Rapha85

Birth Certificate of my daughter not accepted!! What now?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So in the year your daughter was born in it was not recorded in an official system that she has been born? I find that crazy if there isn't such a record in Netherlands. If there is that should suffice as registration imo. 

With DNA you'll have to wait for the embassy to give you the go-ahead first and the process won't be quick.

2 hours ago, LizM said:

It might be that the person adjudicating your case is a newbie. In Sweden we do not have birth certificates at all, and our document proving birth date, place and parents is called "Extract from the population register". I have seen Swedes get RFEs for this, because adjudicators didn't take the time to actually read the country-specific instructions. Our country-specific instructions clearly state what type of document Sweden provides.

If the DNA test isn't too much of a hassle then maybe it's worth doing. But honestly re-sending what you have, including an attachment describing that this is all there is, SHOULD be enough.

The same happens with UK divorce decrees. NVC has been known to reject them because they are not signed. But divorce decrees in the UK are not signed, they are only stamped. Sounds like OP got a newbie who hasn’t yet learnt that Dutch birth certificates do not carry a registration date. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 hours ago, nastra30 said:

So in the year your daughter was born in it was not recorded in an official system that she has been born? I find that crazy if there isn't such a record in Netherlands. If there is that should suffice as registration imo. 

With DNA you'll have to wait for the embassy to give you the go-ahead first and the process won't be quick.

It is recorded, but its just called your birth date. That's the date that your birth is registered in the Netherlands

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
12 hours ago, Rapha85 said:

Well again this is litteraly what the USCIS has send us in their letter: “The birth certificate submitted on behalf of xxx was issued on june 2018. However, USCIS is unable to determine when the birth was registered. Therefore, your must submit additional info documentary evidence”

So my daughter and I are from the Netherlands. We are moving to my wife in the USA. My NOA2 has been approved, so I don't have the greencard yet. Somehow they have different case numbers for me and my 13 yr old daughter. So for my daughter they need a request for evidence within 3 months otherwise they might cancel the whole process. 

They also gave me the option to do a DNA test to prove my daughter is my daughter. 

I guess I will contact the USCIS or the American Embassy in the Netherlands. Seems like you guys are just confused as I am about this whole thing.

Just FYI, don't contact the embassy, they don't have anything to do with the process right now and won't be able to help you. I think your best best is to call USCIS first thing in the morning and explain that the section 'birth date and place' is also the registration date on a Dutch birth certificate. Since a lot of other countries apparently do have this section, the officer that handled her case might not be aware of this.

You also mentioned you have full custody. This means it went through court. Does it say anywhere on the court documents that you are the father? That should be pretty good proof too if they want you to prove that she is your child and the birth certificate is not enough. Otherwise a DNA test is prob your best option, but contact USCIS first.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, geowrian said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Netherlands.html

"Birth Certificates

Available

Fees: Vary depending or administrative district municipality/ City Hall within the Netherlands

Document Name: Uittreksel uit de geboorteakte, Dienst van de burgerlijke stand

Issuing Authority: Civil Registry Office of the city/town where the birth was registered

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Local registrar’s office official seal, white paper, different format depending on issuance date

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Civil servant officer at the registrar’s office

Registration Criteria: There are no registration criteria

Procedure for Obtaining: Differs per municipality. Online; Personal appearance; Submit written request to the City Hall /municipality place of birth

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are available

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents

Exceptions: None

Comments: Available in standard Dutch language and international versions."

Is the item in red noted above what you provided? If not, get that.

Otherwise, I would also suggest sending them a printout of that page showing that the document you provided is the correct one.

This is exactly the process I would follow first.  I bet someone at USCIS just didn't pay attention.  Although to be more charitable, they must see so many different versions of birth certificates that they get confused.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

7 hours ago, geowrian said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Netherlands.html

"Birth Certificates

Available

Fees: Vary depending or administrative district municipality/ City Hall within the Netherlands

Document Name: Uittreksel uit de geboorteakte, Dienst van de burgerlijke stand

Issuing Authority: Civil Registry Office of the city/town where the birth was registered

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Local registrar’s office official seal, white paper, different format depending on issuance date

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Civil servant officer at the registrar’s office

Registration Criteria: There are no registration criteria

Procedure for Obtaining: Differs per municipality. Online; Personal appearance; Submit written request to the City Hall /municipality place of birth

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are available

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents

Exceptions: None

Comments: Available in standard Dutch language and international versions."

Is the item in red noted above what you provided? If not, get that.

Otherwise, I would also suggest sending them a printout of that page showing that the document you provided is the correct one.

Yes, thank you so that's exactly what I got. Uittreksel uit de geboorteakte, Dienst van de burgerlijke stand.

And still they say it's not good enough because it doesn't have the date of registration, only the date of birth. But that's how they issue it here.

My lawyer says I should send them a DNA test that is AABB certified. So that will be another 400 euros almost and another delay of a few months probably. Thanks USCIS for doing such a shitty job

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

They are doing this because in many countries late registration is an issue and some people seems to use this to fraudulently bring children through immigration. But it is ridiculous to hear this approach from Netherlands. 

I believe you can also get an affidavit from mother and/or 2 people  (google late registeration uscis policies-I’m not saying she was registered late, but some of these can be used as proof).

I would ask them what kind of documentation they received from applicants before. Which will probably stop them on their tracks 🤷🏻‍♀️

Another suggestion is to maybe submit your court records showing you have full custody of your child. Which should also be a good proof.

dna sounds ridiculous to me for this purpose..

Edited by Naes

On 2/12/2019 at 7:23 AM, MsNina said:

Im totally confused. I did not send any birth documents for my beneficiary or his child..that will be done at the interview...im sorry i dont have much to offer..but i suggest someone start calling uscis to get this verified..and you also cant have an rfe and an approval..its one or the other ...so maybe you need to bring that evidence to the interview is what they mean? 🤷🏾‍♀️ never heard of this response and their are plenty beneficiaries with children.

You are a K-1.  The OP is a CR-1.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

3 minutes ago, MsNina said:

Right. I realized that later if you look at my last post ...

Good luck on your journey!  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Just now, MsNina said:

Yes.. you too.. almost done yet???

That is the million dollar question!  We are one day closer but we have no idea.  We are in that period between USCIS and NVC.  It has been 2 weeks and no notification that NVC has received the petitions.  The NVC stage is longer for us but it would be nice to know where the petitions actually are.   

IMG_5168.jpeg

Just now, John & Rose said:

That is the million dollar question!  We are one day closer but we have no idea.  We are in that period between USCIS and NVC.  It has been 2 weeks and no notification that NVC has received the petitions.  The NVC stage is longer for us but it would be nice to know where the petitions actually are.   

Right..but this is a trend now since they are pushig through all the petitions so quickly....i wish you well...i understand and feel your pain too well..💔

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.