killadocg23

Green Card has error. Can I still apply for jobs? (merged)

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Received my GC last week and noticed my residence since dates were wrong(Instead of resident since 2019, they put 2018). Was told I have to file an I-90 and send the Green card back with the application (frustrating I know). Before sending the actual card back, would I be able to apply for jobs with the card having the error. If I sent the card back could I use my EAD which is still valid to apply in place of my green card. Just want to know as I need/want to find employment ASAP and need to know what to do.

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
22 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

Hi all,

Received my GC last week and noticed my residence since dates were wrong(Instead of resident since 2019, they put 2018). Was told I have to file an I-90 and send the Green card back with the application (frustrating I know). Before sending the actual card back, would I be able to apply for jobs with the card having the error. If I sent the card back could I use my EAD which is still valid to apply in place of my green card. Just want to know as I need/want to find employment ASAP and need to know what to do.

Thanks

You can make an info pass appointment to get the I-551 stamp so you have proof you do have a Green Card. Idk if you can show that stamp for employers (I would say yes, since it's an official 'document', but USCIS will prob be able to tell you this). Usually your EAD gets voided the moment you get your Green Card, since it overrides it.

10 minutes ago, C90 said:

You can make an info pass appointment to get the I-551 stamp so you have proof you do have a Green Card. Idk if you can show that stamp for employers (I would say yes, since it's an official 'document', but USCIS will prob be able to tell you this). Usually your EAD gets voided the moment you get your Green Card, since it overrides it.

I cant get the I-551 stamp until I file the I-90. I was wondering would I be able to apply for jobs and produce this current green card before I send it off.

59 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

I cant get the I-551 stamp until I file the I-90. I was wondering would I be able to apply for jobs and produce this current green card before I send it off.

Who told you that you can't get 1551 stamp while filing 190? 

3 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

I cant get the stamp until AFTER i file the I-90 and get a receipt notice.

That's not true. A USCIS rep told me I can get a stamp while having the card with error. And when I return from my travel I should send my card back. 

9 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

That's not true. A USCIS rep told me I can get a stamp while having the card with error. And when I return from my travel I should send my card back. 

Really, well I talked to Several Immigration officers and customer service representatives and they told me I cannot get a stamp until I file the I-90 and have the receipt notice. They wouldnt even give me an info pass appointment when I asked If I could carry the green card with error to the local office and get a stamp. All of them said no.

6 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

Really, well I talked to Several Immigration officers and customer service representatives and they told me I cannot get a stamp until I file the I-90 and have the receipt notice. They wouldnt even give me an info pass appointment when I asked If I could carry the green card with error to the local office and get a stamp. All of them said no.

Interesting.  I am calling them again now. But basically you can schedule info pass appointment with no restrictions. Is there a reason or question on why do you want info pass appointment?  I read from a commenter here he has got 2 stamps while he has his GC with him still. 

10 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

Interesting.  I am calling them again now. But basically you can schedule info pass appointment with no restrictions. Is there a reason or question on why do you want info pass appointment?  I read from a commenter here he has got 2 stamps while he has his GC with him still. 

let me know what they say

My green card has a typographical error(Wrong residence since). Was sending it back to USICS this week. Does anybody know or have real world experience if I can use my EAD to apply for jobs or could I even use my current card to appy for jobs before I send it back?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
29 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

My green card has a typographical error(Wrong residence since). Was sending it back to USICS this week. Does anybody know or have real world experience if I can use my EAD to apply for jobs or could I even use my current card to appy for jobs before I send it back?

Thanks

Try to schedule an info pass appointment to your local USCIS field office so they can stamp your passport with a temporary I-551 stamp so you can use this for travel and employment purposes. Be sure to take with your proof of an I-90 filed as well for a replacement green card.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

31 minutes ago, ch3john said:

Do you have a driver license and unrestricted social security card? 

I have a drivers license but my social is still restricted. The day I received my GC, I went to the Social security office to remove the restrictions. The lady at the office told me that she had to send my documents off to DHS to verify them because she couldnt verify my GC right there and then, said it could take up to 4 weeks. It wasnt until after a few days later that I realized my GC had an error. 

31 minutes ago, Starkilla09 said:

Try to schedule an info pass appointment to your local USCIS field office so they can stamp your passport with a temporary I-551 stamp so you can use this for travel and employment purposes. Be sure to take with your proof of an I-90 filed as well for a replacement green card.

I will do this as soon as I file the I-90 and receive the receipts.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.