mum & my sister most. My mum made a heartbreaking call to me on Feb 3rd to say my childhood dog of almost 12 years had suddenly become poorly & had to be put to sleep ... absolutely devastated; It never crossed my mind when i said bye to my dog on moving day that i wouldnt see her later on this year when i can visit.. :( My mum's been feeling low as my sister started University in Sept 2018 then me moving..I'm so so soo sooooo happy to be with Jake after 4 years long distance but it hasn't been easy being far away from my mum with devastating news like that.

I just found in Stop & Shop that they sell a small selection of British food.. I got my hands on a small jar of Marmite & a pack of Mcvities rich tea biscuits 😋

Oh, I’m so sorry Meisha - can imagine how heartbroken you must feel. I think that’s absolutely the key - when we step on that plane or boat or whatever, there’s no guarantee that everything will be the same when we get back,

My mum actually emigrated to Portugal when I was 21, though she moved back after 10 years - so  I’m used to having that long distance relationship with her - plus, I’m going set up Skype for video calls before I leave - but I will definitely miss her a lot - maybe moving in has been a double-edged sword, in that I’ve got used to seeing so much of her!

11 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

So, we spoke at length about this on another thread, so I won’t bore you with the teabag/Branson pickle lament again @LukeU!

I lived in LA for 6 months in 2017 and I think the only thing I didn’t stop missing was getting malt vinegar with chips (food-wise) and lush green grass (LA is fairly briwn as opposed to green, though currently they’re having an El Niño year, so that’s not entirely accurate right now!). However, as @Wuozopo said, for everything you ‘lose’, you gain something else instead - like, rather than doing ParkRun through green grass on Saturday, I’d run the Griffith Observatory hills on Wednesdays, as the sun rises over the Hollywood sign 😍.

My dog is coming with me, that was a non-negotiable factor. 

I know I’ll miss my mum, so I moved in with her in December, so we could spend my last year here together (I’m expecting/hoping to move in November - we’ve had to delay stuff to wait for an available kennel on the Queen Mary 2, as my dog is too old to fly). I’m really glad I made that decision as I get to have real, quality time with her before I go - cook each other dinner etc, walk the dogs together, do yoga together 🙃.

Re money, I like to be independent, so am working my behind off to save - however, me and my fiancé already work as a joint operation when it comes to money - it doesn’t matter who pays what, because we’re a team. So, we both know that Herschell will be supporting me for many months and we’re cool with that. But I have made it clear that I don’t do hoovering and Herschell’s accepted that’ll always be a solo mission 😂😂.

That we did and we established out the amount of tea that @Wuozopo driinks is enough to drown a fully grown elephant! 

I 100% agree with regards to finding something new, we went running last time Courtney came over around the playing fields I run around and she was like "there's nothing like this back at home." Fast forward a month or so we went running there, along the river and it was absolutely beautiful. To me it seems for everything 5 things you 'lose'  you gain 10. 

The team approach regarding money is definitely the best one, thankfully similar to Herschell and yourself we do everything as a joint operation, it's just still going to seem strange. Although that is only in my eyes, Courtney couldn't care less! 

We've found out, I love hoovering, hate polishing and don't mind laundry other than ironing shirts, but we'll compromise on that 😛 Cooking, I used to be a chef so that's all set. 

11 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

I’m not looking forward to being cooped up whilst we await my green card and documents allowing me to work and drive, however, we’ve made some plans re that. Herschell is buying me a car that will be delivered when we get off the ship in New York - we are then going to road trip from NY to LA - and he’s adding me to his insurance, which means I’ll be able to drive the car, but only when he’s in it too - and if I commit any offences (speeding etc), he would get the points/fines. So, when we go to places together, he’s said I can drive as much as I want, so I don’t forget how.(We’re in negotiation re who will get our apartment’s car parking space though 😆)

When he’s not there, I’m going to use a bike and the metro system - I won’t be able to get everywhere, but I’ll be able to get to key places and all my friends drive, so will carpool with them 🙃

Now that's a road trip and half, I wanna' come along! We're looking down the line to move from MI to OR and I think I've managed to talk Courtney into renting a van and driving across over a week or so and stopping along the way! I hope my fines/points go on to Courtney haha! 

I'm pretty sure you'll manage to have the parking spot ;) I have a feeling haha! 

Cars is a massive talking point, if Courtney moved to the UK we would buy her a mini and if I moved there, we would get me a pickup truck....guess who's getting a truck! :P 

Summary:

8 hours ago, Meisha&Jake said:

Well you love it or you hate it right?! Rich tea biscuits is a saviour I'm sure! :P

I'm so sorry to hear about your childhood dog. It must be a large change and a shock to the system for your Mam. 

Summary:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, Meisha&Jake said:

It never crossed my mind when i said bye to my dog on moving day that i wouldnt see her later on this year when i can visit.. :( 

I'm sorry Meisha. That must be really difficult.

We re-homed our 3 cats when we moved. I'm really glad we made the decision not to bring them, for their sakes. In our local store there's always posters of missing cats because there are natural predators here. It was a tough decision to make because they had been a major part of my kid's childhoods. I really miss them too. 

Can your mum come out for a visit soon?

6 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Oh, I’m so sorry Meisha - can imagine how heartbroken you must feel. I think that’s absolutely the key - when we step on that plane or boat or whatever, there’s no guarantee that everything will be the same when we get back,

My mum actually emigrated to Portugal when I was 21, though she moved back after 10 years - so  I’m used to having that long distance relationship with her - plus, I’m going set up Skype for video calls before I leave - but I will definitely miss her a lot - maybe moving in has been a double-edged sword, in that I’ve got used to seeing so much of her!

Totally agree, its a massive sacrifice we make to make the move, but its totally the right decision for me to be with Jake at long last :)

I facetime my mum almost everyday, im glad we have that kinda technology!

4 hours ago, LukeU said:

Well you love it or you hate it right?! Rich tea biscuits is a saviour I'm sure! :P

I'm so sorry to hear about your childhood dog. It must be a large change and a shock to the system for your Mam. 

Im deffo a 100% Marmite lover, at the disgust of Jake LOL :D love dunkin a rich tea biscuit ina cuppa!

It definitely is a huge shock to my Mum's system, shes happy for the both of us but i think its been alot harder with the passing of our dog, it was like her baby :(

3 hours ago, fip & jim said:

I'm sorry Meisha. That must be really difficult.

We re-homed our 3 cats when we moved. I'm really glad we made the decision not to bring them, for their sakes. In our local store there's always posters of missing cats because there are natural predators here. It was a tough decision to make because they had been a major part of my kid's childhoods. I really miss them too. 

Can your mum come out for a visit soon?

Its truly not easy being away from family but lifetime pets too.. its just been a total shock really, added to this emotional rollercoaster thats for sure!

My mum & my sister came out in Nov 2018 for our small wedding ceremony, they are hoping to visit in Summer & hopefully ill have AP by my Mum's big 60th birthday in August so me & Jake can go celebrate with her back home in the UK :)

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.