thinblueline

Sponsoring Sister (F4) Questions

28 posts in this topic

As others said, this isn't a fast process.

The priority date for current F4's to be able to file the I-485 is June 22, 2006, that means those who filed the I-130 on or before June 22, 2006 can try for the green card. https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/visa-availability-priority-dates/when-file-your-adjustment-status-application-family-sponsored-or-employment-based-preference-visas-march-2019

She's looking at at least a decade of waiting.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

12 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

As others said, this isn't a fast process.

The priority date for current F4's to be able to file the I-485 is June 22, 2006, that means those who filed the I-130 on or before June 22, 2006 can try for the green card. https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/visa-availability-priority-dates/when-file-your-adjustment-status-application-family-sponsored-or-employment-based-preference-visas-march-2019

She's looking at at least a decade of waiting.

That’s only being able to file documents. No one can get a visa until their priority date is current, and for March, for F4 that means cases from September 2005 and earlier https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-march-2019.html

also OP is unlikely to have a basis to file i485 so in this case the eventual filing date is likely to just be applicable to submitting documents for consular processing. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

That’s only being able to file documents. No one can get a visa until their priority date is current, and for March, for F4 that means cases from September 2005 and earlier https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-march-2019.html

Ahh okay! I misread it I guess, but yes that's still pretty much it. This isn't like a marriage visa where it's a bit quicker, this is a big long wait with a bit more of a process.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Other Timeline

The timeframe given assumes she is not born in one of the countries that has an even longer wait.

I wish people would stop suggesting people hook up with an American in order to speed up immigration.  Many Americans are not aware of the benefit to the person desiring to immigrate and take a person's interest as sincere.  Americans deserve better that being used as a means to get to the US.

4 hours ago, Ash.1101 said:

Ahh okay! I misread it I guess, but yes that's still pretty much it. This isn't like a marriage visa where it's a bit quicker, this is a big long wait with a bit more of a process.

The process is actually much simpler, but the wait is very much longer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for all the replies, whatever she decides to do will be up to her, and I am only offering my assistance in sponsoring her (since she asked me).

Thank you to all for clarifying about the B2/ I-485 scenario, and informing me that is not a viable option-- this was something I did not realize (was simply exploring options).

Since the process is long (15 years or so)--- and should she decide to go with my sponsorship, I guess would she would notify USICS with any address changes, or changes in marital status?

Not that I'm condoning her to seek out a USC, as she currently has a Canadian BF, and they have been together for several years (I was unsure if she should marry him and that would affect her sponsorship-- no plans for marriage now-- but this is a long process), I guess she could always abandon her (my) petition should her situation change (and be out the filing fee).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Filing is up to you, really nothing else happens for a very long time, nothing she has to do, marriage etc becomes relevant when her wait is up. Not relevant whilst waiting.

So file and forget and when it comes up worry about it then.,

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Oh good lord.. jokes people, jokes.   Thus the L O L.  😏

Yes it would be faster but also completely inappropriate to introduce her sister to an American friend so her sister could immigrate faster.  Durr...  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

From my personal experience, the fastest way to get your sister to the US is to bring your parents to the US first. One of your parents can file for F2B petition to bring her once they have the green card. It will take about 7 years for your sister to come if it is filed under F2b category ( if she remains single the whole time). It will be better than  waiting for14-15 years under F4 category for siblings. Another way is to come to the US to study and then find an employer who is willing to sponsor her. 

TimeLine

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2007-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) : none

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-30

NVC Received : 2007-11-05

NVC Left : 2007-11-06

Consulate Received : 2007-11-09

Packet 3 Received : 2007-11-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-11-23

Packet 4 Received : 2007-12-16

Medical Taken : 2008-01-03

Medical Passed : 2008-01-04

Interview Date : 2008-01-11

Interview Passed : 2008-01-11

Visa Issue : January 18th 2008

USA ENTRY : January 23rd 2008

POE Entry : Seattle Washington

Wedding : February 9th 2008

Social Security Card Received: February 19th 2008

Civil Surgeon I693 signed : April 14th Vaccinations Complete.

AOS: Sent on April 15th 2008 USPS Confirmed . April 17th 4:56 Am

AOS: Hard Copy Received NOA1 April 22nd all 3 arrived same day.

Biometrics : Received Appointment Letter Today April 27th = May 23rd 2008 10 am appointment

Transfered CSC June 4th

EAD: Approved June 13th 2008

EAD: Recieved Card June 18th 2008

AP: Approved June 13th 2008

AP: Received June 18th 2008

AOS:touched :Card ordered July 26th

Approval: AOS : Aug 4th

Green Card :Received : Aug 5th with Welcome Letter . 2 years Dated July 26th

Thank You USCIS

Thank You Visa Journey...........................

Timeline

No suggestion OP's parents are interested in moving.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, Boiler said:

No suggestion OP's parents are interested in moving.

Although my parents have expressed interest in vacationing in the US during the winter (they are retired), and considering maybe one day purchasing a vacation property in the USA, I doubt they are interested in becoming PRs due to them having established lives in Canada, Canadian tax-free retirement accounts (not recognized by the IRS), Provincial and private health insurance (which is not as great as everyone not from Canada thinks it is), etc.

I also don't think they could be PRs since they'd most likely live the majority of the time in Canada.

Should they change their minds and decide to move here, then I would sponsor them for PR. Only reason I didn't mention them previously, is my sister is the only one who expressed interest in moving to the USA (and is still young enough [but over 21] to start a new life).

Edited by thinblueline

Timeline

Well she would be middle aged before she could move.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.