Rapha85

Birth Certificate of my daughter not accepted!! What now?

29 posts in this topic

Hello. I have full custody of my teenage daughter. And I'm moving with my daughter to my wife in the USA. My case was approved, but for my daughter they need a RFE (request for evidence). This is what the USCIS says:  “The birth certificate submitted on behalf of xxx was issued on june 2018. However, USCIS is unable to determine when the birth was registered. Therefore, your must submit additional info documentary evidence”

I called the municipality of my city where they issue the birth certificates and they say there is no such thing as a date of birth registration on the birth certificate. On dutch birth certificates it only says who the parents are and when the person was born, and the date of issue.

(The USCIS didn't ask this about my birth certificate by the way that looks the same)

I also have to prove now within 3 months that she is my daughter. Even though she has my last name and it says on the birth certificate that i'm her father. Very strange. Did anyone else had these issues? Did anyone else go trough this? Please give me some advice if you know anything. I guess I'll have to do a DNA test to prove to them she is my daughter? 

Ignore - just re-read and saw she is a teenager. 

Is the date of birth listed on the birth certificate? 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

29 minutes ago, JFH said:

Ignore - just re-read and saw she is a teenager. 

Is the date of birth listed on the birth certificate? 

Yes the date of birth is listed on the birth certificate of course. But the USCIS says they need a date of registration on the birth certificate. So the date of when her birth was registered. But they never put that on dutch birth certificates here. So I don't know what to do next

Edited by Rapha85

Just now, Rapha85 said:

Yes the date of birth is listed on the birth certificate. But the USCIS says they need a date of registration on the birth certificate. So the date of notification of birth probably. But they never put that on dutch birth certificates here. So I don't know what to do next

Im confused. Why does USCIS need your documents...are you the petitioner or beneficiary? 

2 minutes ago, Rapha85 said:

beneficiary

Im totally confused. I did not send any birth documents for my beneficiary or his child..that will be done at the interview...im sorry i dont have much to offer..but i suggest someone start calling uscis to get this verified..and you also cant have an rfe and an approval..its one or the other ...so maybe you need to bring that evidence to the interview is what they mean? 🤷🏾‍♀️ never heard of this response and their are plenty beneficiaries with children.

Edited by MsNina

5 minutes ago, MsNina said:

Im totally confused. I did not send any birth documents for my beneficiary or his child..that will be done at the interview...im sorry i dont have much to offer..but i suggest someone start calling uscis to get this verified..and you also cant have an rfe and an approval..its one or the other ...so maybe you need to bring that evidence to the interview is what they mean? 🤷🏾‍♀️ never heard of this response and their are plenty beneficiaries with children.

Well again this is litteraly what the USCIS has send us in their letter: “The birth certificate submitted on behalf of xxx was issued on june 2018. However, USCIS is unable to determine when the birth was registered. Therefore, your must submit additional info documentary evidence”

So my daughter and I are from the Netherlands. We are moving to my wife in the USA. My NOA2 has been approved, so I don't have the greencard yet. Somehow they have different case numbers for me and my 13 yr old daughter. So for my daughter they need a request for evidence within 3 months otherwise they might cancel the whole process. 

They also gave me the option to do a DNA test to prove my daughter is my daughter. 

I guess I will contact the USCIS or the American Embassy in the Netherlands. Seems like you guys are just confused as I am about this whole thing.

7 minutes ago, Rapha85 said:

Well again this is litteraly what the USCIS has send us in their letter: “The birth certificate submitted on behalf of xxx was issued on june 2018. However, USCIS is unable to determine when the birth was registered. Therefore, your must submit additional info documentary evidence”

So my daughter and I are from the Netherlands. We are moving to my wife in the USA. My NOA2 has been approved, so I don't have the greencard yet. Somehow they have different case numbers for me and my 13 yr old daughter. So for my daughter they need a request for evidence within 3 months otherwise they might cancel the whole process. 

They also gave me the option to do a DNA test to prove my daughter is my daughter. 

I guess I will contact the USCIS or the American Embassy in the Netherlands. Seems like you guys are just confused as I am about this whole thing.

Ok. Well what type of petition is this CR1?

