unknownuser

Left U.S. after divorce K1, what visa to come back?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

I arrived in the U.S. in August 2016, and got married in October 2016. During the engagement, I found out my wife was cheating with some guy working at Walmart. Now I decided just to continue as I already spent a lot of money to be together and I didn't see why I wouldn't give it a chance, after all, maybe it was just the wait to be together that caused it to happen.

After we were married, I continued the paperwork and we moved with her parents to another state (from Missouri to Florida). But she started getting homesick missing her friends. It was also a bad location for me to find a job. Eventually I found one 80 miles from her parents home. She would still continue to live at her parents home, because she was going to a special needs school having failed college twice.

After leaving at 4AM every morning and coming home around 9PM from work at her parents place, I caved and went to live in AirBnb during the week near my job. Then I came home in the weekends. But she always thought I was cheating and I was there for the green card. All I did was trying to provide, and get our lives started with what we had.

Eventually I went through a car accident scam, bed bugs in an apartment lease as well as fleas during my 4 month employment. And then the divorce happened in May 2017.

I went home in June 2017, afraid of being targeted for marrying for a green card...

But honestly, ever since I arrived back in my home country, my life feels empty, I don't feel home. It's kind of a weird thing to say, but I miss living in the U.S., despite all the crime and bad experiences. Maybe it's the fact that maybe I didn't even try hard enough? Should I have tried finding a job closer to home? I went really far respecting her and her family, going to Mormon church, even though I am not even religious. I went every Sunday, and loved the people I met there.

Even though I can live of 35% of my net salary in Belgium. I would be able to retire here in 5 years when I become 34. I don't target the U.S. specifically, see below.

Now is there anything I can do to go back to the U.S.? Right now I am married to a Filipina, she moved to my home country now. I've considered the lottery, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle. Because I would need to file separately for my Filipina wife.

Then there is the investor visa program which required 500k in capital. But then Australia is also worth to be considered, given it's closer to her family in Philippines.

Everything in my home country remembers me about the bad experience, which is probably the reason why I'd like a fresh start somewhere else. Worst case, I've been thinking of moving to Philippines.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Philippines seems a good option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Philippines seems a good option.

Probably the more realistic one than US.

Other would be DV lottery if you want to try it.

If you have some specials skills/occupation, you might look into the work visa.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.