Jump to content
Amr8

Writ of mandamus from a country under Travel ban

23 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

 

I am a Syrian applicant, my case has been under AP for 8 months now.

I contact the embassy on monthly basis and all I get is a automatic response with the same words every time.

I am thinking of filing a lawsuit but I am scared from the outcome,

I have heard of some cases getting approved after filing a lawsuit (Iranian citizens). Does anyone have a background about this??

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can try but trying to sue an embassy for doing what they are supposed to be doing is kind of hard to do. Usually if pressed your case will end up just being denied and it's done with. AP is open ended. Some people spend 1-2 years in AP doing background/security checks and trying to get their information verified, and these are people not even on the "travel ban" list. Plus, suing over a "travel ban" that the US supreme court upheld as lawful, pretty tough to do, but definitely can spend the money to try, a lot of lawyers would love to get paid a ton for something they know they won't win.


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gif     giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

You can try but trying to sue an embassy for doing what they are supposed to be doing is kind of hard to do. Usually if pressed your case will end up just being denied and it's done with. AP is open ended. Some people spend 1-2 years in AP doing background/security checks and trying to get their information verified, and these are people not even on the "travel ban" list. Plus, suing over a "travel ban" that the US supreme court upheld as lawful, pretty tough to do, but definitely can spend the money to try, a lot of lawyers would love to get paid a ton for something they know they won't win.

My case is under AP, I was told by the embassy it would take 4 months. I even saw cases from travel ban countries getting a visa after 4 months.

I just don't understand why 8 months are not enough to finish a God damn case!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again some people sit for 1-2 years. In reality, the travel ban has had 1 or 2 countries removed because those countries did the necessary things asked for in sense of records and improving their security measures. Hardest thing for the US is verifying records and information from certain countries about people because they have no system or won't release the information. Hence, people sit in AP for a long long time. 


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gif     giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one can tell you how long AP will last, not even the embassy. Any time periods told to you are simply guesses.

 

I can't imagine a WoM would work out for you in the current political climate, but if you want to try I would certainly consult with a lawyer experienced in such actions first and see what they say before deciding to proceed. It won't be cheap.


Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

 

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

 

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can try the lawsuit if you desire. Note that the lawsuit only forces the embassy to make a decision; it DOESN'T force them to approve your visa. Therefore, it can go in your favor or go against you; it's a risk so you should think hard before pursuing it.

Also, I have heard cases where it has taken the embassy more a year for their visas to be issued. All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to General Immigration-Related Discussion.


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:06 AM, Amr8 said:

My case is under AP, I was told by the embassy it would take 4 months. I even saw cases from travel ban countries getting a visa after 4 months.

I just don't understand why 8 months are not enough to finish a God damn case!! 

Why? Because there are thousands upon thousands of cases being reviewed just like yours. I understand it's frustrating, but the average wait time can sometimes be upwards of 1-2 years, even for people not from countries on the travel ban list. No one can tell you for sure how long a case will take under AP, not even the embassy - any advise given to that effect is merely an estimate or opinion, unfortunately.

 

As others have said, you can certainly move forward with what you are considering, but I would consider it a last resort, if it were me, as it does come with its own risks.

 

Hang in there.


Håll ut, y'all.

 

               K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

                                    [passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

 

 

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Why? Because there are thousands upon thousands of cases being reviewed just like yours. I understand it's frustrating, but the average wait time can sometimes be upwards of 1-2 years, even for people not from countries on the travel ban list. No one can tell you for sure how long a case will take under AP, not even the embassy - any advise given to that effect is merely an estimate or opinion, unfortunately.

 

As others have said, you can certainly move forward with what you are considering, but I would consider it a last resort, if it were me, as it does come with its own risks.

 

Hang in there.

