Mr Trav

cosponsor hurt or help?

8 posts in this topic

Hello

I work as a teacher and I will be changing jobs and homes this year. My current job ends June 30 on paper and if all goes well I should be gainfully employed on or about Aug 1 this year in my new district. However, I do not yet have the new job and I will not be employed for 1 month or possibly more. I asked my mother to cosponser for my wife's spousal visa (IR). My mother has a nursing job and gets social security. Total income about 30k a year. Will having her as a cosponser as opposed to using my income HURT me as far as getting approval?

1 hour ago, aleful said:

hi

no, a lot of people have joint sponsors, it is common

Thanks! Does immigration take both my income and my sponsor into account or just the sponsor? Also, their social security is an ok source?

5 minutes ago, teachertrav said:

Thanks! Does immigration take both my income and my sponsor into account or just the sponsor? Also, their social security is an ok source?

Both. 

Yes

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
11 hours ago, teachertrav said:

Hello

I work as a teacher and I will be changing jobs and homes this year. My current job ends June 30 on paper and if all goes well I should be gainfully employed on or about Aug 1 this year in my new district. However, I do not yet have the new job and I will not be employed for 1 month or possibly more. I asked my mother to cosponser for my wife's spousal visa (IR). My mother has a nursing job and gets social security. Total income about 30k a year. Will having her as a cosponser as opposed to using my income HURT me as far as getting approval?

Sometimes we ask the wrong question.  When we get the answer, we still don't have the information we need.

First, YOU as the petitioner are always the primary sponsor.  If, at the time the affidavit of support is submitted, you DO qualify as sponsor based on YOUR current income, a "joint sponsor" will not be accepted.  There is no "cosponsor".  Only if you are actually submitting your affidavit DURING your temporary unemployment, would this become an issue.

Start by carefully studying the I-864EZ instructions.  Chances are, as an employed teacher, you can use that form.  If not, study the instructions for the I-864a.  Don't complete the form or actually follow the instructions until it is time to do so.  When you do, complete it based on the information that is applicable on THAT date.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

51 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Sometimes we ask the wrong question.  When we get the answer, we still don't have the information we need.

First, YOU as the petitioner are always the primary sponsor.  If, at the time the affidavit of support is submitted, you DO qualify as sponsor based on YOUR current income, a "joint sponsor" will not be accepted.  There is no "cosponsor".  Only if you are actually submitting your affidavit DURING your temporary unemployment, would this become an issue.

Start by carefully studying the I-864EZ instructions.  Chances are, as an employed teacher, you can use that form.  If not, study the instructions for the I-864a.  Don't complete the form or actually follow the instructions until it is time to do so.  When you do, complete it based on the information that is applicable on THAT date.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you. Essentially, if I were employed on June 4 and send the documents on that date and then became temporarily unemployed on June 10 it would be valid? 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
30 minutes ago, teachertrav said:

That makes a lot of sense, thank you. Essentially, if I were employed on June 4 and send the documents on that date and then became temporarily unemployed on June 10 it would be valid? 

Correct

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.