Real77

NEW FIANCE VISA APPLICATION

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good day All,

Please I need your advice.

My Fiance requested for our petition status via email to NVC and received a response from them stating that our application has been sent to Lagos. They also stated all required details and asked us to contact Lagos Consular Office to request for status of our K1 Petition. We acted as advised but we are yet to receive a response from them after 7 working days.

In order to beat the time, we have filled and submitted our DS-160 form and also paid. Though we have not received any mail or notification from the US Consular office Lagos that they have received our petition and scheduled us for interview. Neither have they mailed the Instruction package, packet 3 or 4 to us. My questions are:

1) Can I go ahead for my medicals and police certificate or we should wait till we receive instruction package from US Consular office Lagos?

2) With this notice "...K visa applicants should not schedule their appointment until after they have received an Instruction package from the Consulate...." on their website, can we still go ahead to book appointment since we have access to schedule interview date before all the dates are occupied? We can book a date in 2 week with the hope that our medicals will be ready by then?

Thank you for your kind response.

Timeline

We are in a similar situation. We went ahead and filled out the Ds-160, payed the fee, and booked our interview. I would suggest waiting until you book your interview to do the medical exam and police report. 

This forum really helped us out a lot in terms of how we timed when to do what.

Edited by MeeklyGee

Timeline
2 hours ago, t4k said:

Good day All,

My Fiance requested for our petition status via email to NVC and received a response from them stating that our application has been sent to Lagos. They also stated all required details and asked us to contact Lagos Consular Office to request for status of our K1 Petition. We acted as advised but we are yet to receive a response from them after 7 working days.

In order to beat the time, we have filled and submitted our DS-160 form and also paid. Though we have not received any mail or notification from the US Consular office Lagos that they have received our petition and scheduled us for interview. Neither have they mailed the Instruction package, packet 3 or 4 to us. My questions are:

1) Can I go ahead for my medicals and police certificate or we should wait till we receive instruction package from US Consular office Lagos?

2) With this notice "...K visa applicants should not schedule their appointment until after they have received an Instruction package from the Consulate...." on their website, can we still go ahead to book appointment since we have access to schedule interview date before all the dates are occupied? We can book a date in 2 week with the hope that our medicals will be ready by then?

From my personal experiences of receiving mails from the U.S I was able to understand the timing of packages sent from the NVC and when it gets to the Consulate in Naija.

the cases are atimes sent through speed post(very likely DHL) and that takes about 2-7 days. so if you are fortunate and ur case is sent through that means your case gets to the embassy within a week.

Atimes it is sent as priority mail through (USPS) and that takes around two to three weeks to send a package from U.S to Naija. so if that is your case you should expect your case to take some weeks but less than a month.

So with that in mind, you can schedule ur appointment,do your medicals, police certificate, etc and wait for the thing to get to the embassy.

But if you are the type that panic a lot u can wait till your case gets to the embassy before you start those processes.

Timeline
On 2/14/2019 at 7:59 PM, MeeklyGee said:

We are in a similar situation. We went ahead and filled out the Ds-160, payed the fee, and booked our interview. I would suggest waiting until you book your interview to do the medical exam and police report. 

This forum really helped us out a lot in terms of how we timed when to do what.

Very informative. Appreciate you sharing this. 

Timeline
On 2/14/2019 at 8:58 PM, Nwoke said:

From my personal experiences of receiving mails from the U.S I was able to understand the timing of packages sent from the NVC and when it gets to the Consulate in Naija.

the cases are atimes sent through speed post(very likely DHL) and that takes about 2-7 days. so if you are fortunate and ur case is sent through that means your case gets to the embassy within a week.

Atimes it is sent as priority mail through (USPS) and that takes around two to three weeks to send a package from U.S to Naija. so if that is your case you should expect your case to take some weeks but less than a month.

So with that in mind, you can schedule ur appointment,do your medicals, police certificate, etc and wait for the thing to get to the embassy.

But if you are the type that panic a lot u can wait till your case gets to the embassy before you start those processes.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 2/14/2019 at 12:32 PM, Favour08 said:

Good day All,

My fiance and I were in a similar situation. We did everything (set up the account on UStraveldocs,  Paid the fee, filed the DS160 making sure that he signed in from Nigeria to electronically sign the application) except the police certificate and medical exam because we were afraid to waste the trip to Lagos until we had the packet from the Embassy. And we did notice the email direction not to set the appt until we received the packet. So we emailed the Embassy several times. We emailed lagosiv@state.gov several times for different reasons and we also called. You get better results by calling and sometimes calling to speak with different people help! (See more on that below)  I found that if you choose the prompts as if you want to set an appt with a live person you get to the service desk. Otherwise there's a loop of redirection voicemails to email them or go to FAQs online. The email response you initially get is a template response but they will eventually send a specific response.... Eventually.... (Insert frustrated face). Our case had been ready since January 10th but we did not receive the packet via email until Feb 12th after several emails with no response until Feb 12th.

I checked the site one day (before Feb 12th) and saw that appts we're available!!! By the time I saw this only mid April dates were available. I took the first date. We still had not received the packet!!! And when I called requesting the packet I was told our interview date would not go forward bc we set it before receiving the packet !!! He told me that the Embassy would turn my fiance away on that date. Ugh!!! I was so upset. A few days later, I received the packet via email on Feb 12th. I called again to schedule an interview, and was told, by a different rep, that our interview date WAS actually valid, and not to worry that it will hold!! So call as many times as you need to get the information bc it's frustrating  one rep will know what she's talking about while the other will not!! As long as the ceac site haa the appt noted on your dashboard it will hold.

The issue now is that we want to see if we can get an earlier date bc our I-129f expires 7 days prior to the interview and their email to us specifically stated to make sure we get a date prior to that expiration date!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.