ujones

Can I bring insulin from India ?

9 posts in this topic

My fiancé is type 2 diabetic on insulin & was wondering if we could buy insulin for a few months from India ? I don’t know if it’s allowed in checked baggage & how to keep it temperature controlled while travelling. Anyone here with any experience? 

Edited by ujones

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

slightly different, i work with patients with bleeding disorders who have to carry needles and factor treatment. From my experience its important to have a travel letter from your doctor stating your condition, treatment and what you are carrying. Once its declared to customs and security, my patients have had no trouble carrying their treatment. They also carry it in a cooler bag. 

You wouldn't check it and you'd need a cooler bag as a carry on.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

13 minutes ago, NikLR said:

You wouldn't check it and you'd need a cooler bag as a carry on.  

@NikLR, do you know if there’s any limitations on the number of vials we can bring ? I would like to buy enough for 6-8 months 

2 minutes ago, ujones said:

@NikLR, do you know if there’s any limitations on the number of vials we can bring ? I would like to buy enough for 6-8 months 

You'd have to ask the CBP.  Most often you can bring up to a 3 month supply of medication.

Often people with type 2 can get off insulin with diet and excercise. But some remain insulin dependent regardless.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to moving here and your new life from bringing family of LPR to the USA.  Topic is about moving to USA not visa related~~

easy to buy here and often no prescription needed if you discuss the situation with the pharmacist, I have purchased when out of town merely by showing my insulin pump

Edited by Randyandyuni

13 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

easy to buy here and often no prescription needed if you discuss the situation with the pharmacist, I have purchased when out of town merely by showing my insulin pump

@Randyandyuni, do you how much does a vial cost here if paying out of pocket ?

10 minutes ago, ujones said:

@Randyandyuni, do you how much does a vial cost here if paying out of pocket ?

I paid right at $100, pricey a little but better than not taking it for a short period or seeking a refill out of state via prescription 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.