38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

a lot of members of the forum are against lawyers. It's understandable, as we're reading the forum we see crucial lawyers ' mistakes all over. I did go for a lawyer (happy to share contacts) and couldn't be happier. If you choose the right one, with a great success record, you will not regret. My main reasons for doing that were saving time - both my fiance and I were working a lot and neither of us had hours per day to do research, collecting evidence was time-consuming enough already. My lawyer also sent me notices and copies of NOA's, and gave me detailed instructions on each step of the process, as well as helped along the way with inquiries and address change. I've successfully got my K-1 with no RFE, and they only asked me 2 basic questions on the interview after looking at my file.

The point is, if you're generally paranoid of making mistakes, or have no time to do tons of research and just need this delegated and off your plate, lawyers are the best way to go. I know people will disagree and there will be a lot of examples shown how lawyers get people into AP and RFE...but people do it themselves as well, and way more often than with lawyers. When you have questions or uncertain of how to do it on your own, finding answers online on forums and not going to the lawyer first, it's like googling your symptoms and not consulting a doctor.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
4 hours ago, natenoeyes said:

Thank you for all your replies. While I am aware that this is a DIY website (that’s why I’m posting!) I honestly initially thought that the K1 visa process would be made much easier and seamless with the help of a lawyer. Our concerns are mostly about the strategy needed - which documents are appropriate to provide, etc, - and also about details such as being able to travel to the US while the petition is being processed.

Again, thanks for all the input, all.

Personally I would not advice a lawyer. We did the process ourselves and it's not that hard. In the end you have to gather all the evidence yourself, the lawyer will only fill out the paperwork, and with the instructions on this website and the instructions that USCIS provides it's very manageable to do it yourself.

Also, I read a lot of stories on here that RFE's, NOA's etc go to the lawyer and they just don't inform the petitioner/applicant with the consequence that they get denied or have very little time to take the right action. 

If you have a straight forward case you can do it yourself. The only time I (and most of the people on here) would advise a lawyer is when you have a complicated case (criminal records etc) But in the end do whatever makes you feel most comfortable! :) 

Good luck with your journey! 

Edited by C90

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

Attorneys are a source of stress.  Try working for one.  Anytime he goes to court, I get no less than 20 texts for information.  When a client calls, I have to sit in his office, with the phone on speaker, and feed him answers.  

Haha, yes! I worked in lawyers office for 9 years and I can totally agree with this! I just recently made a consult with an immigration attorney, talked to her paralegal and filled him in on our k1 situation, sent in all my paperwork, and he assured me she could help.. plus she had good reviews. I call in and first off, she didn't realize the time and had to call me back when she was ready. She calls me back, still didn't have everything printed out so I was on hold. Then I explained my situation (My fiance has cautions on his record that I'm concerned about) and she then informs me she only practices US laws and not UK laws. She didn't even know what a caution was🙄. And after all that, she still charged me $100.00. I agree that the majority of the time, attorney's are a waste of time. (And not saying every single one is, just the majority)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Welcome, Nathan!

As you can see, the strong consensus is typically that lawyers are definitely unnecessary. If you have a straightforward case, no big red flags or other issues that you foresee possible complications with, you can absolutely do this process on your own. There have been many horror stories of people trusting in and relying on lawyers and being incorrectly advised, or something being missed/left out. It appears to be a whole other stress factor than you already have, or need.

I would highly suggest you and your mate review these forums as thoroughly as possible, particularly with respect to the visa option you select (which I believe you said will be K1). There are step by step, user-friendly guides on here for each specific visa, and just a plethora of user experiences, feedback, and super knowledgeable folks who are always willing to lend some experience-based advice. Then, with all of that in mind and in front of you, you both feel a lawyer is either necessary or worth the cost to you, by all means, seek that route. As many "horror stories" as there have been, there are plenty more that ended well with a lawyer involved. I would only suggest to do as much research on whatever lawyer you go with to do your best to make sure who you go with is well versed on your particular immigration visa process.

Good luck to you!

