ManOnMoon

Fiance About to Receive K-1 Visa(merged)

90 posts in this topic

Just now, dwheels76 said:

My pleasure. I am like you I love to learn stuff. This immigration stuff will make your head explode. LOL🤯

Occasionally there is an epiphany and for the moment things make sense!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, John & Rose said:

Occasionally there is an epiphany and for the moment things make sense!

Praying for more frequent epiphanies.   :)

YMMV

1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

I actually do knit and crochet. I've never knitted and crocheted as much as I did while waiting for the EAD/AP.

I taught myself to knit using YouTube and a few books during my 7 month wait. Beanies and sweaters for the whole family! 🤣

2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Exactly, so the process of marrying and acquiring the certified copy of the marriage certificate could potentially add a month or more onto the overall timeline.  

We were lucky to have been able to send off my husband's AOS packet three weeks after POE.  That was lightning-fast.

Depends where you marry obviously.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• Ontarkie changed the title to Fiance About to Receive K-1 Visa(merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

5 hours ago, ManOnMoon said:

I heard that AP nowadays takes 5-6months during that period is it true that they cannot work?

What are they suppose to do? What did yours do? All ideas greatly accepted. 

Yes of course it's true they can't work without authorization. That's what the EAD is for.

As to what people are "supposed" to do, there's no standard answer to that question. It just depends what's going on with you both during that waiting period and what she's willing and able to do. But honestly, it's mostly sucking it up and waiting. If the lack of work and travel authorization are stressing you out this much, then you have the option of foregoing the K1 and doing CR1. If you decide to stick with the K1, your fiancee needs to be prepared to sit around and twiddle her thumbs for a while. That's just how it is.

Timeline
1 hour ago, nastra30 said:

The dilemma of CR1 vs K-1. 🤔

It's a dilemma for people that hasn't applied for anything, for the poster this shouldn't be a dilemma.  Everyone that comes on this forum wants to be together, here's their opportunity, just cut any losses and be together.  Switching to a CR1 now just seems picky over not being able to work to me.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 minutes ago, myjourney2018 said:

It's a dilemma for people that hasn't applied for anything, for the poster this shouldn't be a dilemma.  Everyone that comes on this forum wants to be together, here's their opportunity, just cut any losses and be together.  Switching to a CR1 now just seems picky over not being able to work to me.  

He's still in a dilemma of whether to keep K1 or switch to CR1...or he wouldn't be asking.

Edited by nastra30

4 hours ago, Nov2017AD said:

This thread again? Just don't pay the lease if she doesn't care about leaving HK or just pay the lease. It's just money. Big fuss over 6 months of wages.

Exactly what I was thinking as well. Why would you pay the lease if the spouse will be living in the USA? I get it that sometimes people want to finish their contracts and get the little extra money at the end of a contract but to me that is the least of my worries. 

17 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Thanks. I learn something new everyday!

The other important function of the NVC is that they calculate the cut-off date for all visa categories, both family and employment-based, based on demand data from USCIS and visa usage data from all issuing Posts overseas. A daunting task, I might add. They're the one issuing the visa bulletin every month that determine which priority date gets to file or have a visa (for the categories that doesn't have an unlimited number of visas)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.....

Why don't you consider moving to Hong Kong? I went through your posts, which are all about the same thing, your fiance delaying moving to the US. It seems that she has a lucrative career. I mean she's able to afford an apartment in one of the most unaffordable cities in the world, in regards to housing. (BTW almost all leases that I know of in Hong Kong can be broken, you just need to pay a 2 month rent penalty). She has family she needs to care for and it seems she's not in the position to move here in the near future. If you want this woman to sacrifice her job, family, and life to move here to be with you, shouldn't you be willing to do the same for her? And it's not difficult for you to move there. As long as you two get married while you're in Hong Kong, you will qualify for a dependent visa. This will allow you to work in Hong Kong and there's very little waiting time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.