Hemutian

communication records — format and language

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello, This is my first time (but surely not last) posting here as I'm just at the beginning of the process.

I am getting ready to file the I-129F to sponsor my Chinese fiancee so she can get her K-1 visa.

I'm currently preparing the evidence of our correspondence during the last 2 years, but I have a question about the format and language that I should use when I attach it to my application.

My fiancee and I have no phone records or email records, either. Instead, all of our correspondence has been through the (Chinese) WeChat online chat app.

It is impossible to export chat records from WeChat to Microsoft Word or another text-based application. Is it okay if I simply take screenshots of our chats within the app on my phone?

Also, nearly all of our chat records are in Chinese (I speak and write Chinese fluently). Do I need to provide English translations of our chat records for application, or can I just submit the original Chinese versions and assume that that is evidence enough?

Thank you

55 minutes ago, Hemutian said:

Hello, This is my first time (but surely not last) posting here as I'm just at the beginning of the process.

I am getting ready to file the I-129F to sponsor my Chinese fiancee so she can get her K-1 visa.

I'm currently preparing the evidence of our correspondence during the last 2 years, but I have a question about the format and language that I should use when I attach it to my application.

My fiancee and I have no phone records or email records, either. Instead, all of our correspondence has been through the (Chinese) WeChat online chat app.

It is impossible to export chat records from WeChat to Microsoft Word or another text-based application. Is it okay if I simply take screenshots of our chats within the app on my phone?

Also, nearly all of our chat records are in Chinese (I speak and write Chinese fluently). Do I need to provide English translations of our chat records for application, or can I just submit the original Chinese versions and assume that that is evidence enough?

Thank you

Honestly chat records are secondary evidence at best and if you have to go to these great lengths to translate them then I would not worry about it at all. Concentrate on the physical evidence of your relationship together such as photos, tickets, itineraries of time spent together.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Phone screenshots from app are absolutely fine. But I assume, they will need english translation. 

As mentioned above, photos together, plane tickets to see each other along with chat conversations are great. Make sure you write a short description with date, place and names to each of those to make it clear.

1 hour ago, Hemutian said:

Screenshots are ok, but go light on them. Just pick few representation, maybe no more than 6-8, spread out from the beginning of the relationship until now. No one want to read 200 pages of your romantic encounters. You can translate them, you have to sign a statement saying you're fluent in both languages and are competent to translate. 

As the other poster mentioned, screenshots should not be your main evidence. Your main evidence is time spent physically together, vacation together, hotels, travel details, .... 

Timeline
58 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Honestly chat records are secondary evidence at best and if you have to go to these great lengths to translate them then I would not worry about it at all. Concentrate on the physical evidence of your relationship together such as photos, tickets, itineraries of time spent together.  

Thanks for this advice. We do have physical evidence as well, so I'll prioritize that over the chat transcripts.

25 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Screenshots are ok, but go light on them. Just pick few representation, maybe no more than 6-8, spread out from the beginning of the relationship until now. No one want to read 200 pages of your romantic encounters. You can translate them, you have to sign a statement saying you're fluent in both languages and are competent to translate. 

As the other poster mentioned, screenshots should not be your main evidence. Your main evidence is time spent physically together, vacation together, hotels, travel details, .... 

Definitely wasn't planning to submit 200 pages, haha.

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds reasonable.

Timeline

You can download wechat to your pc and save the conversations (backup). It’s all in Chinese so if you don’t speak the language you can ask someone to do it for you. It makes it a lot easier and saves you time.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Roxyneu said:

You can download wechat to your pc and save the conversations (backup). It’s all in Chinese so if you don’t speak the language you can ask someone to do it for you. It makes it a lot easier and saves you time.

Thanks for your response. I read and write Chinese fluently, so I can manage the translation myself. If I downloaded my entire Wechat records it would be hundreds and hundreds of pages long. According to other responses here, that's way too much, so I'll just choose a few excerpts of our chat record as evidence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.