Edited by Paul & Mallory
Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, stacyt said:

a lot of members of the forum are against lawyers. It's understandable, as we're reading the forum we see crucial lawyers ' mistakes all over. I did go for a lawyer (happy to share contacts) and couldn't be happier. If you choose the right one, with a great success record, you will not regret. My main reasons for doing that were saving time - both my fiance and I were working a lot and neither of us had hours per day to do research, collecting evidence was time-consuming enough already. My lawyer also sent me notices and copies of NOA's, and gave me detailed instructions on each step of the process, as well as helped along the way with inquiries and address change. I've successfully got my K-1 with no RFE, and they only asked me 2 basic questions on the interview after looking at my file.

The point is, if you're generally paranoid of making mistakes, or have no time to do tons of research and just need this delegated and off your plate, lawyers are the best way to go. I know people will disagree and there will be a lot of examples shown how lawyers get people into AP and RFE...but people do it themselves as well, and way more often than with lawyers. When you have questions or uncertain of how to do it on your own, finding answers online on forums and not going to the lawyer first, it's like googling your symptoms and not consulting a doctor.

Firs time ever I see someone here saying they used a lawyer and were happy with the results, which is nice to hear since every time someone asks about lawyer in VJ they get the craziest responses ever. We used a lawyer too for a CR1, and wouldn't change that for the world.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JB209 said:

Firs time ever I see someone here saying they used a lawyer and were happy with the results, which is nice to hear since every time someone asks about lawyer in VJ they get the craziest responses ever. We used a lawyer too for a CR1, and wouldn't change that for the world.

I see all the time how people find lawyers to blame, especially with things mentioned in other posts above (RFE sent to a lawyer, the lawyer didn't notify on time etc)....

First, all the docs are sent to THE PETITIONER and a copy is sent to a lawyer. It's still your responsibility to check your mail....and online status...especially when you're waiting for important stuff. Also, people don't do enough research and hire any lawyer, then blame them for rejection...Come on. I would never hire my lawyer if I didn't have 3 friends working with her on very difficult cases involving courts etc, with a successful resolution. I googled and googled and read every last review about her out there. Usually, if a lawyer is known for making mistakes, it's easy to find out.

On the other hand, we see people making mistakes when filing on they own just as often or even more often than with lawyers' help. Except in that scenario, there is nobody to blame. Another big factor is doubting yourself...We see so many people posting every day of their wait, questioning their answers in an already sent petition, checking with other people if they put enough evidence, anticipating an RFE based on other forum members replies....a good lawyer can save you all those troubles and a bunch of nerve cells. My lawyer was literally estimating my evidence saying things like "you can either submit this package or collect this, this and this to ensure no RFE". And we sent our package when we were 100% confident that our case is strong, and it clearly played out well.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, natenoeyes said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get your input - I plan to follow my fiancee to the US, where she is currently working, through the K1 Visa (we've been in a relationship for 8 years, and she just left for the US a few days ago). We've been canvassing immigration lawyers and I'm wondering if it really is needed to hire one? Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Also, we've already had a consultation with Mike Templo of Templo & Templo Law Firm. Has anyone had experience hiring them as your lawyer? Thank you!

Regards,

Nathan

P.S. This is my first post on Visa Journey, so if I've violated anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks!

NO!

6 hours ago, natenoeyes said:

Thank you for all your replies. While I am aware that this is a DIY website (that’s why I’m posting!) I honestly initially thought that the K1 visa process would be made much easier and seamless with the help of a lawyer. Our concerns are mostly about the strategy needed - which documents are appropriate to provide, etc, - and also about details such as being able to travel to the US while the petition is being processed.

Again, thanks for all the input, all.

Contrary to popular belief, attorneys and services cannot make the process go faster, nor do they possess any special knowledge about K-1 immigration that is not widely available to the public.  Using an attorney does not change your "chance" of being approved, as the non-negotiable requirements at the petition level are very straightforward. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Contrary to popular belief, attorneys and services cannot make the process go faster, nor do they possess any special knowledge about K-1 immigration that is not widely available to the public.  Using an attorney does not change your "chance" of being approved, as the non-negotiable requirements at the petition level are very straightforward. 

