ezzy

Tourist Visa valid and thinking of Petitioning

34 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Leaving family behind is the choice we all make when we immigrate.

And it’s not always the case that everyone wants to immigrate with us even when we reach the stage that we can sponsor family members. Especially parents - some parents are very eager to rejoin their child and do so as soon as they can , others find the thought of being uprooted from what they’ve known their entire lives to be put in an alien culture with an alien language where they may not know anyone other than their child, a highly disruptive and traumatic experience.

incidentally, immigration is a privilege, not a right.

I had forgotten about that phrase. :D 

Our Relationship

10/11/2010 - We met at a community gathering, he'd tagged along his host parents(who happened to be my Aunt and Uncle) for community immersion.

11/18/2010 - officially became a couple

08/08/2011 - he asked....and i said, "You're not serious, are you?" :oops: :luv: YES!

12/2011 - travelled to the US of A to meet his family

11/16/2012 - Wedding day!!

Our Visa Journey

01/08/2013 - filed I-130 at the Embassy, Manila.

01/25/2013 - RFE - online submission

02/05/2013 - case approved (informed via email)

02/xx/2013 - received hard copy of approval and instructions

03/xx/2013 - mailed DS230 and DS2011 to IV Unit, US Embassy, Manila

05/15-16/2013 - Medical and Vaccination (2nd day)

05/21/2013 - INTERVIEW DATE! APPROVED!!!

05/26/2013 - Passport with Visa on Hand

• All aboard! 06/11/2013 - Left from Hongkong - Japan - SFO (POE) - PDX and  😍REUNITED AT LAST! 😍

2 YEARS LATER......

04/04/2015 - I-1751 sent to CSC

04/06/2015 - NOA receipt date

04/10/2015 - received NOA in the mail

05/04/2015 - biometrics

07/18/2015 - Application to remove conditions APPROVED!

08/05/2015 - 10 Year Green Card in hand

Naturalization Journey

08/06/2018 - N400 Online Application

08/30/2018 - Biometrics

10/17/2018 - Interview - APPROVED!

11/13/2018 - Oath Ceremony - I AM A US CITIZEN!

event.png

Oh also, back to part of the original question re: your siblings. I was previously in one of those long-term petitions (F3 beneficiary in my case), traveled fairly regularly for both business and vacation to the US and got B1/B2 renewed while waiting too. As long as your siblings can satisfy CBP /the embassy that they would be returning home after any short term trips, they should be ok visiting and renewing visas while they wait the two-plus decades for their F4 priority date to become current. Obviously the key factor here is showing strong ties to home.

13 hours ago, ezzy said:

Lol. This seems like an attack. But rather than be triggered, I would agree. This was a choice. And, to be honest, saying that it's lonely to not have family around is a normal feeling. And I also share this feeling with his family.

That being said, I do have a choice and a right to reunite myself and my husband with all the family I could get. Thanks for your input, though. :)

No one on VJ attacks.. we all advise.. based on information in your posts. 

And as noted above, immigration is a privilege and not a right. We all chose to immigrate and should accept the burdens that come along with migration, ie leaving some family behind. The US does have some of the most liberal immigration laws of any in the world. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
20 hours ago, ezzy said:

I am also curious if anyone has had experience with being the petitioner/recipient of IR visa while also holding a valid tourist visa and was able to visit the US with active petition. Thanks for your input!! :)

I might be looking at this situation come November. I have petitioned for a new green card for my wife of 30+ years. If her resident visa is not received before then, we want to visit the USA and will be looking for a tourist visa for her.I have read that we will need proof of economic obligations here - plus a clean police record and financial situation - and I remember the Immigration form requires an agreement that she will not be seeking permanent residency (I assume during the short visit). On paper, everything looks okay for a visit on a tourist visa while the I-130 is in progress. The reality depends on the POE officers.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, ezzy said:

That's a long time....🤮

I had thought it was around 15~

On 2/18/2019 at 2:00 PM, Boiler said:

Those getting to their visa's now have waited over 20 years and the line gets longer.

I had a coworker at my last job who brought all 3 of her sisters here from Pinas and it took over 18-19 years for each of them. 15 years is wishful thinking at best for bringing sister/brothers from the Philippines. 