For cases from countries that are not under the ban, they do not automatically go under AP. A lot of cases get approved right after the interview and a few go under AP for some several reasons(and sometimes for no reason). So I do not think it is a completely bad idea to think about this option; but you are right, there are risks that come with it due to the unclarity and due to the fact that noone has followed this route(as far as I know)! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Muhammadsheikhale said:

For cases from countries that are not under the ban, they do not automatically go under AP. A lot of cases get approved right after the interview and a few go under AP for some several reasons(and sometimes for no reason). So I do not think it is a completely bad idea to think about this option; but you are right, there are risks that come with it due to the unclarity and due to the fact that noone has followed this route(as far as I know)! 

Didn't say it was a bad idea, just that there are risks I feel are worth considering. :) 


Håll ut, y'all.

 

               K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

                                    [passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

 

 

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 3:49 AM, Amr8 said:

Hello everyone,

 

I am a Syrian applicant, my case has been under AP for 8 months now.

I contact the embassy on monthly basis and all I get is a automatic response with the same words every time.

I am thinking of filing a lawsuit but I am scared from the outcome,

I have heard of some cases getting approved after filing a lawsuit (Iranian citizens). Does anyone have a background about this??

 

Thank you

Hi,

 

I read a lot of misinformation about your question so felt obligated to comment. I spoke to 6 attorneys who have done this and recommend it. And many who have not done it, and admitted they don't know enough to comment.

 

1- Writ of mandamus CAN be filed for abnormal admin processing delays. Abnormal > 6 months. It does NOT matter if it is usual (frequent among applicants), it is simply in an absolute sense too long.

2- They will NOT reject you if they are not done with SAO. They HAVE TO expedite it.

3- They cannot reject you for arbitrary reasons.

4- Even if you are rejected, consular non-reviewability is BS and really does not apply to family-based immigrant visas.

 

I hope you have filed and have your visa at hand. I'm filing soon.


Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pooch1986 said:

Hi,

 

I read a lot of misinformation about your question so felt obligated to comment. I spoke to 6 attorneys who have done this and recommend it. And many who have not done it, and admitted they don't know enough to comment.

 

1- Writ of mandamus CAN be filed for abnormal admin processing delays. Abnormal > 6 months. It does NOT matter if it is usual (frequent among applicants), it is simply in an absolute sense too long.

2- They will NOT reject you if they are not done with SAO. They HAVE TO expedite it.

3- They cannot reject you for arbitrary reasons.

4- Even if you are rejected, consular non-reviewability is BS and really does not apply to family-based immigrant visas.

 

I hope you have filed and have your visa at hand. I'm filing soon.


Cheers

The attorneys you talked to worked cases from countries included in the travel ban? 

 

are you or your spouse from one of the seven countries in the travel ban? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Muhammad&Mansory said:

The attorneys you talked to worked cases from countries included in the travel ban? 

 

are you or your spouse from one of the seven countries in the travel ban? 

Yep! Yemen, Syria, Iran, etc.

They all admit on paper the travel ban can be used as a ground of inadmissibility to deny a case, but it did not happen to their clients. I am from a country on the list. 9 months in ap and counting. Filing writ soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pooch1986 said:

Hi,

 

I read a lot of misinformation about your question so felt obligated to comment. I spoke to 6 attorneys who have done this and recommend it. And many who have not done it, and admitted they don't know enough to comment.

 

1- Writ of mandamus CAN be filed for abnormal admin processing delays. Abnormal > 6 months. It does NOT matter if it is usual (frequent among applicants), it is simply in an absolute sense too long.

2- They will NOT reject you if they are not done with SAO. They HAVE TO expedite it.

3- They cannot reject you for arbitrary reasons.

4- Even if you are rejected, consular non-reviewability is BS and really does not apply to family-based immigrant visas.

 

I hope you have filed and have your visa at hand. I'm filing soon.


Cheers

We do see very few WoM's  that have been successful, sadly many Lawyers seem more interested in their fees, would I know be helpful to others if you could provide details of your case.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...