DuncanWilson

Visitor Visa - Chances of Approval

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

"a few friends" in the US--any romantic interest in any of them?  That could be a problem for a future B2 visa application, just something to keep in mind...

45 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

"a few friends" in the US--any romantic interest in any of them?  That could be a problem for a future B2 visa application, just something to keep in mind...

A thought that did spring to mind as it is pretty unusual to make Des Moines the destination for a first trip to the US; still, stranger things have happened!

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

A thought that did spring to mind as it is pretty unusual to make Des Moines the destination for a first trip to the US; still, stranger things have happened!

"Yes sir, I want a tourist visa to visit the US for the first time."  "Where will you travel in the US?"  "To Des Moines, Iowa, for three weeks...."  

1 minute ago, carmel34 said:

"Yes sir, I want a tourist visa to visit the US for the first time."  "Where will you travel in the US?"  "To Des Moines, Iowa, for three weeks...."  

Well, we’ve gotta start somewhere! 😂

1 minute ago, carmel34 said:

I’ve got the ESTA for now. I’m sure I’ll obtain a visa when I go on a more convincing trip! 😂

Timeline
5 minutes ago, DuncanWilson said:

I’ve got the ESTA for now. I’m sure I’ll obtain a visa when I go on a more convincing trip! 😂

Enjoy Des Moines.  Hiking the Appalachian Trail sounds more like a tourist...  or Disney World.

10 minutes ago, DuncanWilson said:

New York City comes to mind to start somewhere, but hey enjoy Iowa!

You might run into some presidential candidates campaigning. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

7 hours ago, aleful said:

hi

none, nope, zero chance

cancel the interview and apply for ESTA. the first thing that the officer will ask you and think, why do you need a tourist visa if you can visit with an ESTA?

it doesn't matter your plans in the future, you can always apply for a tourist visa in the future, it's this trip what matters.

Most of the evidence is irrelevant, immigration doesn't care about an invitation or your dog, or even your family. you are a young man with a place to stay, you don't have a job in your country, you can stay with your friends and get a job here,

you said it yourself you can get up and go, you don't have strong ties to your country.

Not true.  My husband is from a VWP, and he applied for (and received) a B-2 with NO problems.  It does happen.  

Just now, DuncanWilson said:

May I ask what your husband’s situation was at that time? What were his reasons for obtaining a B-2 visa? Thank you. 

He had been over here on the ESTA, and POE was a tiny little island here in Washington state (we were coming in via Canada), and they clearly were not used to processing ESTAs or passports other than Canadian, LOL.....at least that's how it felt.  Also, he wanted the option to be able to stay for longer than 90 days.

He is in his 50s and had strong ties to New Zealand at the time (kids, property, job), but also was totally honest about having a GF in Seattle.

I know you are young and your situation is different, but I get tired of VJers claiming that no one from a VWP country EVER gets a B-2.  I promise it happens.  😊

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

He had been over here on the ESTA, and POE was a tiny little island here in Washington state (we were coming in via Canada), and they clearly were not used to processing ESTAs or passports other than Canadian, LOL.....at least that's how it felt.  Also, he wanted the option to be able to stay for longer than 90 days.

He is in his 50s and had strong ties to New Zealand at the time (kids, property, job), but also was totally honest about having a GF in Seattle.

I know you are young and your situation is different, but I get tired of VJers claiming that no one from a VWP country EVER gets a B-2.  I promise it happens.  😊

I believe it does happen, but I don’t have the same strong ties to my home that your husband had to his at that time. I’m on the ESTA for now and hopefully I can obtain a B-type visitor visa at a later date. 😊

10 minutes ago, DuncanWilson said:

I believe it does happen, but I don’t have the same strong ties to my home that your husband had to his at that time. I’m on the ESTA for now and hopefully I can obtain a B-type visitor visa at a later date. 😊

Yup, exactly.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

I don't think anyone claimed it never happens. It doesn't happen often therefore in most situations it's not worth the risk of losing VWP privileges.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 hours ago, DuncanWilson said:

Thank you to everybody! I have since applied for my ESTA and shelved the DS-160. I will apply for my visa when it’s closer to my longer visit. Out of interest, will travel to and from the US on an ESTA support a future visa application as it shows you to be ‘trusted’ to return home? 

Thank you. 

Agreed! Yes, I’m looking forward to the state fair. I’m sure I’ll have a ball. Thank you. 

Good decision, imo.

48 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

I don't think anyone claimed it never happens. It doesn't happen often therefore in most situations it's not worth the risk of losing VWP privileges.

MANY have claimed this.  (See above:  "none, nope, zero chance").  I haven't seen actual data (or even much anecdotal evidence from people here who personally experienced it), but in our personal experience, the husband had absolutely NO problem getting a B-2 from a VWP country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.