Edit. It was funny because when she brought the last sister over here in 2016, the sister brought her 17 year old son as well. They got a letter in the mail about signing up for Selective Service and pretty much freaked out over it. So my coworker brought it to my attention the next day and asking about it. She didn't know anything about it because she had a daughter, so I had to explain it all to them. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
17 hours ago, ezzy said:

I had forgotten about that phrase. :D 

Hey Ezzy one thing to consider if you haven't I know you say it's no big rush you are more incline to see each other annually. But I would do this petition your parents they will be here in 2 to 3 months You could start now and upgrade once you are citizen at least get it filed. Once they are here then the parents can petition your sister. As green card holders it will take about 2 to 3 years. Sure beats the 20 to 30 years by far.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

12 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Hey Ezzy one thing to consider if you haven't I know you say it's no big rush you are more incline to see each other annually. But I would do this petition your parents they will be here in 2 to 3 months You could start now and upgrade once you are citizen at least get it filed. Once they are here then the parents can petition your sister. As green card holders it will take about 2 to 3 years. Sure beats the 20 to 30 years by far.

Huh?

1) Where does 2-3 months come from? It's taking a year or longer for any IR-based petition to interview.

2) If the sister is age 21 or over, then it's at least another 12 years on top of that for F2B from PI....likely longer. Even if the parents became USCs, F1 from PI is just about as long of a wait as F2B there. Also the sister would need to remain unmarried (or wait just about as long as F4 is then marry, but it would have to be only after the parents naturalize).

3) One can only file the I-130 for a parent once they are a citizen..you cannot "upgrade' later because there is no basis to petition a parent prior to being a USC (nothing to upgrade from).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You beat me to it!

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Huh?

1) Where does 2-3 months come from? It's taking a year or longer for any IR-based petition to interview.

2) If the sister is age 21 or over, then it's at least another 12 years on top of that for F2B from PI....likely longer. Even if the parents became USCs, F1 from PI is just about as long of a wait as F2B there. Also the sister would need to remain unmarried (or wait just about as long as F4 is they marry, but it would have to be only after the parents naturalize).

3) One can only file the I-130 for a parent once they are a citizen..you cannot "upgrade' later because there is no basis to petition a parent prior to being a USC (nothing to upgrade from).

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

+

People should understand the immigration journey before they begin it.  They generally do and undertake the challenges eagerly, but then some start to whine because it is not to their liking even though they knew the limitations from the start.  I am tired of complaints and whines when there is nothing unusual or unexpected.  I have far more reason to complain than most of you, but I accept the process and limitations and go on.

So either smile and approach the process with anticipation knowing there will be bumps in the road or don't waste the time of immigration official;s and take visa slots from people who want to come so much that they will endure and deal with the unexpected. QYB

3 hours ago, James D said:

we want to visit the USA and will be looking for a tourist visa for her

If she already has a tourist visa then it is not an issue.  But for a non VWP country it is extremely hard to get a B1/B2 once a I-130 is filed.  For $160 you can find out. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
5 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

If she already has a tourist visa then it is not an issue.  But for a non VWP country it is extremely hard to get a B1/B2 once a I-130 is filed.  For $160 you can find out. 

We are pretty much expecting the resident visa interview to happen before November (I-130 filed in October, 2018) but if it doesn't happen $160 (visa fee) will be less than the air fare to visit the nearest consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, James D said:

We are pretty much expecting the resident visa interview to happen before November (I-130 filed in October, 2018) but if it doesn't happen $160 (visa fee) will be less than the air fare to visit the nearest consulate.

I'm confused.  You need to pay the $160 fee AND visit the consulate for the tourist visa interview, right?

Timeline
14 hours ago, Ate said:

I'm confused.  You need to pay the $160 fee AND visit the consulate for the tourist visa interview, right?

$160 is the fee  that you must pay before the interview for a tourist visa - applies also to student visa, business visa, exchange students.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, dwheels76 said:

But I would do this petition your parents they will be here in 2 to 3 months

This is incorrect.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, James D said:

$160 is the fee  that you must pay before the interview for a tourist visa - applies also to student visa, business visa, exchange students.

Yes, I understand that.  But you still have to go to the consulate for the interview.  So, you wouldn't really save on airfare, right?

20 hours ago, James D said:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.