Edited by MsNina

18 minutes ago, Rapha85 said:

Ok. Well what type of petition is this CR1? Ok nevermind ..yes..so what you will need to do is try to get something in writing that has the raised seal certifiying when the birth was registered..you can do dna test..but it may take longer...i would try gettung an additional document from the registrar for birth certificates and explain to them that it is for visa purposes and they should know what will suffice...addditionally..it is correct that your daughter will have a different case number because she needs her own visa that will need to renewed as well until you get citizenship...i hope this helps a little.

Uhm. So your daughter is not your wife's daughter or isnt able to get USC from your wife?

And there was a separate I-130 filed for both YOU and the child?  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Seems DNA test is the most viable option. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don`t know how Netherlands birth certificate look like, I am from Russia and my birth certificate has info when my birth was registered.

For instance, it says that MrsCrabs "was born on Jan 1 1980 which was registered at Municipal Hall of Registration book on Jan 5 1980".

May be that`s what  they want?

Shawn and Olga married in Russia May 7th 2013

IR-1 process

USCIS:

6/11/2015: Filed I-130 petition

6/13/2015: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

6/15/2015: Petition is accepted by USCIS (California)

6/17/2015: NOA1 received via email/text

6/23/2015: NOA1 received via mail

8/18/2015: USCIS approved petition online - 63 days from NOA 1

8/22/2015: NOA2 received via mail

NVC:

9/8/2015: NVC received the case

9/22/2015: got case number and invoice number via phone

9/22/2015: submitted DS-261 Choice of agent

9/22/2015: paid AOS fee $120 - IN PROCESS

9/24/2015: AOS fee shows PAID

9/28/2015: NVC Welcome Letter is received (issued on Sept 21st)

10/1/2015: AOS package sent to NVC

10/5/2015: AOS package delivered to NVC

10/5/2015: SCAN DATE for AOS package

10/6/2015: confirmed DS-261 over the phone

10/7/2015: email from NVC - husband is chosen as agent and IV fee is invoiced

10/8/2015: paid IV fee $325 - IN PROCESS

10/8/015: IV package sent to NVC

10/10/2015: IV fee shows PAID

10/11/2015: submitted DS-260 and got confirmation

10/13/2015: IV package delivered to NVC

10/13/2015: SCAN DATE for IV package

11/24/2015: Case Complete at NVC

12/2/2015: Case Complete letter from NVC

EMBASSY:

2/10/2016: Interview scheduled for March 15th 2016 :dancing:

Medical exam scheduled on March 14th 2016

2/10/2016: Interview Letter Received (P4)

2/16/2016: CEAC shows CASE IN TRANSIT

2/18/2016: CEAC shows READY

3/14/2016: medical exam passed

3/15/2016: interview - APPROVED! Status ISSUED - Your visa has been printed.

3/17/2016: call from Pony Express - visa is delivered to my town

POE:

4/19/2016: Moscow - New York - Atlanta

8 minutes ago, MrsCrabs said:

I don`t know how Netherlands birth certificate look like, I am from Russia and my birth certificate has info when my birth was registered.

For instance, it says that MrsCrabs "was born on Jan 1 1980 which was registered at Municipal Hall of Registration book on Jan 5 1980".

May be that`s what  they want?

Yes so that’s exactly what they want but that’s not possible on dutch birth certificates. Very weird. 

And for the other people who asked; my wife is American and yeah my 13 yr old is not her daughter. I guess I will do the dna test to prove to the uscis she is really my daughter and I will send them the prove that I have full custody. 

Thank you all for your replies and help tough

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

So did you just get a new copy of the birth certificate and gave them that? When they see the issues on June 2018 it does not sound like that is the original birth certificate for your daughter. ?

56 minutes ago, Rapha85 said:

Yes so that’s exactly what they want but that’s not possible on dutch birth certificates. Very weird. 

And for the other people who asked; my wife is American and yeah my 13 yr old is not her daughter. I guess I will do the dna test to prove to the uscis she is really my daughter and I will send them the prove that I have full custody. 

Thank you all for your replies and help tough

It might be that the person adjudicating your case is a newbie. In Sweden we do not have birth certificates at all, and our document proving birth date, place and parents is called "Extract from the population register". I have seen Swedes get RFEs for this, because adjudicators didn't take the time to actually read the country-specific instructions. Our country-specific instructions clearly state what type of document Sweden provides.

If the DNA test isn't too much of a hassle then maybe it's worth doing. But honestly re-sending what you have, including an attachment describing that this is all there is, SHOULD be enough.

Edited by LizM

h

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.