Actually, I believe there is more specialized knowledge here on this site than most attorney's possess.  

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

Actually, I believe there is more specialized knowledge here on this site than most attorney's possess.  

Agreed!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Unless you think there is something that may mess up the application, such as prior unresolved marriage, criminal record, or support qualification issue, then I think you probably won't need an attorney. Just follow the advice and information that you can find on this website and the USCIS website.  I found that most immigration lawyers in the US deal with immigration problems that people have once they get into the US and not with K1 visa issues.  It seemed to me that they wanted to charge you for their time but you and your fiancee would still wind up doing most of the work assembling the necessary documents.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline
8 hours ago, natenoeyes said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get your input - I plan to follow my fiancee to the US, where she is currently working, through the K1 Visa (we've been in a relationship for 8 years, and she just left for the US a few days ago). We've been canvassing immigration lawyers and I'm wondering if it really is needed to hire one? Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Also, we've already had a consultation with Mike Templo of Templo & Templo Law Firm. Has anyone had experience hiring them as your lawyer? Thank you!

Regards,

Nathan

P.S. This is my first post on Visa Journey, so if I've violated anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks!

Hello,

I don't really think you need a laywer for this process. 

Do a lot of research, this website was for me and still is the most helpfull source ever, you get to read and learn from so many different situations and different backgrounds i'm quite sure you'll be able to learn from here.

Make sure you get everything in order before send your case, I was going nuts, reading and re-reading my I-129F and thank God everything worked out pretty well.

Plus it saves you a looooot, like a loooot of money!

Good luck 

"some beautiful paths can't be discovered without getting lost." 

2 hours ago, stacyt said:

I see all the time how people find lawyers to blame, especially with things mentioned in other posts above (RFE sent to a lawyer, the lawyer didn't notify on time etc)....

First, all the docs are sent to THE PETITIONER and a copy is sent to a lawyer. It's still your responsibility to check your mail....and online status...especially when you're waiting for important stuff. Also, people don't do enough research and hire any lawyer, then blame them for rejection...Come on. I would never hire my lawyer if I didn't have 3 friends working with her on very difficult cases involving courts etc, with a successful resolution. I googled and googled and read every last review about her out there. Usually, if a lawyer is known for making mistakes, it's easy to find out.

On the other hand, we see people making mistakes when filing on they own just as often or even more often than with lawyers' help. Except in that scenario, there is nobody to blame. Another big factor is doubting yourself...We see so many people posting every day of their wait, questioning their answers in an already sent petition, checking with other people if they put enough evidence, anticipating an RFE based on other forum members replies....a good lawyer can save you all those troubles and a bunch of nerve cells. My lawyer was literally estimating my evidence saying things like "you can either submit this package or collect this, this and this to ensure no RFE". And we sent our package when we were 100% confident that our case is strong, and it clearly played out well.

Good luck!

people say the same thing about companies that do these services too like RapidVisa. in the end it is only as bad as the information they are given to do your case. Mine was rather complicated so I used them, and i am quite happy, first pass and no RFE. very much worth it to me.

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Timeline

In short, I would put it this way.

Lawyer

pros:

• save time on research, package assembly and filling your forms
  • have evidence reviewed and evaluated prior to submission
  • eliminate chances to make errors when filling the form
  • have questions/concerns answered by a pro
  • have an additional person to stay on track of status updates and USCIS letters

cons:

• chances to get an underqualified or incompetent lawyer which will affect your case
  •  additional cost
  • potential delays at the initial stage due to an additional layer of bureaucracy 

No lawyer

pros:

• you're in control of filling the forms and including evidence
  • no delays at the initial stage, you control the timeline
  • no additional cost

cons:

• a possibility of misunderstanding the forms or instructions and therefore making mistakes in your package
  • the time-consuming process of research and proofreading your forms
  • a possibility of following bad advice from an online forum or blog

That's how I see it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.