U&N

Should I travel with my Fiance?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have been reading Port of Entry reviews, it seems that most folks go to pick up their loved one from their country and travel back with them. 

Do you guys recommend picking up your Fiance and traveling back with them? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 minutes ago, U&N said:

I have been reading Port of Entry reviews, it seems that most folks go to pick up their loved one from their country and travel back with them. 

Do you guys recommend picking up your Fiance and traveling back with them? 

It's not necessary to do so, not gonna speed up the process at POE.

My now husband picked me up at the airport here in the USA and I was fine, but if you guys feel better traveling together then sure you can.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

You can’t go to secondary with your spouse.  Unless they’re very nervous, there’s not much advantage to accompanying a spouse.

I net mine st POE and we spent the night having a relaxed dinner and catching a flight the next day home.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Not necessary,  but I did go to Nigeria to fly back to the U.S. with my husband..He has never flown before, so I wanted to make sure to be there so there wouldn't be any missed connecting flights or lost luggage...Not to mentioned I love going to Lagos and we wanted to tell his family and close friends bye together...We knew we wouldn't be visiting for at least another 2 years...So yes, not necessary at all..

Edited by OlayemiLoray

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Just now, U&N said:

I feel so new at this! Would you recommend ordering a ticket  online from USA, or having the Fiance buy his ticket from the originating country?

Our POE was Houston and That's because Houston is our home..What city do you reside? Going through POE was easy breezy for my husband...They were very professional and nice...I think you can choose your POE, but I would make sure it close to where you reside.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, U&N said:

Portland, Oregon.  I am really trying to avoid the hustle of the big airports like JFK and Miami.

Where are you in the K-1 process?  Visa in hand, in your fiance's passport?  Whatever you do, don't buy airline tickets until he has the visa in hand.  Many examples of people here on VJ who buy tickets in anticipation of a visa approval and they end up with delays or denial and a non-refundable ticket.

*~*~*moved from “K-1 fiancé visa progress reports” to “moving to the USA” - question about POE*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
8 hours ago, U&N said:

What point of entry would you guys recommend if my Fiance is flying alone? 

All POE's seem more or less the same. I did my POE in Dublin (best POE I've ever had! But obviously for Nigeria that's not really an option).

Best advice I can give is that if your fiancé has a layover, try to not have it in the US since it sometimes can take a while to get through CBP and (s)he doesn't wanna miss his/her connecting flight. If there's no other way, don't worry about it but make sure to allow at least 3 hours of layover time.

Timeline
8 hours ago, U&N said:

I feel so new at this! Would you recommend ordering a ticket  online from USA, or having the Fiance buy his ticket from the originating country?

Doesn't matter at all. You could check if there's a price difference booking from one country or another (I know tickets US-EU are sometimes cheaper to book from the EU then from the US and the other way around, imagine it's the same with Nigeria)

Edited by C90

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
13 hours ago, U&N said:

Portland, Oregon.  I am really trying to avoid the hustle of the big airports like JFK and Miami.

I came in though JFK and all was cool. No question was asked just routine checks. So no worries. 

My fiancé flew from NZ to Vancouver, and I picked him up and we went through POE together at Blaine, WA/Peace Arch.  Maybe because it is a land border rather than an airport, but we were never separated while the K-1 was processed.

Coming together on an international flight, you would be in separate lines even before secondary.  I'm not sure there is an advantage either way, to be honest.

You can read reviews of different ports of entry here at VJ.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.